SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

58 minutes ago, NSEP said:

2019: BFS radially attached to booster

Hey! Who’s being reading Energia-2 version 2 design concepts!?

For the most advanced version they were going to do away with kerolox strap-ons and just radially attach a second winged hydrolox core with no payload or TPS. 

13 minutes ago, DDE said:

Still better than the prequel.

Radical plan change: going to Tatooine instead of Mars.

Spaceship fully reusable, as long as there’s a wookiee on board.

Edited by sh1pman

4 hours ago, tater said:

Now people can wonder what is "Delightfully counter-intuitive." Let the insane speculation begin! 

BFR doesn't move itself into orbit around the Earth. It moves Earth into orbit around the BFR. To land it puts Earth back where it's supposed to be.

Calling it now.

(Top that for insane speculation!)

Edited by Jaelommiss

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I wonder, how many more changes are they going to do...

*Worry intensifies*

Don't get me wrong, the F9 and BFR are obviously different beasts. However, isn't trying to recover the F9 second stage (if only for more DATA towards BFR landing) still worth attempting at less money and material than testing on early BFR? Is it that there's little to learn from it as opposed to just working on landing the BFR second stage? Granted, we don't refuel F9 in orbit.

29 minutes ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

*Worry intensifies*

Don't get me wrong, the F9 and BFR are obviously different beasts. However, isn't trying to recover the F9 second stage (if only for more DATA towards BFR landing) still worth attempting at less money and material than testing on early BFR? Is it that there's little to learn from it as opposed to just working on landing the BFR second stage? Granted, we don't refuel F9 in orbit.

Don’t confuse reuse with recovery;) Elon had mentioned a long while back that reuse of the F9 upper stage was back on the table, sounds like that’s what’s changed. They still need the reentry data from the “mini-BFS”, which isn’t being done with the intention of reuse but just recovery, specifically recovery of that data. 

Or, Musk decided to scrap it all and just build a Millenium Friggin Falcon. :rolleyes:

When the first BFS tank dome was complete, SpaceX probably threw a little party. And someone put a party hat on the tank dome to celebrate.

When he saw it, Musk got quiet, then he called over his engineers, then someone from the carbon fiber line. The party fizzled out.

Now BFR is moved to the LEFT, falcon second stage reuse is canceled,and we're hearing about a radical redesign.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Or, Musk decided to scrap it all and just build a Millenium Friggin Falcon. :rolleyes:

I don't know about that, but once we've got orbital assembly and asteroid mining really kicking I really, really want to see a full size Star Destroyer...

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

What is that ginormous oil-rig-looking thing tho? :o

Where do you think they get the RP-1?

Mining your fuel from the runway... #ItWorksInKSP.