SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Scott Manley talks about the anatomy of the Raptor engine (starting at 1:30), and other recent SpaceX happenings.

"I'm not a rocket scientist, but I play one on the internet." So say we all! :D

Edited by Cunjo Carl

A rocket ship that only Jeb could love.

I dunno - I wouldn't place any bets against SpaceX at this point (and I think most folks reading this will know my favourable trending towards fanboy opinion of SpaceX) but this seems an awful long way away from Falcon 9 manufacture. I guess you don't need such fancy fabrication techniques when you're working in stainless steel?

Still - it's hard to imagine that thing flying to orbit.

3 hours ago, KSK said:

Still - it's hard to imagine that thing flying to orbit.

Yeah, we'll have to see what exactly the prototype is required to actually do. Elon had tweeted ages ago (lol, mid last year is "ages") that he was thinking about testing BFS concepts on F9 stage 2.

Assume for a minute that S2 costs some millions of dollars. Then the question is how cheaply can they build a sort of Starship boilerplate for proof of concept testing (skydiver, etc) from a suborbital spaceflight, then orbital (just barely) flight? I'm assuming that perhaps the "orbital" test article might really be a suborbital spacecraft. Meaning it passes 100km, and might even be theoretically capable of SSTO, but they won't test it that far.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, we'll have to see what exactly the prototype is required to actually do. Elon had tweeted ages ago (lol, mid last year is "ages") that he was thinking about testing BFS concepts on F9 stage 2.

Assume for a minute that S2 costs some millions of dollars. Then the question is how cheaply can they build a sort of Starship boilerplate for proof of concept testing (skydiver, etc) from a suborbital spaceflight, then orbital (just barely) flight? I'm assuming that perhaps the "orbital" test article might really be a suborbital spacecraft. Meaning it passes 100km, and might even be theoretically capable of SSTO, but they won't test it that far.

I assume the orbital prototype will go into orbit if it survives so long. 
They will obviously start with static fire and other testing then they probably start to work on transition between aerobrake and landing burn this require rotating the fins and also get starship to go back first. 
I assume they will do this higher up than standard to give more time to handle problems. 
Then suborbital and last orbital, this require the superheavy first stage.
Don't think they will try an ssto even if capable simply because of margins, yes if they find they can and still have enough fuel for cooling and landing then perhaps, it also depending on the state of first stage. 

41 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I sincerely hope they do an SSTO test. I think it would gain a lot of attention from possible investors, and it would also be cool as hell.

There wouldn't be much, point tho, I'm afraid. The term gets tossed around like some holy grail, but it's just not that important. Starship might be able to SSTO, but with no payload, and more importantly, without enough fuel to get back. So they'd essentially be throwing the vessel away and creating a huge piece of space junk, for little gain other than a mild "gee whiz" factor.

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I was just looking up ISS passes and it hit me...

no, not the ISS, or I wouldn’t be typing this

... with such a reflective surface, and being so huge, could the Starship potentially outshine the Space Station?

So... Starship hit you, then?

Good question, actually, it would DEFINITELY be visible, at least- probably more reflective than any spacecraft- drawing a line between space stations, satellites, and spacecraft here.

One thing's for certain: that would be really, really cool.

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

... with such a reflective surface, and being so huge, could the Starship potentially outshine the Space Station?

Russia's next Moonlight generator.

For making Siberians happy.

15 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

The bulk of what we see from the station is reflected off dark solar panels. I think it's quite unlikely the station will be able to outshine an actual mirror.

Y'know, now that you mention it, I'm surprised nobody's done the math on this- taking the albedo of stainless steel and calculating exactly how bright this could be, in ideal conditions (also, how far from Earth would it still be visible?). I'd do it myself if I knew how to and had enough time.

Edited by ThatGuyWithALongUsername

19 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

It could SSTO, then be used as a wetlab. and it could be done at the end of a SS's life?

I support this idea. Starship should already have solar panels, a micrometeorite shield, and thermal protection from the sun already, so converting it into a space station shouldn't be that hard, just send another Starship or other spacecraft there with equipment and furnite and you have 2000+ cubic meters of volume to play with.