SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Original design was 12m, with the gear bulges adding 5m (17m total at widest point).

So if 9m is core diameter, it's 75% scale, if it's the widest point (likely not) it's 53% scale. Seems like the gear would be attached later. So call it a 9m core.

Full size Raptor vac is around 4m. Raptor is under 2m. Looks like you could just fit 3 fixed vac engines, and 3 raptors all in a sort of 6 pointed star, alternating engines.

The original design has 6 vacs, and 3 regular. So the regulars should be able to land if they throttle deep enough.

Alternately, you could do 2 and 2, or rescale such that you get what you need.

20 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Think something like ITS would need an escape module with just the crew seating area.

And as an escape capsule would be comparable with the full ship size, the only real way is systems redundancy, Like 8 engines instead of 4.

21 minutes ago, Mighty1 said:

How does  the F9 second stage reignite? Does it have RCS, ulage or does it have some kind of internal systems for keeping fuel on the pumps?

It has cold-gas nitrogen thrusters for roll control, attitude control during coast, and ullage. The nitrogen thrusters produce ullage and then a TEA-TEB shot is used to relight the engine.

5 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

it might be pressure-fed..?

The Kestrel engine on the Falcon 1 was pressure-fed, but even it needed ullage and an ignition system.

Here are some potential layouts for the engine clusters on a 9-meter Raptor-based RHLV:

engine_layouts_9m_ITS.png

Bottom is probable first stage configuration; top shows two different possibilities for the upper stage. The right-hand configuration is useful if they want more S2 thrust...e.g., for fully-loaded takeoffs (like from Mars or the Moon).

A probable mission approach for Moon landings would be going alongside a tanker into a lunar free-return, transferring propellant from the tanker to the mission vehicle while still in transit, and then braking to capture and land with the mission vehicle while the tanker completes the free-return and comes back to Earth EDL.

A 9-meter Raptor would be able to take even the largest Falcon Heavy payloads into LEO and beyond with full reuse.

At this level, I think a payload bay would be a better idea than a separate payload fairing.

The previous architecture has the outer rings on stage 1 fixed, with the core engines with gimbal.

I would say that 3 vac on S2 makes more sense, since the 12m version was going to TO on Mars, and land on Earth with just 3. 6 would be overkill.

The downside of the US layouts are that the original design has the landing engines close to centerline, so an engine out might not be fatal. With the landing engines on the outside, that might be an issue.

I suppose the vac engines could be moved outboard, with a fairing sort of like the landing leg strake/winglet/pods, only curved to cover the bells... just enough for a single Raptor on the centerline.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

The previous architecture has the outer rings on stage 1 fixed, with the core engines with gimbal.

I would say that 3 vac on S2 makes more sense, since the 12m version was going to TO on Mars, and land on Earth with just 3. 6 would be overkill.

The downside of the US layouts are that the original design has the landing engines close to centerline, so an engine out might not be fatal. With the landing engines on the outside, that might be an issue.

The one with two vacuum engines has far better engine-out landing capability.

Tomorrow I'll try to throw together a mockup in KSP with liberal use of Tweakscale...

18 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

At this level, I think a payload bay would be a better idea than a separate payload fairing.

I agree. Would save mass and money on a separate recovery system for the fairings. Also, less separation events, which means less failure points.

Do you see what I mean about putting some curved fairings on to shield the bells, and moving the Rvac engines just enough outboard to fit a center engine?

Such a layout could also keep 3 Raptors, but tuck them far closer to center.

43 minutes ago, tater said:

The 12m version was going to take off from Mars with all nine engines. The Raptor Vacuum engines have no trouble taking off on Mars; the overexpansion is too minimal to make a difference.

Landing engines on the outside give better roll control on landing, something it would lack without grid fins.

I suppose the vac engines could be moved outboard, with a fairing sort of like the landing leg strake/winglet/pods, only curved to cover the bells... just enough for a single Raptor on the centerline.

Like the shrouds on the Falcon 9v1.0? Seems unlikely, particularly because of how tough it would be to integrate into the interstage. And then you'd again have no roll control on the core engine. Not a problem in a vacuum, because the thrusters can handle it, but problematic during EDL (either on Mars or Earth). Grid fins would have virtually no bite on Mars but the drag would be high enough to demand roll authority.

38 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I agree. Would save mass and money on a separate recovery system for the fairings. Also, less separation events, which means less failure points.

Still potentially permits a cabin-eject LES. Not sure about how the bay closure seam would interact with the mold line and the heat shield, though. If they scrapped the Dragon 2 landing legs because of problems with popping through the heat shield, this would be an even bigger problem.

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Still potentially permits a cabin-eject LES. Not sure about how the bay closure seam would interact with the mold line and the heat shield, though. If they scrapped the Dragon 2 landing legs because of problems with popping through the heat shield, this would be an even bigger problem.

I have some ideas, I'll draw them when I get back home.

From what I've heard on Reddit, it was a ridiculously close call and insiders say they're not going to release it for PR reasons.

Firstly, look at the scorch trail across the barge. Also the last frame shows spray being kicked up way off the mark. The rocket clearly pulled some crazy last minute manoeuvres.

Secondly, insiders describe the booster balancing on one leg and nearly toppling. There is also a reference to CRS6 and the little thruster that couldn't. Apparently this time it could.

So the video sounds ridiculously awesome, but don't hold out any hope for a release!

Edited by RCgothic

21 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

From what I've heard on Reddit, it was a ridiculously close call and insiders say they're not going to release it for PR reasons.

Firstly, look at the scorch trail across the barge. Also the last frame shows spray being kicked up way of the mark. The rocket clearly pulled some crazy last minute manoeuvres.

Secondly, insiders describe the booster balancing on one leg and nearly toppling. There is also a reference to CRS6 and the little thruster that couldn't. Apparently this time it could.

So the video sounds ridiculously awesome, but don't hold out any hope for a release!

*hopes harder* 

We all should keep spamming Musk on twitter about it until he answers :P 

Given the recent announcements about the D2 landing legs, nixing Red Dragon, and downscaling ITS, I can see why they might not want to make that release right now. Maybe in the future, when they have some better news to mix it with, like after a fully successful FH flight. 

That, or someone is eventually going to end up leaking it. 

51 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

I, for one, wouldn't mind that.

So would others, who have a lot more money than you to throw at it (I'm assuming <_<). Others' Questionable ethics aside, I think it would be far more wise for SpaceX to release it soon, on their own terms, vs the inevitable leak. Not that they listen to me. :rolleyes: