Skylon

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Just land it in the BO parking lot. /s

Space Race power move, land your rocket in the competitions backyard.

Jeff- 'Dammit Elon, why!?'

Elon- 'Meh, didn't think you would be using the space.'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Treveli said:

Space Race power move, land your rocket in the competitions backyard.

Jeff- 'Dammit Elon, why!?'

Elon- 'Meh, didn't think you would be using the space.'

3 days later, a New Shepard comes crashing through Elon's house.

Jokes aside, does anyone know why Falcon 9s have double sonic booms?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Jokes aside, does anyone know why Falcon 9s have double sonic booms?

Bow wave and stern wave.

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/listing.php?id=1047&t=double-sonic-booms!

Any abrupt change in cross-sectional area actually creates a wave (and the associated wave drag), which is where "area ruling" comes from. But the bow wave where area goes from nothing to something) and the stern wave (where area goes from something to nothing) are usually the biggest. They often tend to merge into a single wave at some distance from the source, but depending on their speed, the shape of the object, the distance of the observer, etc., they can be heard as two separate waves. The Space Shuttle was often heard as a "double boom" during re-entry.

 

Edited by mikegarrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoiler
9 hours ago, tater said:

Back to the pad:

Is that black silhouette a slowpoke technician or a painted body counter?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

Is that black silhouette a slowpoke technician or a painted body counter?

 

Maybe they paint one on the side for every worker blown into the gulf of Mexico by the exhaust?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Is that black silhouette a slowpoke technician or a painted body counter?

Actually, that would be kinda neat if, on the boosters, capsules, and Starships, they painted a marker for every mission flown. 

"'Booster ace' 'Don't Read the Instructions' has made its 25th landing today. Leading the scoreboards is 'I Left Something Behind' at 32 successful missions."

The survival rates are probably better than those of WWI aces...

 

3 hours ago, tater said:

Maybe they paint one on the side for every worker blown into the gulf of Mexico by the exhaust?

(OSHA raises hand)

Edited by GearsNSuch
Ooh, post 111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, GearsNSuch said:

Actually, that would be kinda neat if, on the boosters, capsules, and Starships, they painted a marker for every mission flown. 

"'Booster ace' 'Don't Read the Instructions' has made its 25th landing today. Leading the scoreboards is 'I Left Something Behind' at 32 successful missions."

Tweet this to Elon. It might be an excellent way of shaping public opinion on how safe rockets are, especially in the point to point market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

They already paint those on Dragons, it seems. Probably don't care about boosters as much since they are meant to have finite launches (the goal is like 25-ish right now?). Edit: maybe also because the stickers would end up under soot, anyway.

Edited by Wjolcz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

They already paint those on Dragons, it seems. Probably don't care about boosters as much since they are meant to have finite launches (the goal is like 25-ish right now?). Edit: maybe also because the stickers would end up under soot, anyway.

Sticker on, launch, remove sticker, job done .

 

youd have continually darkening silhouettes then the more launches they survive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting if true:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That's the booster for the upcoming launch, ready for a swim :(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tater said:
That's the booster for the upcoming launch, ready for a swim :(

It's weird how this is so legitimately unsettling.  It's like... yeah, they may catch the fairing, but the boosters are people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Geonovast said:

It's weird how this is so legitimately unsettling.  It's like... yeah, they may catch the fairing, but the boosters are people.

Boosters have names, even if they're just numbers... :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Boosters have names, even if they're just numbers... :unsure:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Boosters have names, even if they're just numbers...

Spoiler

spacex.jpg?fit=750,425&ssl=1giphy.gif

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Geonovast said:

It's weird how this is so legitimately unsettling.  It's like... yeah, they may catch the fairing, but the boosters are people.

Thank you for your service Mr Booster *_*

Edited by Dale Christopher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst it is out of the norm these days for space x to throw something in the drink (intentionally - I’m looking at you heavy cores!) we have to consider this booster has been used twice already so has probably already paid for itself as far as space x are concerned.

 

its easy to forget that everyone else throws them away after 1 use, this one is going after 3. Which is worth noting that customers are also happier these days to pay for a used booster. 

 

It wasn’t that long ago people were convinced customers wouldn’t pay for a used booster 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No gridfins, no legs - it looks naked ;.;

Well, I bet there are a lot of rocket friends for it at the bottom of the Atlantic...

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

No gridfins, no legs - it looks naked ;.;

Well, I bet there are a lot of rocket friends for it at the bottom of the Atlantic...

Yeah, it will rest in a good company. Who knows? Maybe couple of hundreds of years in the future, underwater archeologists will comb seafloor in search of early space age artifacts? We've already fished up Saturn's first stage (remains of) and placed engines in museum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Maybe couple of hundreds of years in the future, underwater archeologists will comb seafloor in search of early space age artifacts?

I guess, much sooner, on the next upgrade of national anti-sub sonar/magnetometer networks, lol.
They will map all metal scrap.

Edited by kerbiloid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

No gridfins, no legs - it looks naked ;.;

Well, I bet there are a lot of rocket friends for it at the bottom of the Atlantic...

source.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B1047.2 chosen for the sacrifice. Previously flown with Telstar 19V and Es'Hail 2 .

 

It is almost time to join us, brother.

DsOqi4G.png

(From r/spacexmasterrace)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, it’s like a funeral in here. :(

In happier news:

We have a thrust structure in the pipe! :D

...soon to be literally so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopper back to the pad, and a launch Sunday (albeit a sad, expendable launch).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.