Jump to content

SpaceX Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

I think the FAA has to issue a Certificate of Authorization for the Waiver request before SpaceX can legally fly, but you can have a NOTAM issued through the contractor that does such things for the FAA a week ahead of time (without having the COA yet). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tater said:

We’re from the government, and we’re here to help...

Now please, sign these forms and wait until we get back to you in 2 to 3 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tater said:

We’re from the government, and we’re here to help...

Better than having a "fire sale" for private firefighters who are waiting to be paid before they save your house.

 

"A Libertarian believes the government should not do anything a person can reasonably do themselves. A Socialist believes the government should do everything a person can not reasonably do themselves. If they could ever agree on what a reasonable person could do, there would be no stopping them."

Edited by Rakaydos
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

21 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

I'm still wondering how will they transport the fully assembled rockets and starships? They can't just lay them horizontally, can they? And transporting it horizontally will be quite a challenge.

IIRC Musk has said they’ll never go horizontal. Once everything is at the Space Center it’s pretty easy, how they’ll move from Cocoa I have no idea, don’t think there’s a barge dock close by. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rakaydos said:

Better than having a "fire sale" for private firefighters who are waiting to be paid before they save your house.

"A Libertarian believes the government should not do anything a person can reasonably do themselves. A Socialist believes the government should do everything a person can not reasonably do themselves. If they could ever agree on what a reasonable person could do, there would be no stopping them."

:) true , note that the Roman empire did not want local firefighting groups even if it would be obviously beneficially. 
Reason it might make an core of an resistance group. 
Nor did they organized themselves, easy to add to the task of the local garrison. 

But yes perspective kind of change, the Roman empire who might be the most powerful empire in its time  would obvious been seen as an failed state today. 
Same with imperial china. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

But yes perspective kind of change, the Roman empire who might be the most powerful empire in its time  would obvious been seen as an failed state today. 

476 AD +753 BC -1 = 1228

2019 - 1228 = 791 AD

Indeed. Just losers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Better than having a "fire sale" for private firefighters who are waiting to be paid before they save your house.

They have their own fire truck ;)

Having the FAA regulate this is not a big deal, having a painful bureaucracy that is torpid is a problem.

I doubt the FAA is waiting until their own people do computer simulations on Hopper blast wave propagation. Some guy is going to just look at it and sign off, and would regardless, but it will take a long time, because why would it not take  along time?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tater said:

They have their own fire truck ;)

Having the FAA regulate this is not a big deal, having a painful bureaucracy that is torpid is a problem.

I doubt the FAA is waiting until their own people do computer simulations on Hopper blast wave propagation. Some guy is going to just look at it and sign off, and would regardless, but it will take a long time, because why would it not take  along time?

 

I see it as growing pains for a buerocracy faced with something it's never experienced before. While legally the FAA is in charge, noone -IN- the FAA has any idea how to handle rapid iteration, and are falling back to CYA.

Where I come from, they would either get their act together before the next election, or we put local polititions on the spot until they agree that the problem should be fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

I'm still wondering how will they transport the fully assembled rockets and starships? They can't just lay them horizontally, can they? And transporting it horizontally will be quite a challenge.

If only there were some way that it could lift itself from one place to another. Say, by using its enormous fuel reservoir to power some sort of engine...

I know, I know. I'm just being silly. It's a good question.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Hide contents

 

 

Upd.
And don't think that I'm joking. There is no infrastructure on the Moon. So, this is just a lunar training.

Whoah... just imagine what kinda ginormous creepy-looking statues we could leave to weird out future alien archaeologists in 1/6th gravity... :o

50 minutes ago, Jaelommiss said:

If only there were some way that it could lift itself from one place to another. Say, by using its enormous fuel reservoir to power some sort of engine...

I know, I know. I'm just being silly. It's a good question.

You don’t even wanna know how long the permit for that would take... :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I notice that Elon listed "Control fins" and "Landing gear" separately in his tweet. Might this be a hint as to the redesign?

They still haven't added any legs to both Starships, and I think it's the most obvious thing to put on first. My guess is that landing gear will be extenable pistons attached around engines (three or four, maybe more), top fins more or less unchanged and extendable airbrakes on the sides.

I'm planning to make something like this in KSP, and I know how it sounds, but it's the simplest thing I can think of when trying to replicate the Starship-like reentry.

Edit: I know there are people smarter than me working on this. I just want to say 'CALLED IT' really bad in a week or two.

Edited by Wjolcz
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...