Skylon

SpaceX Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, magnemoe said:

And yes Elon, for reference and to not confuse none KSP players. 
ECW2GF3UIAAUyvw.png
This is an starship.
220px-BFR_in_flight_(cropped).png

This is an very capable fully reusable orbital rocket, who can be used in the inner solar system with orbital refueling

What is this?

starship-photo.jpg

Or this?

Jefferson_Starship_photo_1976_(names_cro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, magnemoe said:

This is an very capable fully reusable orbital rocket, who can be used in the inner solar system with orbital refueling

Quote

is

Spoiler

Untitled-1.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This answers my question up the thread about the structure in FL:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

VAT - Vertical Assembly Tent

"Place Starship in VAT and simmer for 90 days..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

VAT - Vertical Assembly Tent

Except that they built it outside the tent, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tater said:

Except that they built it outside the tent, lol.

To be fair, they didn't have the tent when they built it I think. The next one will probably be built in there, and I would imagine that the heat shield will be put on in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

To be fair, they didn't have the tent when they built it I think. The next one will probably be built in there, and I would imagine that the heat shield will be put on in there.

I think the latter is likely the point, they can have safe platforms inside than just having people on cranes and cherry pickers. They also have to apply whatever wings/fins it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You folks aren’t thinking big enough. SpaceX have gone back to a traditional white painted rocket (although the shape is a bit innovative), which is now having its first engine installed prior to the hop test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KSK said:

You folks aren’t thinking big enough. SpaceX have gone back to a traditional white painted rocket (although the shape is a bit innovative), which is now having its first engine installed prior to the hop test.

I though it was supposed to be silvery shiny..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KSK was joking about the new white vertical assembly tent I believe.

The starships, booster and hopper are still shiny stainless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and walking next to it, one gets frightened by his 9 m wide distorted face.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

... and walking next to it, one gets frightened by his 9 m wide distorted face.

*Sits in room.

*Realizes room is smaller than diameter of starship.

Mind. Blown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much will the heat shield weigh, do you reckon? Maybe that's what the extra first stage outboard engines will be for? Basically, to compensate for the additional weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 pm CDT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They promised a 200m hop, but are going to do only a 150m one. See, it’s typical SpaceX - so much promise, so little delivery! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

They promised a 200m hop, but are going to do only a 150m one. See, it’s typical SpaceX - so much promise, so little delivery! 

And it's literally DAYS after they promised it, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

They promised a 200m hop, but are going to do only a 150m one. See, it’s typical SpaceX - so much promise, so little delivery! 

I’m guessing that that’s all the FAA would authorize - but I’m also guessing your comment was tongue-in-cheek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I’m guessing that that’s all the FAA would authorize - but I’m also guessing your comment was tongue-in-cheek

I was alluding to the kind of SpaceX criticism by some other forum users on a certain neighboring thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.