SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

38 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So... we’ve got a launch time and approximate inclination here, could any of y’all numbers people extrapolate this and figure when a future pass might be?

Looks like there is a pass over the mountain west around 7:45pm.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, tater said:

Looks like there is a pass over the mountain west around 7:45pm.

A SpaceXhenge is on agenda.

A circle of stones marking important directions for SpaceX flight events where they are visible.
Maybe small pyramids or at least trilithons marking also angular altitudes of particular rockets on their passage.
Say, a Falcon Trilithon, a Starship Pyramid. Then where the stage separation happens, you can see a flash in the sky on the pyramid point or between the trilithon side stones.

Every SpaceXhenge with enough room inside in case if a sky charriot wants to land here. With a ritual italic "X" in center.
(Also known as "Notabarge of Earth" *), similar but opposed to the two floating "Notabarges of Sea" which bring back the sky charriots from behind the sea performing the natural daily cycle similar to the SunX and MoonX cycles.)

The future archaeologists will discover a whole Culture of SpaceXhenges, connected with underground hyperloop tunnels into giant pattern, looking like Nazca figures, but much wider and underground
Largest monoliths of the spacexhenges, as well as their gates pointing at the same point with ruins of giant concrete structures partially melted by fire.
(The ruins of the Temple of Fire, any archaelogoist will tell you for sure. Just look at these ritual handheld flamethrowers).

*) Just in case: ASDS is not a barge.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Interesting, they’re potentially launching with a dead sat, by the sound...

Why is this heavier than the previous starlink run? 
New, improved and heavier satellite I assume. 
They will need cross talk between the satellites or at least too the relays in 1100 km orbit. 

4 hours ago, kerbiloid said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A SpaceXhenge is on agenda.

A circle of stones marking important directions for SpaceX flight events where they are visible.
Maybe small pyramids or at least trilithons marking also angular altitudes of particular rockets on their passage.
Say, a Falcon Trilithon, a Starship Pyramid. Then where the stage separation happens, you can see a flash in the sky on the pyramid point or between the trilithon side stones.

Every SpaceXhenge with enough room inside in case if a sky charriot wants to land here. With a ritual italic "X" in center.
(Also known as "Notabarge of Earth" *), similar but opposed to the two floating "Notabarges of Sea" which bring back the sky charriots from behind the sea performing the natural daily cycle similar to the SunX and MoonX cycles.)

The future archaeologists will discover a whole Culture of SpaceXhenges, connected with underground hyperloop tunnels into giant pattern, looking like Nazca figures, but much wider and underground
Largest monoliths of the spacexhenges, as well as their gates pointing at the same point with ruins of giant concrete structures partially melted by fire.
(The ruins of the Temple of Fire, any archaelogoist will tell you for sure. Just look at these ritual handheld flamethrowers).

*) Just in case: ASDS is not a barge.

Other archaeologists hear of this discovery. They announce that this finally supports the existence of the so-called 'Bond villains' that terrorized the world in the late 20th and early 21st century. Clearly, the ruins are the structures that inspired the 'evil lairs' that appeared in the 'movies' that were produced to keep the public from panicking over their constant plans to rule/destroy the world.

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

I think it’s because these new satellites were made to completely burn up in the atmosphere, and this required some material changes.

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

According to Reddit, May's launch was 227kg per sat, ~13,670kg total.

On this launch it's up to 260kg per sat, 15,400kg total.

So the sats are indeed heavier. It may be as sh1pman says, material changes due to burn-up concerns, or they may simply be more capable. May's launch was v0.9 prototypes, whereas this is officially the Starlink-1 mission.

Edited by RCgothic

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

According to Reddit, May's launch was 227kg per sat, ~13,670kg total.

On this launch it's up to 260kg per sat, 15,400kg total.

So the sats are indeed heavier. It may be as sh1pman says, material changes due to burn-up concerns, or they may simply be more capable. May's launch was v0.9 prototypes, whereas this is officially the Starlink-1 mission.

I think the 0.9 had limited satellite to satellite communication. This is critical for the full version. 

Interestingly, 15,400kg to LEO is over 90% of Falcon 9 FT's nominal payload to LEO (reusable) according to Wikipedia.

I remember people saying payload to LEO is a nominal value for comparison that could never actually be used, and that the payload adaptors can't handle it. Wikipedia actually lists the F9 B5 PFA structural limit as less than 11te!

I guess payload to LEO isn't so nominal anymore.

Edited by RCgothic

11 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

Interestingly, 15,400kg to LEO is over 90% of Falcon 9 FT's nominal payload to LEO (reusable) according to Wikipedia.

I remember people saying payload to LEO is a nominal value for comparison that could never actually be used, and that the payload adaptors can't handle it. Wikipedia actually lists the F9 B5 PFA structural limit as lead than 11te!

I guess payload to LEO isn't so nominal anymore.

That's impressive! I suspect that the upper satellites are either somehow braced against the fairing, or they have a different PFA for this particular approach.

15,400 kg is quite impressive.

1 minute ago, Geonovast said:

I'm so excited.  I've been going through Falcon 9 withdrawl.

Wonder why they ditched recovering the fairings?

Sounds like it could be possible damage caused by rough seas yesterday.

Seas are calm today, so that's not the reason.