SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Gwynne Shotwell, SpaceX’s president and chief operating officer, said the company is poised to launch a lot more rockets next year.

“I think in 2020 we’ll do more, and that’s because of Starlink,” she said in a roundtable discussion with reporters earlier this month. “I think we will have 14 or 15 non-Starlink launches, and then we’ll fly Starlink as often as we can.

“I need second stages to be built a little bit faster, but we would probably shoot for 35 to 38 missions next year,” Shotwell said.

Next Starlink launch:

The next launch, scheduled for Jan. 3 at approximately 10:20 p.m. EST (0320 GMT on Jan. 4) from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station’s Complex 40 launch pad,

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

One would presume that they'll need to crank out a handful more boosters as well.

Maybe they've been secretly reusing the 2nd stage this whole time!

The article says they might build 10 new boosters in addition to stage 2s.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Maybe they've been secretly reusing the 2nd stage this whole time!

They've invented an eco-clean superfuel for the Dragon engines, but avoid publishing this because it will compete with Teslas.
The 2nd stage is just a ballast to be secretly dropped and splashed raight after the 1st one.

1 hour ago, Flying dutchman said:

So.. nothing happening with Starship at all?

What do you mean? Mk1 got pulled apart and Mk3 is being built right now in BC (+additional Vehicle Assembly Tents). Various parts and hardware were transported from Florida. Also, (hopefully) most of the SpaceX eployees are going to help with that because in 2020 the F9 production will slow down since they have and will have so many recovered and reused.

Edited by Wjolcz

23 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiight... I'm not skeptical but even if it's built by late spring it won't be THAT bad IMO.

Also, what does SN1 stand for again?

Soggy Naruto 1.

Probably Serial Number 1... it's interesting that they may have switched from Mk to SN. Maybe because Mk has gotten a bad rap because Mk1 and Mk2 will likely never fly.

Well technically Mk1 flew... Parts of Mk1 at least...

28 minutes ago, Barzon said:

Yeeeeaaahhhh. Sure. I doubt SN1 will be done by Q2 2020, going off Mk1, and plain common sense.

They moved workers from FL.

They automated the ring welding.

I bet it's substantially faster than Mk1. Their timelines on Starship have been off by a little, but still on the order of weeks/months, not years. 2020 is gonna be interesting.

7 hours ago, Elthy said:

Elon is soon going to run out of ideas for names of the different versions of their space hardware...

First, there are space joke references and pop culture references, then there are kerbal space program references.

Spoiler

"In honour of a game 100 years ago called Kerbal Space Program, our first new generation spaceship is called Jeb Kerman!"