SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

5 hours ago, RCgothic said:

There won't be any (unintended) rotation as the engine points through the CoM.

There will probably be a slight horizontal kick as SN4 takes off and lands, but should be well within tolerance.

Your move, Atlas V 411. :cool:

giphy.gif

Got the sound system and everything, even...

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Also Elon lost his mind today and TSLA just completely crashed.

Looks like everything kinda crashed today...

3 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Sometimes I wonder what the hell is going on in his head.

He says he’s got a baby due Monday. Also, his factory is basically shuttered, there’s a big rocket test coming up any day now, AND, as said above, there’s a really big rocket launch coming up in a few weeks that will likely have millions of eyes on it, AND if anything goes wrong, human lives will be at risk for the first time. 

I can understand if the guy’s a little stressed out right now. 

7 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Isn't it normally the case that it's better to learn from other people's errors than your own?

This is completely normal. New safety tests and requirements get applied to everybody, not just whoever first tripped over the problem.

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Isn't it normally the case that it's better to learn from other people's errors than your own?

This is completely normal. New safety tests and requirements get applied to everybody, not just whoever first tripped over the problem.

Exactly. The short data drops might not have been thought about as really critical until they had a situation where such a loss of comms happened to overlap with a real problem. Now they are aware, and it makes sense to double-check.

11 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

They're reusing Crew Dragon now? I thought NASA didn't want them to.

I'm not sure we should trust this answer. So far SpaceX has been quite clear that they intend to reuse these capsules, but (at least initially) only for uncrewed cargo flights.

Edited by mikegarrison

It's probably going to be refurbished for CRS only. There's nothing in that answer suggesting its next mission will be with crew.

Edited by Wjolcz

34 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

They're reusing Crew Dragon now? I thought NASA didn't want them to.

They don’t necessarily have to fly it for NASA the second time around. ;) 

For just one example, there is that high-ish orbit tourist flight on the books in the next couple years....

18 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

It's probably going to be refurbished for CRS only. There's nothing in that answer suggesting its next mission will be with crew.

They've already said that CRS missions will all use a Dragon 2 Cargo variant (no LES, I think). They are not reusing Crew Dragon for CRS.

51 minutes ago, tater said:

They've already said that CRS missions will all use a Dragon 2 Cargo variant (no LES, I think). They are not reusing Crew Dragon for CRS.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaa...? I must've missed that. What if "just empty the fuel tanks" is the cargo variant?

Btw, pretty sure the tweet storm is just an outcome of a wild party. He has at least 2 reasons to party hard right now.

Edited by Wjolcz

Those auxiliary radial engines on Lunar Starship got me thinking. They've obviously thought about plume-regolith interaction, so I wonder if those engines will eventually make their way onto the regular Starship design. They'd certainly be beneficial for Mars landing, though they might need a thrust increase as they're probably designed for lunar gravity.

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Those auxiliary radial engines on Lunar Starship got me thinking. They've obviously thought about plume-regolith interaction, so I wonder if those engines will eventually make their way onto the regular Starship design. They'd certainly be beneficial for Mars landing, though they might need a thrust increase as they're probably designed for lunar gravity.

Or just land the first Mars Starship with a concrete-making robot that builds a pad for the next one. Ok, maybe not on the first one, but I'm pretty sure you get my point.

Edited by Wjolcz

5 minutes ago, Wjolcz said:

Or just land the first Mars Starship with a concrete-making robot that builds a pad for the next one. Ok, maybe not on the first one, but I'm pretty sure you get my point.

Looking at it from a development cost standpoint, it'd probably be easier to use the auxiliary engines that are presumably already in development than designing a bespoke concrete-making robot capable of being both shipped to and used remotely on Mars :wink: