SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

When Dragon decoupled the camera was "backwards" compared to the second stage burn. This confused me for a few seconds, it looked like we saw a Dragon that just decoupled its trunk together with the second stage. That would have been realy embarrasing...

10 minutes ago, Elthy said:

When Dragon decoupled the camera was "backwards" compared to the second stage burn. This confused me for a few seconds, it looked like we saw a Dragon that just decoupled its trunk together with the second stage. That would have been realy embarrasing...

There’s probably a note next to the relevant button saying “check yo staging...” -_-

2 hours ago, Delay said:

Spotthestation usually also gives times for PROGRESS and Dragon and the like. Problem is the the site's down currently.

I found it on satflare.com. I had to fight with it a bit but was eventually able to get it to show both the ISS and Endeavor.

32 minutes ago, Elthy said:

That would be so kerbal as they lost power and cooling 
I once did that in KSP and craft could not even deorbit

1 minute ago, mikegarrison said:

The ones that literally make you so sick you vomit?

Getting sick in space is quite normal, at least in the beginning (if it persists I'd be worried) because we haven't evolved in zero-g.

6 minutes ago, Delay said:

Getting sick in space is quite normal, at least in the beginning (if it persists I'd be worried) because we haven't evolved in zero-g.

I think the current numbers are about 1/3 of people have a hard time adapting to zero-G.  Everyone finds out for sure and how bad on their first mission, although some get an idea from the various tests done before (centrifuge, high-performance flying).  Likely one of the reasons 2 Shuttle veterans (both test pilots as well) were the crew on this mission.

Edited by Jacke

Wonder where they are on the Garn scale.

I drove Senator Garn to the airport after he gave a talk at a space conference (I had the most presentable car among the students helping with the conference). He was pretty funny. Said even with the sickness it was awesome.

4 hours ago, Mars-Bound Hokie said:

Probably; I was mostly paying attention to the gauges. Once the numbers stopped changing so quickly, my KSP experience told me that those guys were in a stable orbit. 

Someone on Imgur commented on my album and asked "Can you imagine 19 hours without toilet breaks?

My KSP instincts woulda kicked in at 2.3km/s.  "Whaddya mean, they're still accelerating?!" :P

Edited by zolotiyeruki

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

That would be so kerbal as they lost power and cooling 
I once did that in KSP and craft could not even deorbit

I’m sure it’s been made impossible to actually do that, but if they actually did, Dragon could still probably deorbit on its own, as the trunk is just for power and cooling. 

4 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

My KSP instincts woulda kicked in at 2.3km/s.  "Whaddya mean, they're still accelerating?!" :P

You need to play more upscaled systems, keeps you guessing. ;) I’m still not 100% sure what it is at 3.2x. 

12 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m sure it’s been made impossible to actually do that, but if they actually did, Dragon could still probably deorbit on its own, as the trunk is just for power and cooling. 

The capsule has enough internal battery power to do the whole mission without the trunk, for contingency.

30 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Canadians of a certain vintage will inevitably think of these guys every time "Bob and Doug" are mentioned:

Crew Dragon, it's a beauty way to go!

Geddy needs to sing them a wake up call at some point... (though in this case, it'd be Take off)

(still get goosebumps hearing a Shuttle countdown)

59 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Canadians of a certain vintage will inevitably think of these guys every time "Bob and Doug" are mentioned:

I've been mentioning them since Wednesday's attempt. And I got a kick out of how many times they said "Bob & Doug" today. I think they were aware of the connection and were saying it on purpose.

27 minutes ago, tater said:

Crew Dragon, it's a beauty way to go!

Geddy needs to sing them a wake up call at some point... (though in this case, it'd be Take off)

(still get goosebumps hearing a Shuttle countdown)

"Take off, on a Falcon 9!
Take off, it's a beauty way to go!
Take off, to the Eye-Ess-Ess!"

Countdown is my favorite Rush song. But I still don't know what the callout is at this point near the end... https://youtu.be/XW-8yCKwhBE?t=325. It sounds like words that are not allowed on the forum...

10 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

Nah, the "T minus fifteen seconds, guidance is internal" of Apollo still takes the cake

Hair stands on end for that, too. I just heard more live Shuttle launches on TV than Saturns. Besides, I was really little for Apollo.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

Hair stands on end for that, too. I just heard more live Shuttle launches on TV than Saturns. Besides, I was really little for Apollo.

This is my first time seeing any humans launch to space from US soil. I never watched any of the Shuttle launches...wasn't interested or aware of space growing up.