SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

42 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Using the Silverbird Astronautics LV performance calculator, I get 854 kg to a 100x100 km equatorial orbit with Falcon 1 in its first successful launch configuration, using the Merlin 1C.

Wait, 100x100 km? Nothing orbits that low. Even 200 km is low enough that anything you throw up there will deorbit in a month or so-Apollo used it as a parking orbit, and had to use S-IVb hydrogen off-gassing as a thruster to combat drag. Anything important is at least 400 km up, if not higher. Yes, the Karman Line is at 100 km, but that doesn't mean there's no drag at that altitude.

1 minute ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Wait, 100x100 km? Nothing orbits that low. Even 200 km is low enough that anything you throw up there will deorbit in a month or so-Apollo used it as a parking orbit, and had to use S-IVb hydrogen off-gassing as a thruster to combat drag. Anything important is at least 400 km up, if not higher. Yes, the Karman Line is at 100 km, but that doesn't mean there's no drag at that altitude.

Oh, I'm well aware. I just didn't know what reference orbit SpaceX was using for its "670-kg-to-LEO" projection for the Falcon 1. So instead of guessing, I used an overestimate and compared.

Given that Musk has said he has zero interest in the Moon, going there would be "unexpected," I suppose.

I wonder if the ITSy (without booster) could fly a suborbital hop? It's still a huge vehicle, it could carry many people on a space adventure comparable to NS.

24 minutes ago, tater said:

Given that Musk has said he has zero interest in the Moon, going there would be "unexpected," I suppose.

I wonder if the ITSy (without booster) could fly a suborbital hop? It's still a huge vehicle, it could carry many people on a space adventure comparable to NS.

Definitely.

14 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Oh, I'm well aware. I just didn't know what reference orbit SpaceX was using for its "670-kg-to-LEO" projection for the Falcon 1. So instead of guessing, I used an overestimate and compared.

As far as I know, all "payload to LEO" figures that SpaceX releases always assume a 200x200 km temporary parking orbit at the inclination of Cape Canaveral.

(They, like everyone else, also go purely by available dV, neglecting factors like whether or not the rocket can actually mount that much on its payload adapter.)

Edited by Streetwind

I'm probably going to stay well away from this thread until Friday evening. Because that's how long I'll have to wait until I get to watch the presentation myself =/ It'll happen while I'm asleep, and then I'll need to spend a day at the office without the ability to play audio or video. Curse you, timezones!

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:
This'll be at 1230 am where I am, will I be watching it live? You can bet Jeb's right buttocks I'll be watching it live!!!

I'm going to be so tired tomorrow 

Welcome to the club! Because I missed last year's (of all things, it had to be an eye doctor appointment) I'd basically do anything to see this one.

*goes to grab chex mix*

*realizes I don't have chex mix*

*considers grabbing popcorn*

*waits for 11:20 to make popcorn*

Here's to staying up late!

20 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Welcome to the club! Because I missed last year's (of all things, it had to be an eye doctor appointment) I'd basically do anything to see this one.

*goes to grab chex mix*

*realizes I don't have chex mix*

*considers grabbing popcorn*

*waits for 11:20 to make popcorn*

Here's to staying up late!

Yay!! Unfortunately I can't make late night snacks xD

Sorry, guys. :(

Dad's insisting that I get to bed at a decent hour tonight because I've been late to school this entire week and making stupid mistakes like forgetting to turn something in.

I've been waiting several months...

39 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'd basically do anything to see this one.

Oh, look, it's past me. Sorry, dude, I let you down.