SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

Just now, StrandedonEarth said:

I had to double-take on the TV logo in the corner there... I thought it said "WTFTV"

Same at first!

However to remain on the topic, I would add the weather can change pretty fast around here. 

DSC06986

About 40 miinutes later:

Image12

8 hours ago, magnemoe said:

8 hours ago, magnemoe said:

The 15 millions could be two things: $15m sounds a bit high for recovery and refurbish costs so it will include either the launch cost and or capital costs as the rocket only last so many launches. 
But yes 15 millions makes sense here 

Maybe the bulk of it is the cost of the new second stage?

Edited by zolotiyeruki

One thing I think is odd for SpaceX in FL is the decision making around which pad to use. I guess they must think there is not a substantial risk. Still, if I were scheduling, I think I would put as many on SLC-40 as possible, given the impact to crew any pad failure would have.

For new vehicles, a loss would result in a suspension of flights long enough pad repair is probably not an issue, but if a 5th reuse booster was to fail, it likely has no impact on crew at all (they can always use a new booster), whereas the pad damage would be a problem. If 39A got trashed, repair before the next crew flight seems unlikely.

6 hours ago, tater said:

One thing I think is odd for SpaceX in FL is the decision making around which pad to use. I guess they must think there is not a substantial risk. Still, if I were scheduling, I think I would put as many on SLC-40 as possible, given the impact to crew any pad failure would have.

For new vehicles, a loss would result in a suspension of flights long enough pad repair is probably not an issue, but if a 5th reuse booster was to fail, it likely has no impact on crew at all (they can always use a new booster), whereas the pad damage would be a problem. If 39A got trashed, repair before the next crew flight seems unlikely.

Looks like pad 40 is in use for Anasis who is an military payload and I assume an higher priority as its an paying customer. 
Note that SpaceX might rate an used booster as more reliable than an brand new one at least for clearing the pad as it showed it able to multiple times. 

Anasis is reusing the crew dragon booster. Tuesday is 45 days since last flight.

Edit: Apparently the current re-use record stands at 53 days set by shuttle, so this would topple that long-standing record.

Edited by RCgothic

40 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Looks like pad 40 is in use for Anasis who is an military payload and I assume an higher priority as its an paying customer. 
Note that SpaceX might rate an used booster as more reliable than an brand new one at least for clearing the pad as it showed it able to multiple times. 

I wonder if it has to go from the AF pad then?