SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

I'm a little bit late but here's the videos of the Starship hotswap:

Both SN5 and Starhopper are cheering SN6 on! You can do it buddy! :D

I don't know why but I really enjoy anthropomorphising (that word is hard to spell) Starship prototypes :P 

Edited by RealKerbal3x

20 minutes ago, tater said:

Presumably SN6 will get a mass simulator after cryo proofing, like SN5 did.

This is only tangentially related to SpaceX so I put it in a spoiler:

Spoiler

I'm designing a crane for Mun/Minmus base building in my KSP career, and I decided that there was only one company that could supply a dependable crane...

7x4BEO6.png

:P

15 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

I would have thought flying polar missions from Vandy improves the possible cadence from Florida, but maybe and extra 2-3 flights a year isn't worth it.

The big question is can they get all desired payloads (even with extended fairing) to the target orbit with a dogleg. If they can do it. not much need for VAFB.

1 hour ago, tater said:

That's really unrelated to what should be the complaint with getting the 40% of the 60/40 split—F9 actually exists, while ULA won 60% based on a rocket that has never flown.

It's still a valid point, though. Reusable rockets are the future, as shown by the European, Russian and Chinese space agencies attempting to catch up to Falcon 9/Heavy even as SpaceX develops their next-generation launch vehicle. Of course, Vulcan has SMART reuse, but the fact that it'll only recover the first stage engines makes it a less cost-effective form of reusability (AFAIK)

But yeah, Falcon being more than just a paper rocket is the big thing here. ULA is undoubtedly an extremely reliable contractor, but awarding their completely unproven rocket the majority of a defence contract over a proven existing rocket seems like a step too far in their direction.

18 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

But yeah, Falcon being more than just a paper rocket is the big thing here. ULA is undoubtedly an extremely reliable contractor, but awarding their completely unproven rocket the majority of a defence contract over a proven existing rocket seems like a step too far in their direction.

I know ULA is flying all the components aside from the actual airframe/tanks and Be-4 ahead of actual launches, but that doesn't cut it. I'm fine with the AF wanting to pick an upcoming LV that has little chance of failure, but to give that LV the majority of launches seems like a bizarre double standard.

41 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, a political decision being bizarre from a logical point of view should not be unexpected....

I'd use the terms "technical" and "economic". Political decisions are often quite logical, just not in ways known to non-politicians, or by the criteria they care about.

20 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

They're probably doing this because these are national security launches. Who has more experience working with the military, Lockheed and Boeing, or SpaceX? 

Contractor experience is useful, but the AF has zero experience with a nonexistent rocket.

The point is not "should ULA get any of the launches," the point is "why give 60% to an unflown design vs a flown design?"

Just now, tater said:

Contractor experience is useful, but the AF has zero experience with a nonexistent rocket.

Yep. But the company has experience with handling large government contracts. You have to demonstrate that you aren't wasting taxpayer money. (I hear your objection...) Also, ULA has more experience with classified...stuff. Easier to stick with a known contracter than to invest in training another one. Rocket performance is a comparatively small factor by contrast.

5 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

Yep. But the company has experience with handling large government contracts. You have to demonstrate that you aren't wasting taxpayer money. (I hear your objection...) Also, ULA has more experience with classified...stuff. Easier to stick with a known contracter than to invest in training another one. Rocket performance is a comparatively small factor by contrast.

I agree, hence there was a 0% chance ULA would get neither of the 2 spots (OmegA, and NG in that boat). The question is why give 40% to a known vehicle vs 60% to an unknown vehicle. It would not be surprising for any new LV to have teething problems. Any early failure on the part of Vulcan would delay AF payloads by many months. Seems like the safer play would be 60% to the existing LV.

Edited by tater