Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

So this is interesting. Firing the abort motors right before MECO should presumably increase apogee a reasonable amount. At that point in a flight, LES is not actually needed except to get away from an exploding booster. I wonder if they might have a goal of testing how high/long they can make a flight by intentionally using the LES as a second stage motor...

2 hours ago, tater said:

So this is interesting. Firing the abort motors right before MECO should presumably increase apogee a reasonable amount. At that point in a flight, LES is not actually needed except to get away from an exploding booster. I wonder if they might have a goal of testing how high/long they can make a flight by intentionally using the LES as a second stage motor...

This was a pleasantly random thing to wake up to. :D I think you’re on to something, here, this booster is still “brand new” and I can’t see them doing anything with it with a high likelihood of failure since they have a test program to continue. They must have gotten some encouraging data from the previous abort test. 

6 hours ago, tater said:

I thought the LES motor doubled as the soft landing motor, but I suppose that doesn't make sense since the LES would have have to have a higher TWR.

1 minute ago, Mad Rocket Scientist said:

I thought the LES motor doubled as the soft landing motor, but I suppose that doesn't make sense since the LES would have have to have a higher TWR.

They have a separate motor for landing.

Also:

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

I can't wait for the day when I have two live launch webcasts open on my computer at the same time.

That happened late last year. There was a Falcon 9 launch with first stage landing within minutes of the launch of a Japanese H-II.

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

I can't wait for the day when I have two live launch webcasts open on my computer at the same time.

I hope some day the launches and landings will be so common we won't even care.

Will they be able to apply all that knowledge to NG? If they decide to ever manufacture their own orbital capsules they will have some of the testing/tech/procedures already done.

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

13 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

That happened late last year. There was a Falcon 9 launch with first stage landing within minutes of the launch of a Japanese H-II.

Actually, the Falcon 9 launched 61 seconds before the H-IIA, I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I woke up at 7:30 sharp and was disappointed because I was trying to wake up at 8:30 to see the webcast over breakfast. Now since its been delayed it doesn't really matter.

Edited by cubinator