Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

42 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Read an article estimating Delta-V with the capsule to be 3300m/s. So, with the abort motor as a second stage, yes.

Then someone gets out and pushes for reentry.

5 hours ago, tater said:

The video they showed before last launch was released today:

Very sleek smooth and modern for an amusement park ride class spacecraft :D!

Edited by NSEP

The seats are suitably comfy, as befits their requirement to protect their occupants against possible 16 G accelerations. Also, cabin interior is ~6 feet tall, so taller folks may need to duck.

Yes, I have sat in them. I'm at school right now, so I don't have the pics to prove it, but I DID get to see the mockup up close and personal.

21 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

The seats are suitably comfy, as befits their requirement to protect their occupants against possible 16 G accelerations. Also, cabin interior is ~6 feet tall, so taller folks may need to duck.

Yes, I have sat in them. I'm at school right now, so I don't have the pics to prove it, but I DID get to see the mockup up close and personal. 

Oh, this is so cool

3 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Okay, as promised...

j4vliSG.jpg

For scaling purposes, I'm 6'2"/188 cm tall, so yeah, those windows are HUGE.

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

shocked.gif Is that a mock-up or flight hardware?

Mock-up... though I have had the honor of seeing flight hardware as well. I know I posted pics of that on this thread before... Lemme see if I can dig that up rq.

EDIT: Looks like it was in the old thread that's now MIA... So another gratuitous shot, this time of the first propulsion module:

uUFaKkT.jpg

Again, dorky grin wearing me is 6'2"/188 cm for scale.

Edited by MaverickSawyer

15 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Read an article estimating Delta-V with the capsule to be 3300m/s. So, with the abort motor as a second stage, yes.

Can you send me a link? If they've got information on the BE-3 I'd like to cross check it against my spreadsheet predicting the performance of New Glenn.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:01 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

That's a good explanation and would probably impress anyone who hasn't had the tyranny of the rocket equation hammered into them.  By saying you merely need to triple your delta-v simply ignores that bit of the rocket equation that says "ln()".  On the other hand, using it as an upper stage makes all kinds of sense and is one of the oldest tricks in rocketry (going back to the V2-bumper).

Edited by wumpus
left a word in after grammatical change. Now removed.

NS looks a lot like a tall, skinny lunar lander in so many ways.

The dv is a little shy of being able to land and take off again, but the capsule is needlessly heavy for a lunar lander, so lightening that likely buys enough dv for a round trip---or you leave the capsule (read: cargo) on the surface, then the remaining dv can easily get you back to space due to the far lower mass.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:39 PM, tater said:

NS looks a lot like a tall, skinny lunar lander in so many ways.

The dv is a little shy of being able to land and take off again, but the capsule is needlessly heavy for a lunar lander, so lightening that likely buys enough dv for a round trip---or you leave the capsule (read: cargo) on the surface, then the remaining dv can easily get you back to space due to the far lower mass.

But was that dV calculated with an atmospheric nozzle? If so would a vacuum nozzle bring enough extra to allow a LOR profile mission? I am intrigued as the idea of using NS as a LEM has occurred to me too.

5 minutes ago, monophonic said:

But was that dV calculated with an atmospheric nozzle? If so would a vacuum nozzle bring enough extra to allow a LOR profile mission? I am intrigued as the idea of using NS as a LEM has occurred to me too.

Not me and an excellent idea, capsule would obviously need redesign, docking and better life support, but no need for abort engine or reentry, neither aerodynamic on first stage.
Hydrolox make isru on Moon easier, easy to swap capsule with an pallet. 

28 minutes ago, monophonic said:

They are already working on the B3-3U, which is the vacuum optimized version, as this will be the upper stage engine for NG.