Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

1 hour ago, Spaceception said:

In the description, they say it'll debut in 2021. I just wish we know what they have developed by now :D But they must have some idea of when it'll fly at this point, that's just a couple years away. Who knows though, it could turn into another Falcon Heavy, but I hope they will be capable of sending stuff to the Moon in the first half of the 2020s.

Well, they're certainly more secretive than building their rocket in an open field for anybody to see...BO seems to like to not announce stuff until it's practically ready to go.

45 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Well, they're certainly more secretive than building their rocket in an open field for anybody to see...BO seems to like to not announce stuff until it's practically ready to go.

Yeah, that's why I think the date may be close. But then again, we've barely seen anything aside from an engine test. So...

2 hours ago, Spaceception said:

In the description, they say it'll debut in 2021. I just wish we know what they have developed by now :D But they must have some idea of when it'll fly at this point, that's just a couple years away. Who knows though, it could turn into another Falcon Heavy, but I hope they will be capable of sending stuff to the Moon in the first half of the 2020s.

The factors driving the Falcon Heavy's late debut aren't there for New Glenn. Falcon Heavy was an adaptation of the extant Falcon 9, which was in a state of continual upgrades for five years. It wasn't a wise idea to solidify the Falcon Heavy design until the Falcon 9 settled down... many years after Elon Musk decided "what if I tried more boosters?"

43 minutes ago, Starman4308 said:

The factors driving the Falcon Heavy's late debut aren't there for New Glenn. Falcon Heavy was an adaptation of the extant Falcon 9, which was in a state of continual upgrades for five years. It wasn't a wise idea to solidify the Falcon Heavy design until the Falcon 9 settled down... many years after Elon Musk decided "what if I tried more boosters?"

There were also delays due to the two vehicles that underwent RUD events. Those stalled things for awhile as SpaceX engineers tried to figure out what happened and how to fix the problems.

Now, comes the lottery that is me being able to watch...

It is at 9:00 AM CST, which would usually be terrible if I have school, and it's a Monday... However, we're about to be massacred by the biggest winter storm of the year tonight... The question is, will it be enough to cancel or delay school Monday?

Probably not, it's only 4-8 inches... But one can hope!

Where I live, it's about time to finally take snow shovels from the shed :P And start complaining about the amount of snow to shovel out of driveway :D Seriously, though - this winter was pretty mild so far. And spring gets closer with every passing day! Joy!

40 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Finally... I don't want to jinx it, but school was pushed back 2 hours due to weather, so I should be able to watch this one! Unless I accidentally sleep in...

Eat coffee beans. Stay up all night. Achieve higher plane of consciousness. Watch launch from above. 

...or at least believe you are...

With only a single engine, is there any active roll control, or is it just down to the actuated lower fins?

The capsule speed readout reached 0 mph at T+4:05. That's got to be a display element; if they don't have SOME downrange velocity, then they would risk falling back onto the pad. Unless they did a dogleg with corrections...in which case the capsule risks falling back onto the landing pad, which also is a problem.

350,342 feet is 66 miles is 106.8 km.

Maximum speed during ascent was 2,226 mph; maximum speed during booster descent was 2,603 mph.

Landing engine ignites at 376 mph, probably just a few moments from when the booster would reach lower-atmosphere terminal velocity. Terminal velocity for the capsule reaches a relatively steady 210 mph well before chute deployment.