Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

I wonder if the Telesat satellites actually needs a 7 meter fairing. The largest geosynchronous communication satellite uses the SSL1300 satellite bus, wich only needs a 5 meter fairing.

2 hours ago, NSEP said:

I wonder if the Telesat satellites actually needs a 7 meter fairing. The largest geosynchronous communication satellite uses the SSL1300 satellite bus, wich only needs a 5 meter fairing.

Wasn’t there someone who was specifically working with BO and their larger fairing to design a larger antenna to take advantage of it?

MOAR antenna and all...

• 2 weeks later...

On Blue Origin and Jeff Bezos:

No Superheroes: Why it shouldn’t be so easy to applaud Jeff Bezos

Blue Origin, the space launch company founded by Jeff Bezos, has an odd funding structure. It earns no income…not for now, at least. Every year, Bezos liquidates one billion dollars of Amazon stock and transfers it to Blue.

It’s clearly an unsustainable approach to capital investment.

After all, it will only last for the next 131 years.

---

As entertaining as it may be to watch one immensely powerful man turn the tables on another, the fact remains that this was purely a business decision. Bezos saw the opportunity to win, and he took it. 

Edited by sevenperforce

To win this new Space Race, BO would have to put New Glenn on the launchpad and grab the market before SpaceX strikes with Starship. As of now SpaceX is couple of steps ahead. They have two capable flying articles, low prices, good share of the market and a next generation rocket already in the works. Not to mention ready infrastructure and a lot of experience in launching and recovering of rockets. It took circa 13 years to get to this point - will Bezos's strategy of throwing money at the problem be enough to level the field?

37 minutes ago, Scotius said:

To win this new Space Race, BO would have to put New Glenn on the launchpad and grab the market before SpaceX strikes with Starship. As of now SpaceX is couple of steps ahead. They have two capable flying articles, low prices, good share of the market and a next generation rocket already in the works. Not to mention ready infrastructure and a lot of experience in launching and recovering of rockets. It took circa 13 years to get to this point - will Bezos's strategy of throwing money at the problem be enough to level the field?

He can throw money for 131 years.

7 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

As entertaining as it may be to watch one immensely powerful man turn the tables on another, the fact remains that this was purely a business decision. Bezos saw the opportunity to win, and he took it. 

This bit is being taken out of context. Except for the 3-line header, no part of this is about Blue Origin; it's about issues between Bezos and a man named Pecker, who runs the National Enquirer.

Still, Blue Origin is out ahead of literally everyone except SpaceX, has what appears to be a more safety-conscious culture, and Jeff Bezos has deep enough pockets to ride out many years of not being the top competitor.

After all, even in this era of Falcon 9 being incredibly popular as a launch vehicle, nobody's yet folded. ULA, Arianespace, Roskosmos, ISRO, JAXA, China: they're all still flying, often with commercial payloads. Northrop Grumman's even throwing its hat into the ring with OmegaA.

24 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

My thoughts exactly.

When I saw the news of the divorce I thought "Oh no, now he might not have enough money for BO" and then I laughed.

Same. Maybe he can only spend for 65 years now.

28 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Consider what he did at Amazon -- ran at a loss for at least 10 years. Maybe 15. Then boomed the profits.

Yeah, this is why I always discount the partisans of that other private space company that talk smack about BO (I'm a fan of both). If Jeff Bezos comes right out and tells people he's coming to eat their lunch, he's coming to eat their lunch.

It'll be really interesting to see what they do for NS ride prices, will they slightly undercut Virgin, or will they add a reasonable profit to the actual operational costs, and severely undercut them (which would pretty much kill that as a suborbital joyride platform).

11 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Still...

Just outlive Elon.

Depending on Neuralink's success, that may become difficult for a biological entity.../s

I think we are fairly close to seeing NS ticket prices. They will certainly cause a stir...

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff Bezos spoke at an event last night comparing New Shepard to Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo.

NEW YORK — As Blue Origin prepares to start flying people on its New Shepard suborbital vehicle, the company’s founder says the altitude the vehicle can reach will put it at an advantage over Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo.

In an on-stage interview with SpaceNews during a Wings Club luncheon here Feb. 20, Jeff Bezos reiterated statements made by other Blue Origin executives that the company expects to start flying people on New Shepard later this year.

“This is the first time that I’ve ever been saying ‘this year,’” he said of those plans. “For a few years I’ve been saying ‘next year.’”

New Shepard has been going through a flight test program without people on board, including its most recent flight, NS-10, Jan. 23. That test program is “going really well,” he said, citing such milestones as testing of the escape system for the vehicle’s crew capsule. “We’ve tested all the envelope for escape. It’s one of the most complicated things that we’ve done.”

As Blue Origin prepares to start flying people on New Shepard, Virgin Galactic is also edging closer to commercial flights of its SpaceShipTwo vehicle. The latest test of the suborbital spaceplane, scheduled for Feb. 20 from Mojave Air and Space Port, was postponed because of winds. The company said it will try again Feb. 22.

Bezos, in the interview, pointed out the altitude difference between the two vehicles. New Shepard has typically exceeded 100 kilometers, an altitude known as the Karman Line, on its test flights. SpaceShipTwo reached a peak altitude of 82.7 kilometers on its most recent test flight Dec. 13, its first above the 50-mile boundary used by U.S. government agencies to award astronaut wings.

“One of the issues that Virgin Galactic will have to address, eventually, is that they are not flying above the Karman Line, not yet,” Bezos said. “I think one of the things they will have to figure out how to get above the Karman Line.”

“We’ve always had as our mission that we wanted to fly above the Karman Line, because we didn’t want there to be any asterisks next to your name about whether you’re an astronaut or not,” he continued. “That’s something they’re going to have to address, in my opinion.”

For those who fly on New Shepard, he said, there’ll be “no asterisks.”

Bezos emphasized in his remarks that while “we’re in very good shape” in the New Shepard development program, he’s not driven by schedule. “I do keep reminding the team — I’m relentless on this — that it’s not a race,” he said. “I want to fly this year with humans, but we will fly when we’re ready.”

In an interview that also touched on the company’s New Glenn orbital launch vehicle and the BE-4 engine that will power it, Bezos explained how New Shepard will fit into that overall development plan.

“The strategic objective of New Shepard is to practice,” he said. “A lot of the subcomponents of New Shepard actually get directly reused on the second stage of New Glenn.” That includes, he noted, a variant of New Shepard’s BE-3 engine that will be used on the second stage of New Glenn.

“All of those systems will get a tremendous amount of practice with that suborbital mission and will be carried over directly to the upper stage” of New Glenn, he said. “The lessons learned on things like landings and operability and reusability, all those things from the New Shepard program, those also get incorporated into the New Glenn booster.”

He also tied New Shepard to the early barnstorming era of aviation, where such flights built up expertise to allow the aviation industry to grow in the early 20th century. “That’s going to be our barnstorming,” he said of New Shepard.

https://spacenews.com/bezos-emphasizes-altitude-advantage-of-new-shepard-over-spaceshiptwo/

Edited by James Kerman
Format