Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

2 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I know people who work there. What are your skills? They do hire people.

I’m a bus driver. :P

I thinking it would be awesome to even watch a test like that, but the probably don’t let plebs in for those. Y’know, like because of what happened on the last test. 

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I’m a bus driver. :P

I thinking it would be awesome to even watch a test like that, but the probably don’t let plebs in for those. Y’know, like because of what happened on the last test. 

Well, maybe they need bus drivers?

The people I know are folks that used to work with me and left when they got hired at BO. I've actually considered it myself, but I'm only a few years from being eligible for retirement where I am now.

14 minutes ago, tater said:

This is big news, and important for Blue. Aerojet has to be wondering what they might be doing for a living in a few years, honestly.

Working for Blue Origin. Or maybe SpaceX. Sure, they’d all have to start out back on the bottom rung, but after years of hard work and determination (and horrible working conditions), they could move up to next to the bottom rung. 

2 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Working for Blue Origin. Or maybe SpaceX. Sure, they’d all have to start out back on the bottom rung, but after years of hard work and determination (and horrible working conditions), they could move up to next to the bottom rung. 

Aerojet has changed hands before. Sure, the company they operate under may be different, but their experience is valuable.

15 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Do they still build prototype rockets? Nobody builds prototype airplanes anymore.

Expendable vehicles make wildly more sense to prototype.  I suspect the difference between first article and prototype is largely marketing (the real issue is committing to tooling).  If they expect to land the first article a number of times, that changes things dramatically (although I'm pretty sure that only Columbia (first article, enterprise was effectively a prototype) had those problematic tiles).

16 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Do they still build prototype rockets? Nobody builds prototype airplanes anymore.

*cough*SLS*coughcough*

But seriously, yes prototypes are still quite common. I see the prototype 787 around Boeing all the time. The first Electron was a prototype, the first (arguably several) Falcon 1 was a prototype, the first (and still only) New Shepherd. I would think that if it’s the first of its design and is never meant to carry payload or other commercial activity, it’s a prototype.  

It depends on what you consider to be a prototype. In my world, a prototype could be anything from something that's completely unique with most or all parts being custom/hand fabricated to a fleet (5-100) of vehicles that are more or less identical and have parts that are production representative made from semi-permanent tools.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

*cough*SLS*coughcough*

But seriously, yes prototypes are still quite common. I see the prototype 787 around Boeing all the time. The first Electron was a prototype, the first (arguably several) Falcon 1 was a prototype, the first (and still only) New Shepherd. I would think that if it’s the first of its design and is never meant to carry payload or other commercial activity, it’s a prototype.  

The New Shepard that was re-used was actually the second. The first booster crash-landed and was destroyed.

I can't be bothered with New Shepherd, it's just an expensive carnival ride.

This, though...

flight-profile.jpg

This is pretty cool.

I feel like I've seen it before, though.

Also, does that barge actually have a bridge for people?

47 minutes ago, regex said:

Also, does that barge actually have a bridge for people?

It is not a barge, but a ship. And unlike SpaceX's barges, it will be moving during the landings of New Glenn to provide a more stable landing spot.

Added bonus is of course that it will be much faster to bring New Glenn back to port, if it lands on a ship instead of a barge.

26 minutes ago, tater said:

Returning the booster to port quickly is substantially less important when you have a few dozen of them lying around.

Apply ointment directly to burn.

36 minutes ago, Tullius said:

It is not a barge, but a ship. And unlike SpaceX's barges, it will be moving during the landings of New Glenn to provide a more stable landing spot.

Hopefully it can move fast enough to avoid a failed landing, especially if its crewed, amirite?