Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

D IV Heavy is launching what, exactly? Spy sats to LEO, or sigint spy sats to GEO (Advanced Orion/Mentor). No data on the mass of the latter, but the antenna is supposed to be huge, so it might be volume limited.

20 hours ago, regex said:

From that press release:

"New Glenn is a two- or three-stage-to-orbit heavy lift launch vehicle capable of delivering 44,906 kg (99,000 lbs) to LEO (Low Earth Orbit) and 13,154 kg (29,000 lbs) to GTO (Geostationary Transfer Orbit)."

So, wait... It puts more into LEO but less at GTO than Delta-IV Heavy? How's that work out?

The NG figures posted (45 t and 13t) are for the initial, 2 stage design, are they not?

3 minutes ago, tater said:

The NG figures posted (45 t and 13t) are for the initial, 2 stage design, are they not?

Yeah, nothing has been stated for the three stage design with the hydrolox upper stage.

1 minute ago, regex said:

Yeah, nothing has been stated for the three stage design with the hydrolox upper stage.

Still, that's 45t to LEO, including an US... so it's a matter of what the best payload mass fraction from a nominal, inclined LEO is to GEO with a 3d stage I guess.

Assuming a 425 Isp for the Be-3U engine, and 45t in LEO, looks like on the order of 17.5t to GEO, circularized (not counting any boiloff).

1 hour ago, tater said:

Still, that's 45t to LEO, including an US... so it's a matter of what the best payload mass fraction from a nominal, inclined LEO is to GEO with a 3d stage I guess.

Assuming a 425 Isp for the Be-3U engine, and 45t in LEO, looks like on the order of 17.5t to GEO, circularized (not counting any boiloff).

A 5m DCSS is on the order of 31 tons and it uses fuel to get to LEO before GTO, so that makes sense.

If this had happened this time next week I might have driven down there and learned how to livestream a launch from my phone, lol. This week is too insane around here, though. 

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Ahh, it always kills me when space companies are so secretive like this. We know it (probably) launched due to the FAA, but can we at least get official acknowledgement?

When the NRO is more forthcoming with what they’re up to, it is certainly frustrating.

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

Anyone know the throttle specs on that engine? Pretty impressive it can throttle down low enough to hover with nearly empty tanks...

Wikipedia says it can throttle from 490kn to 89kn, so it can throttle down to about 18%. That means the fuel and capsule must take up less than 82% of the mass, which is usually bad for rockets, but when you're going suborbital mass ratio doesn't have as big of an effect on Delta-V.

We don't have info on ticket prices yet, though. The only info we have is a probably outdated tweet saying 10k refurb cost at the bare minimum. I've seen people estimate anywhere between 100k and 5k per seat...

I'm really crossing my fingers here that it will be on the lower end of that range, although the odds are extremely slim. If the ticket price is in the vicinity of 10-15k (probably unlikely) I am actually going to try to save up for a ticket.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I've seen people estimate anywhere between 100k and 5k per seat...

I got like... tree fiddy... er, no, wait... that's just lint...

4 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I'm really crossing my fingers here that it will be on the lower end of that range, although the odds are extremely slim. If the ticket price is in the vicinity of 10-15k (probably unlikely) I am actually going to try to save up for a ticket.

You're young, might as well get used to the world of crippling debt early. :D

3 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You're young, might as well get used to the world of crippling debt early. :D

Yeah, I know, my goals are unrealistic. :rolleyes:

However, in my eyes, if I say it will never happen, then it will never happen. If I dream about it happening, and do my best to pursue it, then I have a nonzero chance of it happening. Nonzero may not be that bigger than zero numerically, but in terms of percentage, 0.0001 is still an infinite (well, undefined, but it approaches infinity) percentage larger than 0.

Also, I'm going to Europe this summer and the trip is estimated to cost around $7000. Granted, I got lucky and didn't actually have to pay this, but I know a few people my age who paid most of that through work, etc. If the ticket price ends up in that area, it's "only" a few times more than that Europe trip. I'm not getting too excited yet, but just maybe...

Also, is it just me, or did they update their webpage on New Shepherd?