Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

3 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

According to the article, the former STENA ship will be used to "transport rocket components". Considering it is a freighter, that would be understandable. I saw nothing there about being used as a landing platform. Where did that come from?

The NG production facility is at the Cape. There is no need to transport rocket components on a ship. Assuming ULA selects Be-4, the engine production is in Alabama, but those easily fit on trucks.

The rocket transportation is likely because landing platform isn't already something in existing licensing I would bet. It WILL transport rocket components back to FL. From the Atlantic.

Also it looks sorta like what they were imagining (forward bridge, anyway):

blue-origin-drone-ship.jpg?itok=6pSrc6Yj

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

It shall be interesting to see how things play out with BO supplying such a critical component to their biggest competitor. 

Pretty routine in the defense contracting world to collaborate with competitors. I mean, that's what ULA *is*. Boeing and Lockheed Martin collaborating on a business project.

Some cool work on trying to estimate the BE-4 performance :

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=45518.0

They are clustering around 312s - 345s for the isp based on the geometry, cycle, pressure and thrust. 

This estimate puts it just over RD-180 series performance at 311-337s.

The TWR is a mystery. It is a massive powerhead.

I figure it may be somewhere near 80:1 like the RD-180.

Maybe more since the chamber pressure is so low 13.4MPa vrs 26.7MPa on the russian engine.

Less metal needed around the chamber.

If so, the 240t thrust engine would have a mass of about 3t.

56 minutes ago, insert_name said:

Doesn't arriane space get more payloads considering arriane 5 carries two payloads most of the time?

In 2017, there were 18 SpaceX launches.

Arianespace launched 6, all Ariane 5.

SpaceX launched 55 sats.

Ariane 5 launched 17 sats.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, mikegarrison said:

According to the shipping article, the former STENA ship will be used to "transport rocket components". Considering it is a freighter, that would be understandable. I saw nothing there about being used as a landing platform. But the other article said it would be the landing platform. Where did that info come from?

[Additional info: on Burghardt's twitter he later said, "we don't have an official confirmation that Stena Freighter will be the recovery ship."]