Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

One would think that fog is not actually a problem for a rocket launch. Does it affect the landing? I assume the landing does not rely on optics at all, but maybe the fog is a risk item for their radar altimeters?

Of course, possibly the issue is simply that they want to optically record the flight because it is still a test flight.

Or maybe is it an icing issue?

Edited by mikegarrison

It's likely for them to record it.

Pretty much everything the launches out of Vandenberg goes up in fog, and I seem to recall watching a Falcon 9 land just fine in the fog out there, too.

If this was something going to orbit with a launch window it probably wouldn't be a concern.

7 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

One would think that fog is not actually a problem for a rocket launch. Does it affect the landing? I assume the landing does not rely on optics at all, but maybe the fog is a risk item for their radar altimeters?

Of course, possibly the issue is simply that they want to optically record the flight because it is still a test flight.

Or maybe is it an icing issue?

I assuming it's just for visualizing it.

There's overcast here (I'm maybe 4.5 hours north driving), not sure what the deal is.

They just reset to 45 minutes from now.

Reset again to 12 minutes.

And new page, so:

Have we received any indication as to how many postcards are flying today? They have said thousands but I don't think I've heard a specific number. I can't tube into the webcast right now as I'm conserving data for launch.

I remember them saying that they would take the first ten thousand appropriate ones they get. I submitted mine a month before the deadline but without numbers it's impossible to know whether mine made it on board or not.

Good job on the launch and landing.  Not a fan of their metrics (hah!) though - neither layout nor units.  Pretty impressive tracking cameras, shame no on-board (live) ones.

Hopefully they'll move on from this suborbital malarky and we'll start to see New Glenn soon.

1 hour ago, mikegarrison said:

What exactly were they testing today, anyway? I'm not encouraging them to launch any people until they feel ready to do it, but they have had a lot of flights now. When do you suppose they will think they can send an actual person up?

I believe the most recent statement is 3 or 2 flights from now. It should happen next year.

Granted, we have been saying next year since 2016.

And I remember starting this year out thinking that this would be the year that SpaceX Boeing virgin and blue all fly people to space, but surprisingly it was just virgin (if you count air Force space as space).

But considering that they have ns4 built and they only have a few flights left, I would be surprised if it didn't happen before Dec 2021. It should happen 2020 but this is the aerospace industry so you never know.

4 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

What exactly were they testing today, anyway? I'm not encouraging them to launch any people until they feel ready to do it, but they have had a lot of flights now. When do you suppose they will think they can send an actual person up?

Do they have any customers? I guess they could send interns if they haven't got any paying customers yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...