Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

They're not sports teams, guys. We don't need to get into spats which each other over which one is best. 

No, they are not. But should they? Watching competition in space would feed people's competitive instincts just like watching sport do. If space companies had millions of fans like large sport teams maybe they could get significant boost to their funding by offering fan stuff, happenings, or even organized competitions to achieve some technical or scientific objectives. According to this source market size of sport business is almost 500 billion $. It is at least an order of magnitude larger than all space business and national organizations.

9 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

I thougth the booster was going to tip... incredibly it didn't... impressive

temp1.png

It looks like there was a guidance problem right after restart. Maybe a stuck/stalled fin? Or a gimbal during restart that kicked the booster over. Either way the engine gimbaled very hard to correct and then very nearly tipped over while trying to zero out lateral velocity.

After it zeroed lateral velocity it hung there for a pretty long moment in hover before finally dropping to the pad, well off of the center.

This does show the advantage of the deep throttle. If a F9 booster came down with that much lateral velocity, it would have no way to make it work. Then again its grid fins cannot stall. Superheavy and Starship will both have the significant advantage of gas-gas thrusters to help, and they can also hover.

Edited by sevenperforce

47 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Why don't they have any onboard cameras?

I'm sure they do, but it's a lot of data to transmit back to get real-time video, and sometimes it's easier/better to forgo that in favor of more immediately useful telemetry during the flight. Then they can retrieve the recorded video after landing.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

This does show the advantage of the deep throttle. If a F9 booster came down with that much lateral velocity, it would have no way to make it work. Then again its grid fins cannot stall.

I seem to remember a F9 booster that crashed just for this very reason (stuck grid fin).

Also, while she was busy talking about how the rocket was spinning, it sure didn't look like it was spinning. Maybe it was. If so it definitely wasn't spinning quickly.

Edited by mikegarrison

Just now, mikegarrison said:

Yeah, this makes sense. If you keep changing things, then you never build up any flight experience with the exact design you are flying. Looks like they are trying to overcome that issue before sending up actual people.

They haven't really iterated the boster as far as I know, but certainly the capsule was not entirely crew ready I think.

One of their stated objectives with NS is learning operations, I've just been surprised how slowly they've worked that issue. Seems like they should be flying as often as possible assuming they have employees at van Horn all the time anyway.

I agree, they sure don't fly that thing very often for a craft whose goal it is to fly as often as possible. Hope they can get that frequency up. And I hope the passengers don't have to spend hours waiting inside the capsule on the launch pad.

Underwhelming.

I mean, it would be cool to do if a few hundred grand was pocket change, but their launches are not super interesting, and you think they'd hire some random youtuber to do their streaming‚BO only has 172k subs, lol. Seriously, they could hire any number of randos with more subs who could give them advice on better video presentations.