Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

38 minutes ago, tater said:
Underwhelming.

I mean, it would be cool to do if a few hundred grand was pocket change, but their launches are not super interesting, and you think they'd hire some random youtuber to do their streaming‚BO only has 172k subs, lol. Seriously, they could hire any number of randos with more subs who could give them advice on better video presentations.

Middle-of-the-back-end-of-nowhere Texas is also not exactly the spot I have always wanted to see from the air. Just sayin'.

That being said, if they offered me a free flight I would take it without hesitation.

Edited by mikegarrison

14 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

excrementsttt something went WRONG on that final approach.

Yes, but control system handled it very well. Based on my experience (not related to rockets) it is much easier to do control which makes accurate position straight than control which can handle significant last minute errors without overshooting in any direction.

6 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Middle-of-the-back-end-of-nowhere Texas is also not exactly the spot I have always wanted to see from the air. Just sayin'.

Given it's a few miles south of the NM state line, I think it looks like the Earth.

Course I like "the bones of the Earth."

That being said, if they offered me a free flight I would take it without hesitation.

Yeah, I'd do the NS flight as well (if it didn't involve spending ridiculous amounts of money). I'd even pay up to some non-ridiculous amount*. I was hiking with a friend  yesterday and we talked about NS vs the Virgin version of suborbital tourism. I told him if I won a free flight on Virgin I'd sell it, but I'd go on the BO flight if I had a free opportunity.

*I'm sure my definition of not ridiculous is an order of magnitude or more lower than anyone in their business office thinks ;)

Edited by tater

7 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

If they had the slightest inkling of rapid reusability and cheap production they'd be putting launch facilities in the Caribbean, NE and NW US.

59 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, I'd do the NS flight as well (if it didn't involve spending ridiculous amounts of money). I'd even pay up to some non-ridiculous amount*. I was hiking with a friend  yesterday and we talked about NS vs the Virgin version of suborbital tourism. I told him if I won a free flight on Virgin I'd sell it, but I'd go on the BO flight if I had a free opportunity.

I'm a lot more distrustful of spaceplanes than of 'stick' rockets, there's something elegant about the mechanical stability of a teardrop capsule reentering the atmosphere that makes me confident I'll get to the ground safely. A plane has to be piloted and maneuvered all the way down, while a capsule does all the work for you so long as you pop the chutes before you hit the ground.

Besides, Virgin doesn't even get to 100 km.

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I'm a lot more distrustful of spaceplanes than of 'stick' rockets, there's something elegant about the mechanical stability of a teardrop capsule reentering the atmosphere that makes me confident I'll get to the ground safely. A plane has to be piloted and maneuvered all the way down, while a capsule does all the work for you so long as you pop the chutes before you hit the ground.

Yeah, NS seems more forgiving. The fatal accident of Spaceship 1 might be impacting my POV a little, but I see NS as reliant on technology, and I see Virgin's  Spaceship as reliant on both technology, AND pilot ability. Since most all aircraft crashes are pilot error... that seems like a weak link for what is an experimental aircraft.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, RCgothic said:

Wow, a whole tonne. As a separate mission to crew. How ambitious.

Minus a transfer element, that might be using most of the lander props for getting there.

The current talk is NG getting ~13t to GTO, so a little below that to TLI.

Wonder what the dry mass of that lander is.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

Wait, they're planning to launch their lander (if selected) on NG ?

I would assume so.

The "National Team" lander is 3 parts, presumably all would be sent ahead on commercial LVs. Depending on the mass/diameter, Vulcan, NG, DIVH, or FH, I assume.

12 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

No kidding, huh? So they are making a rocket after all.

I chatted with a BO person a while back and they said they really are doing a bunch of stuff, but won't tell anyone about it who doesn't work at the company. So, rockets, I imagine they're building a lunar lander as well...

14 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I chatted with a BO person a while back and they said they really are doing a bunch of stuff, but won't tell anyone about it who doesn't work at the company. So, rockets, I imagine they're building a lunar lander as well...

Oh, I've no doubt they're hard at work over there. It's just that outward secrecy makes it seem like nothing is happening to us observers, and so it seems like a surprise when we see any visual progress whatsoever. I was trying to play into that for effect.