Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

1 hour ago, tater said:

A shot from inside BO factory:

E2uY8UVVoAQhWQx?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Well they have a beautiful facility, almost reaching ULA levels of professionalism. Aside from the pallets holding up a rocket cradle (that must violate some OSHA guidelines) but that's an interesting way to build a rocket. Rings being most likely welded together between smaller rings. Doing that seems like it would create a bunch of weak points. 

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

It's very possible that is still a mockup since we haven't heard anything else since, so in that case not much of it would be made to resist a flight

That looks like the same mockup we saw a couple months ago. 

Hopefully we can see some actual flight hardware soon.

2 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how the rocket segment is resting on stacked pallets? This being rocket engineering, one would think there would be something like a specially designed Rocket Segment Supporting Apparatus, which is worth more than the building it's located in.

Of course, we don't know the specs of those pallets ...

Nice catch, but if you’re referring to the gray jig marked ‘B’ under the right side of the flag, those don’t look like pallets under it to me. It looks like cribbing: four 6x6s or 8x8s (railway ties?) laid in alternating directions. A common way of semi-permanently supporting heavy loads. I’ve seen that used under school portables, houses being moved , etc.  

Now if they were pallets, if they were standardized pallets like the orange CPC or blue CHEP pallets, I wouldn’t be concerned. Those things are as strong as they are heavy, and they’re pretty heavy. Unlike the cheap skids of variable quality we get around here...

3 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate how the rocket segment is resting on stacked pallets? This being rocket engineering, one would think there would be something like a specially designed Rocket Segment Supporting Apparatus, which is worth more than the building it's located in.

Of course, we don't know the specs of those pallets ...

*squints*

D’oh, ninja’d by the next page. :lol:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Well they have a beautiful facility, almost reaching ULA levels of professionalism. Aside from the pallets holding up a rocket cradle (that must violate some OSHA guidelines) but that's an interesting way to build a rocket. Rings being most likely welded together between smaller rings. Doing that seems like it would create a bunch of weak points. 

Construction stands. Fairly common practice. My work had some during our last project that we put multi-ton loads on.

Notice the yellow "thing" to the left? It has "Wing Assy 3" written on it, upside down. I dont realy understand if "assy" is just short for assembly of a proper word on its own, the translation seems inconclusive...

Just now, Elthy said:

Notice the yellow "thing" to the left? It has "Wing Assy 3" written on it, upside down. I dont realy understand if "assy" is just short for assembly of a proper word on its own, the translation seems inconclusive...

Yes, "assy" is a shortened form of "assembly".

Again, a common engineering abbreviation.

2 hours ago, Codraroll said:

So for a few minutes on July 19, the next guy on the wealth list gets to say he's the richest man on Earth?

(depending on the fluctuating value of stocks yadda yadda)

By association, the record for the richest person ever in space will probably not be broken for a long, long time.

Blue Origin doing their live auction on YouTube right now.

They sorta suck at this.

They won't actually be announcing who wins today. They start the stream, then the auction doesn't start for a while...

The 3k people watching are probably all as bored as I am with it. I'm only watching because I have nothing better to do right now since my wife is taking a class online this morning.

They have a 6% charge to the auction house.

They could have just done it live online and not used a real auction house, and 6% more goes to charity.

$28M

For 11-12 minutes.

That's $38,888 per second.

A private Crew Dragon seat (Axiom) is $55M, and includes 8 days on ISS. That's $70/s (and grossly more experience in space).

(this was about buying access to Bezos)