Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Anyone heard from ULA about this? 

I think they're too busy looking for a Plan B for the lack of a delivered BE-4 engine.   One option being considered: knitting needles and a whole lot of steel wool.

12 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Anyone heard from ULA about this? 

Not ULA, but we do know what Northrop Grumman's (part of the National Team) Lunar Mission Fault Management Engineer thinks about all this, and this was before BO took NASA in the federal court

1 hour ago, MKI said:

I feel bad for most of those working at BO. They are seeing their company turn into a villain in the industry before they have been able to do much.

"You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy OldSpace, not join them!"

<_<

neither Bezos nor Vader have hair... just sayin...

Relevant:

1 hour ago, MKI said:

I feel bad for most of those working at BO. They are seeing their company turn into a villain in the industry before they have been able to do much.

Yeah, the engineers seem really cool and they've apparently been working on all kinds of cool stuff in secret. It's not their fault the management throws a fit.

3 hours ago, MKI said:

yeah...those folks do seem like great people! Who on earth did Bezos hire for PR???? Whoever it is is giving the company a bad rep.....

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

Yeah, the engineers seem really cool and they've apparently been working on all kinds of cool stuff in secret. It's not their fault the management throws a fit.

This is true for ALL the space companies—about the engineers, anyway.

ULA, Boeing, LockMart, Northrop Grumman, etc. The engineers for launch vehicles, spacecraft, civil engineering in space, space power (most I know did space nuclear) are space geeks. They want Moon bases, and humans to explore Mars, etc. I've known more than I could count, all very much into it.

The reality before there were private companies with the means to really move the dial—and by private I mean not beholden to stockholders, ie, not "public"—they had to operate withing the allowed bounds. Publish papers on cislunar exploration, with proposed "paper" landers, etc—then hope some budget comes.