Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

Guilty as charged, I’ve been an unabashed SpaceX fan since before RATSat.

With that said, if it had been Mr Musk pulling that insecure ‘look at meee!’ nonsense with Mr Shatner today, I’d be hard at work digging out a snarky one-liner to call out SpaceX instead. 

Edited by KSK

3 minutes ago, KSK said:

Guilty as charged, I’ve been an unabashed SpaceX fan since before RATSat.

With that said, if it had been Mr Musk pulling that insecure ‘look at meee!’ nonsense with Mr Shatner today, I’d be hard at work digging out a snarky one-liner to call out SpaceX instead. 

Musk staying as far as he could from Inspiration 4 was a good choice. Bezos trying to show that Shatner's flight was actually about him wasn't

Edited by Beccab

27 minutes ago, Beccab said:

There wasn't really much positive to say about BO in the last... Year.

Don't know why you needed that extra word at the end, could have stopped at the ellipsis.

Blue made some good power points back when I was in high school 7 years ago, but so did virgin, and virgin doesn't parade around acting like they are the best and sueing people if they say otherwise... Or was that the Russians? 

51 minutes ago, Mister Spock said:

Very cool!  Way to go, Captain.

In KSP terms, how do they get the booster to land right on the launch spot?  What direction did the booster fly?

Booster flies up.

Aerodynamic control surfaces guide it back down.

51 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Is it just me or is this thread just the place where SpaceX Fans come to rant about BO?

That's kind of the whole forum now. People come here to either rant about SpaceX or to gush about SpaceX and rant about anyone else who dares to not be SpaceX.

50 minutes ago, AtomicTech said:

Is it just me or is this thread just the place where SpaceX Fans come to rant about BO?

I desperately wanted to be a BO fan. One, I actually align more with Bezos on space colonization, even if I can't see any reason for it. Two, I want to see competition, because the only way for lower prices to really happen, and entirely new, un-thought of businesses to appear is price competition.

3 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

People come here to either rant about SpaceX or to gush about SpaceX and rant about anyone else who dares to not be SpaceX.

I make every effort to support all of them (except SLS, I'll admit, I have fundamental issues with it), but unforced errors really bug me at this level of play. The way BO manages PR is an embarrassment.

Oh - forgot to say. If and when Blue Origin start putting New Glenn together, I’ll be watching this thread for news as avidly as I watch the SpaceX thread for Starship news.

Sadly, at the moment I find it hard to get excited about Blue (got the blues you could say). Ongoing lawsuits (not the GAO appeal I hasten to add) don’t help.

Also… I just don’t find Bezos particularly sympathetic or inspiring. Musk has his faults for sure - and I’m not convinced I’d want him as a boss - but in general I like his straight-talking SpaceX persona.

Bezos? Well he built the right shaped rocket.

1 minute ago, KSK said:

Oh - forgot to say. If and when Blue Origin start putting New Glenn together, I’ll be watching this thread for news as avidly as I watch the SpaceX thread for Starship news.

NG was announced in 2016 to fly in 2020. 4 years. Now Q4 2022—which we all know means 2023. Almost double, yet no one talks about "Bezos time."

I really want to see BO flying real rockets.

12 minutes ago, tater said:

NG was announced in 2016 to fly in 2020. 4 years. Now Q4 2022—which we all know means 2023. Almost double, yet no one talks about "Bezos time."

I really want to see BO flying real rockets.

For Bezos time, first you need to have something actually accomplished to have a comparison. I too can say I will build a rocket in 4 years and then proceed to delay it by another 3 when the time passes

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

I like how He's saying it like He's doing another one of His documentaries, really happy for Him :D 

Thank you for being one of the only ones not just pointlessly dumping on blue origin or what they are doing. Lets just appreciate that space tourism is pretty awesome. Maybe not as exciting as full blown space missions but it's a start. 

These people are having the times of their lives and are living out childhood dreams, props to that and let's stay positive.

Edited by SpaceFace545

Lets face it, SpaceX's main selling point is "what have they done this week?" and they have very few dry spells.

But this was supposed to be New Shepards time to shine... and Bezos made it about him, instead of about the flight.

8 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Bezos made it about him, instead of about the flight.

Yes for this second flight. I think it was fair that Bezos flew on the first crewed flight. He's trying to sell tickets to billionaires, and they are going to notice if he's unwilling to fly on it. The fact that he and his brother flew on it is a sign that they trust it to be safe.

But holy %^$#, why invite "Captain Kirk" on your rocket and then try to upstage him? Maybe they didn't trust what he was going to say?

45 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

But holy %^$#, why invite "Captain Kirk" on your rocket and then try to upstage him? Maybe they didn't trust what he was going to say?

Yeah, that was my real complaint—that  was the unforced error. They let him speak a few moments later, but it looked inattentive, and rude to me.

5 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Wait. Just wait. Is the New Shepard booster really named "First Step"? I mean, isn't that a bit insulting to Yuri?

Thinking about it, if we consider Spaceship 2 as "not going to space" then New Shepard is actually the least powerful manned suborbital rocket ever built - the X-15, Mercury Redstone and even the Scaled Composites spaceship all went higher than NS ever did