Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

32 minutes ago, tater said:

That or the render is meh.

I was getting ready to conclude that the render is, as you say, 'meh', on other grounds. 

Several of the interiors in those renders looked like they were designed for a 1 g environment, They either had a definite up/down orientation, or a lot of wasted volume for a 0 g environment. (I hope I'm making myself clear)

24 minutes ago, Kerwood Floyd said:

I was getting ready to conclude that the render is, as you say, 'meh', on other grounds. 

Several of the interiors in those renders looked like they were designed for a 1 g environment, They either had a definite up/down orientation, or a lot of wasted volume for a 0 g environment. (I hope I'm making myself clear)

They had a picnic table (with seats) and stuff that magically remained attached to the floor, so yes, it's a bad render. Bad graphics too for a 2021 promotional video

11 hours ago, Beccab said:

They had a picnic table (with seats) and stuff that magically remained attached to the floor, so yes, it's a bad render. Bad graphics too for a 2021 promotional video

It's not hard to bolt a table to the floor. Whether you need seats or not is a different matter.

From what I have heard, lots of times people in microgravity establish mutual "up and down" when working and talking together, simply because it is more psychologically comfortable.

Edited by mikegarrison

3 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

It's not hard to bolt a table to the floor. Whether you need seats or not is a different matter.

From what I have heard, lots of times people in microgravity establish mutual "up and down" when working and talking together, simply because it is more psychologically comfortable.

I've also heard that astronauts miss the distinction between standing and sitting in a chair. So even if you don't stick to the seat, maybe a chair would be nice. Huge open spaces, on the other hand...I'd want to run some bungee ropes across.

10 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Yes, the whole ISS has a "ceiling" and a "floor",  not only for psychological reasons, but is much more confortable and easier to work if all the labels and equipments have the same orientation. IIRC the "floor" is towards Earth even

edit: grammar

Edited by VaPaL

19 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Rendezvous with Rama featured this as a minor plot point, if I recall correctly. Having a defined up and down makes it easier to orient yourself, and set a mental system of reference to prevent vertigo in zero G. Imagine floating at one end of a corridor, maybe doing some work along the short wall, grabbing a handhold, and looking over your shoulder. The comfortable perspective is that you're standing at the end of a horizontal corridor, like on Earth. Slightly more unsettling is imagining that you lie at the bottom of a deep, narrow well. But if your brain somehow tricks you into believing you've grabbed a hold to the ceiling of a tall and narrow tower shaft, you'd have to take several deep breaths to let go of that handhold, and it would be hard to focus on the work you're doing. Having some surroundings telling you what is up would be a real comfort in that situation.

48 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

That's actually smart - place with no lawsuit friendly laws like the US, oil rich playboys hoping to impress friends and media control.  Plus deniability. 

And caravans of rich people.

8 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Having a defined up and down makes it easier to orient yourself, and set a mental system of reference to prevent vertigo in zero G. Imagine floating at one end of a corridor, maybe doing some work along the short wall, grabbing a handhold, and looking over your shoulder. The comfortable perspective is that you're standing at the end of a horizontal corridor, like on Earth.

In Almaz the walls, the ceiling, and the floor  of the corridor were even painted in corresponding colors.

The Skylab devs preferred to think it's a tower, and the floor is the aft end.

In MOL they had a tower of cubic cubicles 2x2x2 with same floor-ceiling-walls.

So, Americans prefer to hide in towers, the Russians - in tunnels.

13 hours ago, Codraroll said:

Rendezvous with Rama featured this as a minor plot point, if I recall correctly. Having a defined up and down makes it easier to orient yourself, and set a mental system of reference to prevent vertigo in zero G. Imagine floating at one end of a corridor, maybe doing some work along the short wall, grabbing a handhold, and looking over your shoulder. The comfortable perspective is that you're standing at the end of a horizontal corridor, like on Earth. Slightly more unsettling is imagining that you lie at the bottom of a deep, narrow well. But if your brain somehow tricks you into believing you've grabbed a hold to the ceiling of a tall and narrow tower shaft, you'd have to take several deep breaths to let go of that handhold, and it would be hard to focus on the work you're doing. Having some surroundings telling you what is up would be a real comfort in that situation.

"The enemy gate is down."

This has, of course, been posted in the SX thread, but let's put it here as well, for posteriority and for me to point out something.

No Jeff, you do not wish NASA and SpaceX full success on this contract. If that were the case, you would not have brought this lawsuit in the first place.

Regarding the respect of this court's judgement and whether he appeals and pushes this to higher courts, that remains to be seen, but I would not be surprised if he was not done with this.

On 10/26/2021 at 12:32 PM, tater said:

LEO science done by humans is essentially about keeping humans alive in LEO.

Any more basic science than that is better done sans humans, as humans mess up the microgravity environment.

It should also come in handy in keeping humans alive during interplanetary voyages.  The ISS shows a lot of issues and solutions (presumably MIR and previous Soviet space stations showed same, but NASA and Americans can easily overlook them) for spending a few months in space.

2 hours ago, wumpus said:

It should also come in handy in keeping humans alive during interplanetary voyages.  The ISS shows a lot of issues and solutions (presumably MIR and previous Soviet space stations showed same, but NASA and Americans can easily overlook them) for spending a few months in space.

Sure. ISS is a lab about keeping humans alive off the Earth.