Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I would tend to agree. For instance, riding a ferry, passengers feel the engine more than they hear it. I imagine a deaf person would be more attuned to the vibrations of the world around them, and should definitely be able to feel a rocket launch if close enough, without being too close.

I must admit, @GuessingEveryDay, that now I'm curious as to just what level/frequencies of infrasound you can detect, like a loud subwoofer. But that's a question for another thread. Perhaps you wouldn't mind posting about it in the Fun Facts! thread, or creating a thread in The Lounge? If not, I understand.

Sure, I'll work on the censorship so y'all don't come after me.

1 hour ago, RCgothic said:

Nice BE4 hot-fire test footage:

Looks very nice.  I would like to know the duration and actual date/time of the test, not just the cumulative test time.  Is it running rich?  I'm looking at the orange flames on the lower/ground side of the plume.  I wonder if that is an artifact of the horizontal orientation?  It is very satisfying to see the video for sure

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Looks very nice.  I would like to know the duration and actual date/time of the test, not just the cumulative test time.  Is it running rich?  I'm looking at the orange flames on the lower/ground side of the plume.  I wonder if that is an artifact of the horizontal orientation?  It is very satisfying to see the video for sure

I think it’s just kicking up some dust and then heating it orange-hot. :o

6 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

I think it’s just kicking up some dust and then heating it orange-hot.

Could be.  Could be organic plant bits, wood dust, pollen, spider turds, bug parts etc in the dust.  Makes sense.  They should probably have plate there instead of dirt

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tater said:

Would link the timestamped stream vid, except BO is terrible at this, and takes those down.

I haven't checked in a bit, but if things haven't changed, it's not their fault, their stream got copyright claimed by some Brazilian media company.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Interesting:

And then:

A bit ironic that the company that wanted to patent sea landings is now copying the way another company lands on the sea, but who am I to judge

Edit: also, reminder that Blue thinks they'll be able to land the booster beginning from the first launch, so that must be completed before NG lifts off

Edited by Beccab

Just now, mikegarrison said:

That's what the reports say.

But Bezos has a lot more money than Blue Origin does.

True, but it's privately held by him, right? He named the recovery ship after his mom... what's a couple hundred million, he blew a huge multiple of that just by having a girlfriend (while simultaneously having a wife ;) ).

More on point, the point of the ship vs barge was that underway it was a more stable platform in heavier seas to improve launch windows WRT weather.