Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

On 9/17/2022 at 12:21 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

I have a hard time believing that a mostly vertical re entry from a low altitude would make more g forces than a mostly vertical re entry from a high altitude. Might have been a spike upon the abort engine ignition.

That seems odd to me as well. The booster lands approximately five miles downrange so that's a pretty vertical re-entry nominally. Maybe the abort kicked the capsule back toward the launch site which made it more vertical? 

On 9/17/2022 at 12:21 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

I have a hard time believing that a mostly vertical re entry from a low altitude would make more g forces than a mostly vertical re entry from a high altitude. Might have been a spike upon the abort engine ignition.

Capsule was at max Q when it escaped at very high g, that thick air would have caused very high deceleration forces once the LES engine cut. So maybe the spike was the decel from escape burn, not normal descent?

One thing is certain, while 15g may not seem like much for emergency situations in various craft, I bet people at Shatner's and Funk's age will have second thoughts after this.  I wonder how much detailed scrutiny is given typically to LES deployment during max Q with elderly passengers?

I think the aero forces once the abort engine starts dropping out are what is inducing that wobble.  Big forces in thick air at high speed; very quick deceleration

Passengers would be redding-out rather than blacking out if they went out at all.  Elderly people would be at higher risk for stroke, aneurism maybe with that much neg g

Edited by darthgently

Alright that's it I'm going frame by frame and plotting acceleration and velocity based on the official telemetry. There's been too much speculation on this. I might have a little bit of free time tomorrow morning to do it, but in general this week is very busy for me so it will take a while.

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2022 at 12:27 PM, darthgently said:

I think the aero forces once the abort engine starts dropping out are what is inducing that wobble.  Big forces in thick air at high speed; very quick deceleration

Passengers would be redding-out rather than blacking out if they went out at all.  Elderly people would be at higher risk for stroke, aneurism maybe with that much neg g

Ooooooh yes that makes sense.

On 9/21/2022 at 1:20 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Alright that's it I'm going frame by frame and plotting acceleration and velocity based on the official telemetry. There's been too much speculation on this. I might have a little bit of free time tomorrow morning to do it, but in general this week is very busy for me so it will take a while.

Did you ever manage this?

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

They sure know their target audience.

boost.png

Let the pork flow!

It's kinda cool that the two electronics suppliers in the Portland area are like 15 minutes away from me though :)

Actually, checking a little further, one of them is literally in my neighborhood.

I'll be very curious to see what their design is. SpaceX is an obvious choice for one of the landers, so the NT's main competitor will be the Dynetics led team.

Pork aside, do y'all think they will actually come up with something reasonably useful and innovative this time (despite the pork and associated setbacks caused by it), or will we get a rehash of the original NT lander, with all of its glaring inefficiencies and anachronisms?

3 hours ago, SunlitZelkova said:

It's kinda cool that the two electronics suppliers in the Portland area are like 15 minutes away from me though :)

Actually, checking a little further, one of them is literally in my neighborhood.

I'll be very curious to see what their design is. SpaceX is an obvious choice for one of the landers, so the NT's main competitor will be the Dynetics led team.

Pork aside, do y'all think they will actually come up with something reasonably useful and innovative this time (despite the pork and associated setbacks caused by it), or will we get a rehash of the original NT lander, with all of its glaring inefficiencies and anachronisms?

Dynetics, partnering with NG this time, has a much more realistic chance than the "National Team" imo. They actually have a good lander design, and solved the issues they had during HLS phase B