Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

Ooo, I like this. BO was a bit secretive and not very vocal about their progress, but these last few days of giving us pretty pictures implies more good news in the not so distant future.

Although, I don't really like the mission control. I much prefer the amphitheater layout where each row of stations is placed higher than the previous. It gives a much better look at the big screen up front, and better line of sight from the front to the stations themselves. Also, blue LEDs under the desks... :barf:

49 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Although, I don't really like the mission control. I much prefer the amphitheater layout where each row of stations is placed higher than the previous. It gives a much better look at the big screen up front, and better line of sight from the front to the stations themselves. Also, blue LEDs under the desks... :barf:

These days monitors are big and full of information. Pretty sure the amphitheatre layout was mainly influenced by the limited hardware and software back in the day.

6 hours ago, Wjolcz said:

These days monitors are big and full of information. Pretty sure the amphitheatre layout was mainly influenced by the limited hardware and software back in the day.

This, the Apollo consoles was not even that we would called consoles connected to an mainframe, it was more like monitors selecting TV channels for feeds. The buttons was an entire other system. 
It was an hack possible because it was hardly any cost restrains. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the fuel on this thing meant to be LH2+LO2? I know it's hard to contain, but it's what NASA wants to try to manufacture from moon ice, so I wonder if any of the contracted landers will use it as the primary fuel.

5 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Is the fuel on this thing meant to be LH2+LO2? I know it's hard to contain, but it's what NASA wants to try to manufacture from moon ice, so I wonder if any of the contracted landers will use it as the primary fuel.

IIRC the descent stage engines have been explicitly stated to be BE-7. That's a hydrolox engine.

Edited by mikegarrison

50 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Bezos demoed the Blue Moon lander with LH2+LOX and explained that the fuel cells would run off the accumulated boiloff. The human lander descent module uses a pair of engines. I suspect that the accumulated boiloff also feeds hot-gas thrusters a la Starship.

I'm liking all the landers. Landers have always been my favorite. Kill SLS after the current engines are used up, and build all 3 landers with the extra money.

(then use Orion until something better comes along, lofted by NG, and have ULA make ACES to get it to the Moon).