KSP Weekly: Without labor nothing prospers

SQUAD

Ships blow up and shake apart because of unfixable problems with Unity.

Most users of KSP have never got as far a Duna because there isn't even any in-game information about transfer windows or dV and you want to make a harder difficulty level for those that can only make it into Kerbin SOI?

I question your priorities.

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Sure has. but as usual. Can't say much more on that... yetTM  
But why not all of them? and why wouldn't you want catastrophic failures? Isn't that what KSP is all about? Learning from catastrophic failures?

It depends on the failure rate, what tools are provided to help that learning and whether the risk of catastrophic failures can be mitigated by good ship design or other gameplay mechanics.

For example if I lose attitude control on the way to the Mun (causing the mission to fail) because I was relying purely on my capsule's built in reaction wheels and not building in redundancy via an RCS system or a spare reaction wheel module (or bringing an engineer along to fix things in-flight)  - that's fine. It's fairly easy to spot what went wrong and there are in-game ways of working around that failure mode in future. However, if I lose touch with my Jool probe when the second backup antenna explodes for no obvious reason then random part failure just becomes irritating. Realistic  - arguably. Fun - not as far as I'm concerned. I rolled the dice and lost - no second chance, no way around it.

3 hours ago, IllyrianTheGreat said:

No pictures of new part? :(

So far all pictures we've seen revolve around a 'space race to the Mun', the parts look pretty good to me. I do however wonder if there will be more to it within the expansion (parts or history missions wise), History is so much more then only the race to the moon, will there be parts or missions to build the KSS, will we send Hubble like telescopes to space, voyagers,  pathfinders and oppertunity's to Duna?

Or are we even 'making history' with (planned) real life missions that have not yet made it to the historybooks. (setting boots on Mars and such)

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:

we did a first round of performance profiling KSP without Lingoona, identifying several GarbageCollector (a form of automatic memory management .NET uses)  spikes in FixedUpdate methods.

Excellent.

12 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Later this information will be used together with the Lingoona integration to minimize the effects on GC related to localization.

Good...
But I will be extremely liquided if this localization shenanigans has any detrimental impact on performance.

Part failures are intriguing as long as we have ways of reducing the failure chances. Failures are a real life occurrence, but the ability to test and analyze failures to reduce future failures is also a real life practice. I think it would be great to have to work up to manned missions through testing in the way that the real space programs did.

Thinking more about this...it's not just how many times you've flown (for example) a particular engine model, it's also tied to how many times you've flown an engine type (fuel type or vacuum vs ASL), furthermore, it's tied to how many times you've launched any type of rocket. As your experience goes up new models will have lower failure chances because you've gotten better at designing and building engines. SpaceX has had a much lower percentage of engine failures than we experienced in the 50's even though the SpaceX engines are new models.

Edited by Tyko

18 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

It has been mentioned previously in KSP Weekly. It is a feature of the Expansion.

DangIt! As part of AddOn? How masochistic i am that i chear for it?:D

Funny Kabooms 

Urses 

Edited by Urses

1 hour ago, Azimech said:

Please explain.

Once the Kraken whispered into my ear ... "Strive to become a better engineer".

"A quick search for "Unity joint wobble" should reveal a myriad of questions and offered solutions. We have tried them all, but none have worked without severely restricting other parts of KSP. It is an inherent part of the game engine. "

1 minute ago, Daveroski said:

"A quick search for "Unity joint wobble" should reveal a myriad of questions and offered solutions. We have tried them all, but none have worked without severely restricting other parts of KSP. It is an inherent part of the game engine. "

Yes, I know about the limits of Unity joints. Enough that I made an account on the forum to one day talk about those issues (procrastinating). And Squad could solve a number of those issues but they would probably need some help from the community. Lots of parts have generic parameters while fine-tuning would solve lots of those issues. Since we're talking about a tremendous amount of parts and parameters, I can imagine their priorities are elsewhere.

But there is also craft design, the will to work around those issues. It just takes time, dedication and an analytical behaviour.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:22 PM, JPLRepo said:

It has been mentioned previously in KSP Weekly. It is a feature of the Expansion.

I'm going to call this the Expansion Killer feature.  I won't pay money for a worse gaming experience lol.

2 hours ago, Frybert said:

Jesus, did localization kill your father or something?

Like I said, if.

IMO, there are far more important areas to focus on than localization, but so long as it doesn't impact performance or introduce more bugs... whatever.

43 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I'm going to call this the Expansion Killer feature.  I won't pay money for a worse gaming experience lol.

I wouldn't call it a worse gaming experience feature at all. I think the problem is the community don't understand how this feature will work because you don't have the details and that's just where we are in the cycle. Eventually all will be revealed. For now all I can say is I think it will be a good feature that people in general will really like.

I might be in the minority from the looks of it, but love the idea of parts failure. Sounds like it will add a whole new level of excitement... and a lot of fun, unexpected writing opportunities to exploit. :D

26 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I wouldn't call it a worse gaming experience feature at all. I think the problem is the community don't understand how this feature will work because you don't have the details and that's just where we are in the cycle. Eventually all will be revealed. For now all I can say is I think it will be a good feature that people in general will really like.

Sorry, but failures will always be a failure in KSP.  The old dev team knew that.

I don't even want that crap in my game.  No matter how good the rest of the package may end up, this is a deal breaker.

Edited by Alshain

18 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

And if people don't like it, they can always disable it or turn it down in the difficulty settings.

Right?

Unknown.  We don't know yet if it only applies to missions, or if it applies to other game modes, as well.

9 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Sorry, but failures will always be a failure in KSP.  The old dev team knew that.

I don't even want that crap in my game.  No matter how good the rest of the package may end up, this is a deal breaker.

Agreed. I want to play a game and enjoy it. I want to be able to destress. Trying to make something fly and have parts just break seems more like extra stress than extra fun, especially if it becomes a general game setting for all parts and cannot be toggled off.

2 minutes ago, razark said:

Unknown

Sorry, it was intended to be a pointed "Devs, you'd better have done this," not an actual assertion of fact.
Besides, the last time a dev [Keen] forgot to include an off switch on something [cyberhounds], the community nearly broke their door down.

Edited by 0111narwhalz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.