Lego to release deluxe Apollo 11 kit

vger

20 hours ago, Galileo said:

KSP is better though because I don't accidentally step on a part from KSP in the middle of the night heading toward the kitchen :D 

Can you imagine the pain of stepping on such an explosive caltrop?  :D

I so very want this set.  'Stayed up into the wee hours watching some Scottish guy put his together, while answering questions in chat with the aid of my Saturn V operator's manual.  That big pipe down the side?  It was officially called a "systems tunnel".

Edited by Archgeek
I only wanted to type that once, you see.

1 hour ago, Archgeek said:

That big pipe down the side?  It was officially called a "systems tunnel".

That's just government agency speak for "big pipe down the side" and basically allows the contractor to charge 10x as much on their invoice. 

"Oh, sure budget calls for a rather expensive "systems tunnel" makes sense, the tunnel that holds systems is probably important!" 

As opposed to...

"Wait WHAT!  ...we paid how much for a section of pipe!"

Edited by XLjedi

5 hours ago, juvilado said:

Woa! its quite expensive, but for once i can consider buying an expensive lego product...

This is actually absurdly cheap as far as Lego goes. Usually, a set with that many parts will run you at least $200, likely a bit more. And this one also has a 200-page, three languages, full color history primer and manual included on top of the parts.

It's a steal, no matter how you look at it. :)

25 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

This is actually absurdly cheap as far as Lego goes. Usually, a set with that many parts will run you at least $200, likely a bit more. And this one also has a 200-page, three languages, full color history primer and manual included on top of the parts.

It's a steal, no matter how you look at it. :)

How can i buy it?!

6 hours ago, juvilado said:

Woa! its quite expensive, but for once i can consider buying an expensive lego product...

Yeah, I think the typical set is about $0.10 a brick...  this one runs about $0.06 per brick.  Not sure if the part count listed on the box is entirely accurate in this case though.  I suspect it's around 2000 parts, but pretty cool they listed it as 1969

Just now, XLjedi said:

Yeah, I think the typical set is about $0.10 a brick...  this one runs about $0.06 per brick.  Not sure if the part count listed on the box is entirely accurate in this case though.  I suspect it's around 2000 parts, but pretty cool they listed it as 1969

Anyway its out of stock now...

I'm up to bag 5/6. Stage IC nearly complete! It's nice and solid, but I'm a little disappointed the interstage ring remains attached to SIC. I'm already pondering if I can alter it to be a separate piece. Just the F1s let to do!

Also noticed looking ahead that for the command module you have to swap between the Boost Protective Cover version and the one without. Guess they don't have a hollow piece to go over the top of a cone piece!

46 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

Part count of 1969 is actually accurate, (assuming the like the instructions, you count the pry tool included as a part) I got a few spares of smaller parts, but 1968 are required for the build.

7 minutes ago, Rhomphaia said:

Part count of 1969 is actually accurate, (assuming the like the instructions, you count the pry tool included as a part) I got a few spares of smaller parts, but 1968 are required for the build.

They're selling the snow speeder again for $199 and part count is 1703...  at nearly $0.12 per brick, it's almost double the cost of the Apollo rocket.  I'm calling around to some of the main lego stores now and see if I can snag one.

Edit: BAH!  ...they just got some in the Orlando store this morning and won't take any holds or phone orders.  So the stores are still getting them if you're close enough to one to drive by.

Edited by XLjedi

4 hours ago, The Moose In Your House said:

I went on the lego website and it said nothing about a Apollo lego kit, this is probably a hoax.

I agree.  If you look at the pictures, there's no way they actually went to the Lego Moon.  They probably got Lego Kubrick to fake it.  I mean, seriously, his name is Kubrick!

Look at this:

Spoiler

ppk8ywbkj1n3vrytdkbg.jpg

Those are obviously not real minfigure astronauts!  More like minifibure astronots!  There's no way that "lander" could actually fit into the Saturn V, and that recovered Command Module is completely different from the one on top of the rocket! 

And that faked moon surface! That's not what a real Lego moon looks like.  We know.  If it was real, it would look like this:

Spoiler

3947a.png

The Lego Apollo landings were faked!  Don't let them get away with constructing their lies.  They'll just end up building on this, piece by piece.  Soon, they'll be telling us the Lego world is round!

Spoiler

But we all know it's actually flat:

41ZfaexZDqL.jpg

WE MUST SPREAD THE TRUTH!

2 hours ago, razark said:

I agree.  If you look at the pictures, there's no way they actually went to the Lego Moon.  They probably got Lego Kubrick to fake it.  I mean, seriously, his name is Kubrick!

Look at this:

Reveal hidden contents

ppk8ywbkj1n3vrytdkbg.jpg

Those are obviously not real minfigure astronauts!  More like minifibure astronots!  There's no way that "lander" could actually fit into the Saturn V, and that recovered Command Module is completely different from the one on top of the rocket! 

And that faked moon surface! That's not what a real Lego moon looks like.  We know.  If it was real, it would look like this:

Reveal hidden contents

3947a.png

The Lego Apollo landings were faked!  Don't let them get away with constructing their lies.  They'll just end up building on this, piece by piece.  Soon, they'll be telling us the Lego world is round!

Reveal hidden contents

But we all know it's actually flat:

41ZfaexZDqL.jpg

WE MUST SPREAD THE TRUTH!

7 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I just checked the headlines, I didn't search it up.

Edited by The Moose In Your House

On 2.6.2017 at 11:09 PM, XLjedi said:

That's just government agency speak for "big pipe down the side" and basically allows the contractor to charge 10x as much on their invoice. 

"Oh, sure budget calls for a rather expensive "systems tunnel" makes sense, the tunnel that holds systems is probably important!" 

As opposed to...

"Wait WHAT!  ...we paid how much for a section of pipe!"

LOL, and pretty accurate, 90% is the LOX pipe, also power and data lines and perhaps some extra pipes for other gasses 
Think all stages using hydrogen fuel have them as you don't want to run the LOX trough the hydrogen tank as it might freeze

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, 1of6Billion said:

The other day I was wondering I should write to Lego to convince them to relaunch a Lego Space line. I would totally buy every set. 

space-lego-logo-BF47EAE5CA-seeklogo.com.

This is an adequate start :cool:

My best childhood memories are related to the one Christmas I received my blue LL924 space plane and yellow castle... 

LL924.jpg

Ahhh... my Space Knights, it was a truly glorious time!

AND!!!  I was able to swing by the local Barnes & Noble this afternoon and picked up the last Apollo set they had on the shelf!  ...was able to use an educator discount to get an extra 20% off too!

Unfortunately, it will have to wait a couple weeks until we return from summer vacation before I can swoosh it around the family room.

Ahh man - is that the Space Cruiser with Moonbase kit, where the spaceship has a buggy stowed in the back? I always wanted that one!

Taking a detour down memory lane...

Edit. And I still have my yellow castle plus a handful of the original soldiers to go with it. Built it again quite recently for nostalgia's sake and it... wasn't as epic as I remembered. Still a darn fine kit though. 

#TheyDontMakeThemLikeThatAnymore

Edited by KSK

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.