The "Complain About Your School" Thread

TotallyNotHuman

3 minutes ago, razark said:

Well, you don't really have the right to stop him.  After all, he's the one paying for the class.  He pays your salary.  He should be able to use the time he paid for the way he chooses, and if he feels that his time is better spent doing other things than attending a class he paid for, who are you to tell him he's wrong?

:rolleyes:

Or did he just claim you were violating his free speech?

No, actually I do have the right to stop his rant about Trump. In the class he was taking, which is Colonial America, Trump is not relevant. His attempt was to derail the class and his rights to free speech ends where his classmates' rights to learn the materials needed for the course begins. I am all for free speech, but it would be like a bunch of forum members here deciding to turn this forum into a forum about Warcraft. It is not appropriate nor is it relevant to what the scope of the course was.

Not to mention that, but only a small portion of his tuition is used for professor salaries. Most is the cost of university operations; besides how does his "fraction" of my salary give him the right to dominate the other students' rights to learn?

13 minutes ago, razark said:

Well, you don't really have the right to stop him.  After all, he's the one paying for the class.  He pays your salary.  He should be able to use the time he paid for the way he chooses, and if he feels that his time is better spent doing other things than attending a class he paid for, who are you to tell him he's wrong?

7 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

No, actually I do have the right to stop his rant about Trump. In the class he was taking, which is Colonial America, Trump is not relevant. His attempt was to derail the class and his rights to free speech ends where his classmates' rights to learn the materials needed for the course begins. I am all for free speech, but it would be like a bunch of forum members here deciding to turn this forum into a forum about Warcraft. It is not appropriate nor is it relevant to what the scope of the course was.

I have to agree with @adsii1970 on this one. If the class was on current events, that would be different. But if I was a student taking a class in something completely different, and someone went on a rant that had nothing to do with the class, no matter who it was about, I'd be one of the first to start yelling for that individual to sit down and shut up. 

5 minutes ago, razark said:

@adsii1970, @Just Jim:

I had hoped the sarcasm would be self evident.

Sorry, my sarcasm detector was not functioning at the moment. I was actually emailing the dean about the continued harassment of this moron. He has now sent me what could classify as a threat through the campus email.

Edited by adsii1970

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I know your pain. I had 5 years of WWII crap over and over. Amazed I'm not wearing gray today from all the holocaust lessons I had to learn.

True. Luckily the internet is here for me. I litterly learned more about WW2 from like 6 hours worth of video on youtube than i learned from the books in like 6 years. It drives me crazy.

10 minutes ago, NSEP said:

True. Luckily the internet is here for me. I litterly learned more about WW2 from like 6 hours worth of video on youtube than i learned from the books in like 6 years. It drives me crazy.

I learned most of my stuff about ww2 from books and tv shows

And then there are the students, i have this one classmate, who asks the questions that have been explained 30 seconds earlier. I dont know why, maybe she is just "making sure she understands". But it is kind of odd. Everybody just facepalms. And then there are these people who make those stupid meme noises during the lesson. Damn Daniel and Deez Nuts are not even funny, especially when you heard that 1000x times and when its soooo 2015. Unless it fits in with the situation, wich can bring up a giggle but still is distracting and it is butterflyeffecting the education of our people.

2 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I learned most of my stuff about ww2 from books and tv shows

Thats also a good option! Yet since i grew (and im currently growing) up in the computer age. I use YouTube and Wikipedia.

9 hours ago, NSEP said:

True, but it is possible to tell the truth.

And that is what they do not do at my school.

I think you'll find that there is very rarely any one "truth" in life. Life in general, and history in particular, is a matter of perspective. :)

2 minutes ago, Ten Key said:

I think you'll find that there is very rarely any one "truth" in life. Life in general, and history in particular, is a matter of perspective. :)

To some extent. It only becomes subjective when you begin to rid yourself of moral and societal absolutes.

Well my school 'friends' are now mad at me because I made a joke about them and supposedley I don't understand them. Pfffft. Like they understand me! So long for my happy vacation.

Then theres the teachers. My History teacher, all she does is give us an assignment (no lessons) to do or a 'documentary' to watch. (Thank god I'm not in a WW2 unit yet, like I need one...) I am personally worried considering she 'loves documentaries.' She also doesn't like Crash Course. Oh, and these were the ones with John Green in them. Then theres English class. Probally the best class student wise, cheering me on when I get an A, asking me genuine questions, speculating I got the best score in class, and the closest I'll probally ever get to a girlfriend (which isn't by much.) The class itself is really just that one boring one where you don't do anything that feels acomplishing and gives you projects constantly. And the teacher is kinda strict. And pronounces aviation that REALLY ticks me off. Not to mention she doesn't acknowledges my long rants when we read about the Titanic. Also science class: Best teacher ever, jokes, streetsmart, everything. But he gets REALLY carried away with rants and side tangents sometimes. Today he ranted the whole period and told us to turn to page blahblah in the book. Then someone pointed out we have 3 minutes of class. My 'fellow peers' are much like what already stated. At least there's just one who doesn't have the decency to say excuse me and sorry. Theres also the Einstein that sorted me into a class full of seniors. Another thing: Why do they get to use their phones? Also aprently being drinking 4 coffees a week is bad? And some of the things they belive just make me lose faith in humanity some times. Though now I wear "em-em-dees" now (I mean, I just wear them cause they're comfy) and I got people asking to trade shoes... And there I go again on un-decipherable rants. :P Oh well!

There was a history book in one of my classes that described a man catching an eagle out of the sky with a rope. Now, I don't know about you, but I found that highly suspect. Especially because it described it in a way which implied that it was fact, not the story it clearly was.

Plus, a lot of textbooks use really desaturated colors in their infographics. Which, especially when the colors in question are red and green, is a bad for people with (fairly common) colorblindnesses. It's a good thing I could read all the important ones without the use of color, but I could probably file some kind of discrimination suit against the publishers in the name of all the deuteranomalous students who are harmed by the poor utility of the infographics.

Ah well. Pick your battles, I suppose.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:53 AM, Delay said:

I quite like geometry. After all, it enables us to create things like shelves or monitors. Or just look at the Mandelbrot set.

Oh, and my school ends June 21st.

Pfffft....  Try the 28th

Well I'm actually moving on the 14th so I get to miss the last 14 days of school.

[snip]

The only reson she's not one star is she gives extra credit for good reviews.

Says we're all wastes of taxpayer money
Our final was the homework before the final, which was to do a giant flowchart for EVERY SINGLE ARTICLE AND VIDEO WE EVER WATCHED OR READ. She didn't even grade them. she had me grade them. So, I bumped everyone's grade up.

The dean's office would send everyone sent from her class right back.

Edited by Vanamonde
Do not reveal personal information.

16 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Pfffft....  Try the 28th

Well I'm actually moving on the 14th so I get to miss the last 14 days of school.

I have to stop myself from gloating...

9th of June

Spoiler

Sorry if this slightly annoys you...

56f12971_rvMr6.jpeg

On 10/05/2017 at 11:41 PM, StupidAndy said:

no, they are actually really great!

Sounds like my school's history department... I think I'm lucky to have so many teachers (and students) I don't hate. Still nerdy, but so are my friends, and they like science too. 

On 5/11/2017 at 10:32 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

4 days of school left! EAT IT SUCKERS HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Where do you go - wait, you're already out!

4 hours ago, qzgy said:

I have to stop myself from gloating...

9th of June

Hide contents

Sorry if this slightly annoys you...

56f12971_rvMr6.jpeg

No worries,(that was really funny) 

I might kinda miss school because I get to take the elevator instead of walking up and down 4 flights of stairs multiple times every day

On 5/12/2017 at 10:33 PM, Spacetraindriver said:

She also doesn't like Crash Course. Oh, and these were the ones with John Green in them.

I personally find Crash Course informative, but John Green annoys me for no reason. He also talks faster than a bullet, so that's part of it.