The "Complain About Your School" Thread

TotallyNotHuman

17 minutes ago, TotallyNotHuman_ said:

That's...interesting.

they're really nice, they know a TON about history, and we do really cool projects, and sometimes we do interactive stuff, so really history is one of the best classes!

TBH, I quite like my school.

Some problems though

- Some of the classes are heavily lecture based *snore*
- I find that there isn't enough time to do stuff (but that may be a me problem)
- International school! Where like 70% of the students are native chinese speakers and tend to speak chinese. A bit annoying, considering there is a school policy against it during school hours and I can't understand chinese. But not a huge concern.
 - Boarding school which accepts local students - Causes a bit of a disjunction I guess.

Other than that - quite nice.

My history books really tries to make you believe the enemy was bad. Sometimes even in the lamest way. Some gold examples:

"The enemy's supermarkets where often boring." - Supermarkets are for food and other products, not some kind of museum.

"Once the enemy was gone, Harlod could finally smoke a ciggarete again." - Really fits in with the nicotine free generation we tried to get.

I would REALLY want our history books to be on a different perspective. Either on both sides of a war/situation, or on no side at all of the situaition (wich is probably better since it is less propaganda filled). Not on our own side, because that is really ignorant.

So I was going to take my Earth Science SOL (it's a state-required end-of-year test, separate from final exams) on Monday, but I had to do a Cambridge exam on the same day, so I told admin that I'd do the SOL on a make-up day. I had my History SOL on the first make-up day (today), and I got an e-mail saying those with conflicting History/ES make-ups would not take them on the same day. So I finished my History SOL today at ~9:45. At ~12:00, I got a note from admin saying I needed to head to the library for my ES SOL. I was annoyed, but I was prepared for Monday, so I went and took it. Not hard. Fast forward to when I'm at home, and my mother read her (parent) version of the same e-mail I got. It turns out I could have walked to admin, told them I had two tests in one day, and I could've moved the test to Monday.

TLDR - I took two end-of-year tests in one day, even though I didn't really need to.

1 hour ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

So I was going to take my Earth Science SOL (it's a state-required end-of-year test, separate from final exams) on Monday, but I had to do a Cambridge exam on the same day, so I told admin that I'd do the SOL on a make-up day. I had my History SOL on the first make-up day (today), and I got an e-mail saying those with conflicting History/ES make-ups would not take them on the same day. So I finished my History SOL today at ~9:45. At ~12:00, I got a note from admin saying I needed to head to the library for my ES SOL. I was annoyed, but I was prepared for Monday, so I went and took it. Not hard. Fast forward to when I'm at home, and my mother read her (parent) version of the same e-mail I got. It turns out I could have walked to admin, told them I had two tests in one day, and I could've moved the test to Monday.

TLDR - I took two end-of-year tests in one day, even though I didn't really need to.

well...I have only two SOLs this year, and I finished my English SOL in less than an hour! :D

I was the first one to finish in all of my grade! it was SO EASY!

Edited by StupidAndy

7 hours ago, NSEP said:

"The enemy's supermarkets where often boring." - Supermarkets are for food and other products, not some kind of museum.

"Once the enemy was gone, Harlod could finally smoke a ciggarete again." - Really fits in with the nicotine free generation we tried to get.

What.

No.

I sternly refuse to believe that is what textbook writers are putting in their textbooks today.

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono.

57 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

well...I have only two SOLs this year, and I finished my English SOL in less than an hour! :D

I was the first one to finish in all of my grade! it was SO EASY!

I have three. One left, and that's Geometry... ugh.

16 hours ago, NSEP said:

My history books really tries to make you believe the enemy was bad. Sometimes even in the lamest way. Some gold examples:

I would REALLY want our history books to be on a different perspective. Either on both sides of a war/situation, or on no side at all of the situaition (wich is probably better since it is less propaganda filled). Not on our own side, because that is really ignorant.

Ever heard the phrase "History is written by the victors"?

1 minute ago, NSEP said:

Yeah, but i dont like that.

Yep, but it's impossible to change that.

Every book is biased. You cannot be completely impartial.

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Yep, but it's impossible to change that.

True, but it is possible to tell the truth.

And that is what they do not do at my school.

Edited by NSEP

[snip]

We end on the 13th of June. And technically, the 13th is just an end-of-year assembly, so the 12th is the last full school day.  

But what I hate about my school is the planning abilities (or lack thereof) of the teahers. For the first 3/4 of the term, we have 2-3 summative assignments at best, and those are usually just tests.

Then, in the final 1/4 of the term, the teachers get stressed because they haven't graded everyone on all the criteria enough times, so they start piling up tests and assignments on us in the final 3-4 weeks of term. 

And this happens for nearly every class, so now my entire class is loaded with several huge essays, tests and lab reports so the teachers can get the grades in by the due date.

*sigh*

Edited by Vanamonde
Quoting removed post.

Well yesterday in PE we had this unreasonable sub because the Coach was out. Unreasonable as in...

*Starts singing a song from Spongebob* "You guys should've come in here and act your age! I'm gonna send you to Mrs. Melvin's (a science teacher no one likes) class!"

We started throwing a paper plane around (since when you have a sub in our PE classes, they want you to go on your computer and do nothing (but our class HATES that because the class is called Physical Education) but somehow that got on her nerves.

Then, someone rolled a quarter along the floor and I rolled it back. It rolled into the gym's lobby so I went to go look for it. So you know what she did instead of doing absolutely nothing like she should've done! "Hey! Go sit against the wall!"

Image result for what? face

I think the only thing we did that would actually cause a normal sub to get mad was riding a broom like it was a horse, but that was at the beginning of class.

15 hours ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

One left, and that's Geometry... ugh.

I quite like geometry. After all, it enables us to create things like shelves or monitors. Or just look at the Mandelbrot set.

Oh, and my school ends June 21st.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, NSEP said:

This makes me freaking dissapointed alright.

What we learn in history class is just going out of hand. We arent even learning interesting things, this months topic was (supposed to be) about World War Two, but no instead we got Holo(i hope what you know what i mean). We litterly got 1 lesson about the ACTUAL war, about the actual invasions in Europe. But it was not interesting either, no tactics, use of weapons and vehicles were explained expect for blitzkrieg. And then the rest of the month was just pictures that are going to make you cry. Not saying we should forget about that topic, since its still important, but dont let us sit there for a month. I instead hopped on the internet and researched some stuff there.

So i already know some things about this. But i dont want to leave my fellow students uneducated, all they know is The Germans were bad guys in WW2 and i dont want to keep it that way.

I know your pain. I had 5 years of WWII crap over and over. Amazed I'm not wearing gray today from all the holocaust lessons I had to learn.

Here's one - not a "complain about your school" comment as much as it is "complain about students" comment...

Final grades were due on Monday. I gave students until midnight on Saturday (Eastern Daylight Time, U.S.) to turn in any and all remaining assignments they had. Yesterday, I had  a student call me at home screaming on the phone that I was a (insert your profane word here) because I didn't email them personally that they were failing the class AND that it was wrong of me to not include stuff he had turned in yesterday morning (that he emailed an hour before his phone call) in his final grade. He then proceeded to tell me that 1) he would sue me if I didn't change his grade and 2) I was being a jack --- (another word for donkey) for not helping him.

My response to him was simple... "See you in the fall when you retake the course..." Oh, yeah, I should add that I am the only one on the campus that teaches that class.

25 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Here's one - not a "complain about your school" comment as much as it is "complain about students" comment...

Final grades were due on Monday. I gave students until midnight on Saturday (Eastern Daylight Time, U.S.) to turn in any and all remaining assignments they had. Yesterday, I had  a student call me at home screaming on the phone that I was a (insert your profane word here) because I didn't email them personally that they were failing the class AND that it was wrong of me to not include stuff he had turned in yesterday morning (that he emailed an hour before his phone call) in his final grade. He then proceeded to tell me that 1) he would sue me if I didn't change his grade and 2) I was being a jack --- (another word for donkey) for not helping him.

My response to him was simple... "See you in the fall when you retake the course..." Oh, yeah, I should add that I am the only one on the campus that teaches that class.

Gah, I hate those type of people (plenty of those in my class). It's their fault if they can't be bothered to study and complete assignments, they shouldn't be such jerks when they fail the class. :mad: 

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

Gah, I hate those type of people (plenty of those in my class). It's their fault if they can't be bothered to study and complete assignments, they shouldn't be such jerks when they fail the class. :mad: 

Yup, and that is exactly what this kid is... In a 16 week class that met twice a week, he attended FIVE CLASSES (if you do the math, that's only a little over 15% of the classes he attended. I use a point system. While 1,250 is required for an A (there are 1,420 points total available), this clown only had 273 points (19.22%) - not enough to really fail the class! Since the lowest I could go was an F, that's what he received! But see, he has the mindset that he's the real victim - he came into my class telling me that he knew I was not going to like him because I was white and I was going to fail him (and he is a white dude, by the way). The third time he came to class, he was mad because I would not let him go on an anti-Trump rant ; the course is over COLONIAL AMERICA, which the current president, as the rest of us alive at this time, is only an heir of that legacy and not a part of the lecture material.

15 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

The third time he came to class, he was mad because I would not let him...

Well, you don't really have the right to stop him.  After all, he's the one paying for the class.  He pays your salary.  He should be able to use the time he paid for the way he chooses, and if he feels that his time is better spent doing other things than attending a class he paid for, who are you to tell him he's wrong?

:rolleyes:

Or did he just claim you were violating his free speech?