When I first played...

DiamondExcavater

When I first played KSP it was around April 2013, playing on the demo version.. I remember not knowing anything but the basic shape of a rocket, my friends bragged about how they could make rovers and make planes. I was contemplating buying the game at the time, which I did (spoilers)

one thing I remember that i didn't find out for almost 30 hours gameplay, was how to use the SAS, or Safe And Stable button. I used to struggle and battle the movements of the rocket by hand.

what was some noob things you did when you first played KSP?

2 hours ago, DiamondExcavater said:

Yeah times goes really quick, KSP has been with me for a long time and I absolutely love it. It has taught me valuable things!

It sure did!

Played for a couple of days, was already completely hooked and loving everything about it. I was playing career mode and desperately needed money, though. I knew you were supposed to make money through contracts, so I kept wondering; when are they gonna offer me a contract?

Yeah. Cuz ya have to go into mission control and select a contract genius.

And it gets better. I had been playing for about 10 days or so when I saw a review that said F5 and F9 were your best friends. So you could save during a flight? I had no idea. Each time I crashed into the Mun, I would revert flight back to launch and do the whole thing over again.

Not sure how much time I wasted. Best not to dwell on it.

When I started playing, I had no idea what the gravity turn is, and thought that if you just go fast enough and high enough, you enter orbit. The solution was, of course, more boosters!

So I spent a couple of very happy and very Kerbal-like days building monstrous multistage Babylonian towers of cheap low-tech boosters that would fling poor screaming Jeb in his pod out of the Kerbol system. (Oh, and with no SAS, too. Some of the, uh, later models were spin-stabilized).

Eventually, I (by pure accident) got into LKO, but it turned out to be so surprisingly hard that I surrendered and went to google what I was doing wrong all that time.

Still, learning the basics of KSP by trial, error and lots of explosions (intentionally avoiding forums, wiki, etc.) was great fun.

Edited by Haruspex

1 hour ago, ThreeMartiniLaunch said:

When I first played, A nickle would buy you a steak and kidney pie, a cup of coffee, a slice of cheesecake, and a newsreel, with enough change left over to ride the trolley from Battery Park to the Polo Grounds.

Aye, and we walked 200 mile across moors 't work and payed 't owner of 't mill fer 't privilege 'o working.

When I first started I had zero idea of how anything worked. launching straight up and turning left, putting RCS on planes and many more that I can infer but wish to remain confidential.  Then I discovered this forum, now all my errors belong to me.

Well when i started in 2013 i tried the game in crack first , i really got into the game i liked it

for the first 20 days playing the game i never got to orbit , and yeah without SAS and i didnt know that Z would turn to full throttle and X would Turn to Zero throttle and many other stuff and i had trouble attaching stuff from an angle i always killed jeb

almost after 50 days playing the game i finally reached mun ,( and never got back)

after 60 days i finally realized : Why didn't i freaking google how to the stuff

from that point i learned alot of stuff espacially from Scott Manley on Youtube

and on 2015 i bought the original game from steam

which helped alot , since i dont have to reinstall it all over again

I crashed for days while attempting to land on Mun for the first time. Until I realized that while it may seem slow after transiting at  2400+ m/s, 30m/s is actually pretty fast to be slamming into the ground. 

3 hours ago, Space_taco said:

i had trouble attaching stuff from an angle i always killed jeb

Before they added the rotate and offset tools to KSP, I never knew you could use wasdqe to rotate and twist things, I used to place the small cube from the structural parts and place things on it, then move it on top of an angled surface hoping it would be angled like I wanted... 

10 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I crashed for days while attempting to land on Mun for the first time. Until I realized that while it may seem slow after transiting at  2400+ m/s, 30m/s is actually pretty fast to be slamming into the ground. 

Hahahah lol, It took me a while to get used to the ms/second for a while, I had trouble as well cos the Navball would always show me surface speed and didn't switch to orbital speed, or once I realised how to switch by accident, and I wondered how the hell im traveling really fast yet stationary on the surface.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.