Space Race

About 2 1/2 years ago an unusual looking craft by the name of the KSS Points Pirate, touched down on Mun equipped with 8 mini rover as part of its assault on the points based challenge "Mun Landing Endeavor". Although I sent it there simply as an entry to a challenge, I thought it would be fun to set up some "racing action" shots of these (incredibly unstable) rovers.

cqcFLgn.jpgVIGB3V7.jpg6h5j0zW.jpg

Seeing these images again today gave me an idea for a challenge that should appeal to those special kind of people, who like to make thoroughly pointless, but fun constructions.

The Challenge

Create as impressive a grid of racing rovers, boats, airplanes etc. and track facilities as you can, on any body other than Kerbin from a vehicle departing from Kerbin orbit, with as many launches as you'd like from the surface to it, in order to refuel or assemble it.

No points are awarded for this challenge, instead I'll be ranking entries on the basis of how impressive and fun the images look.

Here's some pointers on what would turn the judge's eye.

• Moar racers - Yes... the more rovers, boats, planes etc. the better
  • Track layout - Obviously marking out the entire track layout isn't possibly, but place a few objects as corners markers and plant some flags to give your track some shape
  • Lighting - Bright lights, coloured lights, how about some start lights
  • Pit lane - Somewhere to repair those racers after their inevitable mishaps
  • Location, location, location - my rover pics were on Mun, but how about a race through the red dust of Duna, or the morning chill on Eeloo, or on the waterfront on Laythe

The Rules

1. This is a stock challenge, with a few exceptions listed below

• Aesthetic mods are allowed, but not those that add parts or significantly alter existing ones
  • Planning and guidance mods such as KER and Mechjeb
  • Kerbal Joint Reinforcement

2. All parts shown in any images of your completed track and racing rovers must be delivered in a single launch, but you can refuel en--route, if all refueling uses equipment on the challenge entry vehicle

3. Post some pics - I'll need to see a few images showing how you delivered your race track to its destination.

4. No cheat modes - burn real fuel and electricity, no the F12 menu variety.

5. If in doubt, ask.

I'll be submitting my own entry sometime in the near future, so this challenge has at least one :D

Edited by purpleivan
Made the number of launches rule more flexible

The problem with Laythe is the huge amount of ∆v and, because I use boats (which are heavier then rovers), the mass of the mothership

I spent a lot of time to get to the Jool system, just to see my ship destroyed by Laythe atmosphere.

Does anyone have a ship which can carry a 65 ton payload in LLO ?

Edited by CairoJack

14 minutes ago, CairoJack said:

The problem with Laythe is the huge amount of ∆v and, because I use boats (which are heavier then rovers), the mass of the mothership

I spent a lot of time to get to the Jool system, just to see my ship destroyed by Laythe atmosphere.

Does anyone have a ship which can carry a 65 ton payload in LLO

Liked because I've totally been there, too!

After much practice and design, I have a golf bag full of heavy lifters to haul all sorts of weird payloads. I can send you an easy-to-use heavy lifter, or include your payload in the next trip out to Laythe we make in Project Babylon... probably this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the speedboats! Laythe has some cool places to race to be sure.

2 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Or include your payload in the next trip out to Laythe we make in Project Babylon... probably this weekend.

Thank you very much but I've rebuild my lander and now it weights only 25 tons!

Anyway if you want to launch it in Project Babylon these are the craft file

heavy version (67 tons - 8 boats - 8 buoy) https://kerbalx.com/CairoJack/Laythe-race

light version (25 tons - 4 boats - 4 buoy) https://kerbalx.com/CairoJack/Laythe-race-2

24 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Looking forward to seeing the speedboats! Laythe has some cool places to race to be sure.

Ivp26ld.png

It is very simple, but can reach 50 m/s (180 km/h)

18 hours ago, CairoJack said:

Does anyone have a ship which can carry a 65 ton payload in LLO ?

Can you split the load? Ditch the lab and refinery and one of these should be able to handle 40 ton or so:

Take two, and you can use them to mark the start line.

Edited by Wanderfound

If the limitation of "everything goes in one launch" is putting a crimp on peoples creativity with what they can create racing scene wise at their destination, I'd be open to loosening up the rules a bit, to allow refueling of a vehicle in Kerbin orbit before departure, if there's interest in that.

That way something a lot larger could be sent.

Edited by purpleivan

19 minutes ago, purpleivan said:

If the limitation of "everything goes in one launch" is putting a crimp on peoples creativity with what they can create racing scene wise at their destination, I'd be open to loosening up the rules a bit, to allow refueling of a vehicle in Kerbin orbit before departure, if there's interest in that.

That way something a lot larger could be sent.

Thank you !!!!

2 hours ago, CairoJack said:

Thank you !!!!

Ok, I've adjusted the rules so that the one vehicle limit only applies to what leaves Kerbin orbit. Use as many as you'd like to assemble or refuel your departing circus of racing before it leaves Kerbin SOI :)

I said that I'd be submitting my own entry, but immediately disqualifying myself... here we go.

aFYwyaf.pngJjoHRkA.png6xuJhil.png

Four racing rovers and a simple track marked out with four corner flags and an illuminated pits area, delivered on a rather dusty day on Mun (happens from time to time).

The vehicle I delivered this all on had some lights to decorate it, but after I unloaded everything from it, I realised that it had no control module to turn them on with, or any batteries to power them... so no pretty lights :rolleyes:

This race is dedicated to the pits guy, who mysteriously vanished with a poof sound while warping

Edited by purpleivan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.