Nothing to see here

Spoiler

Only thing you have to make in this challenge is aircraft with lowest mass possible (separated into categories from mk0 to mk3)
You must fly your plane around KSC and then landing on any mountain in one run
Rules
Your plane can fly like brick, it can be a brick.
Only air breathing engines
Flight must be flown with full tanks
Proof in form of screenshots or video
Scoring
Drymass-Topspeed/2
Top speed is in m/s from finall attempt rounded to ones down
Dry mass is in kg

Leaderboard
The lower the better

Mk1 Score divided by 100
Mk2 Score divided by ?
Mk3 Score divided by ?

Mk0 Mk1 Mk2 Mk3
1. Numerlor 1 KenjiCrafts 120                                          
2. Flamingo 5.5      

64bf5eaab8007b65c06248b6754ffaf7.png

Edited by Numerlor

Your craft must be capable of doing a loop around KSC and then landing on any mountain

What exactly do you mean by "any mountain"? The mountains west of the KSC and on the island chain? Or any terrain object above sea level?

3 minutes ago, SpacePod9 said:

What exactly do you mean by "any mountain"? The mountains west of the KSC and on the island chain? Or any terrain object above sea level?

Anything that has biome "Mountains" and isn't some kind of biome bug

2 hours ago, CairoJack said:

The plane needs to be manned ?

No

My entry
Total score 1=375-748/2
20170430233536_1.jpg

Edited by Numerlor

I may have misunderstood something, but in my head the scoring makes no sense:

A 100t plane with a top speed of 50m/s will have a score of -25.
A 5t plane with a top speed of 500m/s will have a score of 245.

Therefore the heavy plane will win by a lot.

Please tell me if I am wrong.

Edited by Flamingo

8 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

I may have misunderstood something, but in my head the scoring makes no sense:

A 100t plane with a top speed of 50m/s will have a score of -25.
A 5t plane with a top speed of 500m/s will have a score of 245.

Therefore the heavy plane will win by a lot.

Please tell me if I am wrong.

If it was in tons first plane would have score of 75 and -245 but it is in kg (specified now) Don't know how you got -25 and 245 (Seriously tell me because I'm in weekend mode and my math can be wrong too :D )

Edited by Numerlor

5 minutes ago, Numerlor said:

If it was in tons first plane would have score of 75 and -245 but it is in kg (specified now) Don't know how you got -25 and 245 (Seriously tell me because I'm in weekend mode and my math can be wrong too :D )

You aren't the one who is in weekend mode, I am. Sorry :blush:

Now that I have been corrected, I better come with an entry, so here I am.

This little plane has a top speed of 717m/s and I figured out that the battery is unnecessary, so if you remove it the dry mass is 0.377t or 377kg. As you can see its 5 mk0 parts.

It can land in the mountains, but I can not.

according to my calculations (hopefully correct this time) the score is 18.5 :D.

Edited by Flamingo

Here is the Draufgänger or Wolf - https://gyazo.com/4a7db0b8b9aeeacb049450747e240047 - stationed on the mountain, has a wet mas of 15 tonnes, and a dry mass of 12,360 - https://gyazo.com/e3671f771afcdbc7448f25d19bbe55ba

All at a cool top speed (in this run) of 703 m/s - https://gyazo.com/4aaf0978c05a5187931439a77716b009

Edited by KenjiKrafts

6 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

I figured out that the battery is unnecessary

For me battery/solar panel was necessary so I'll add one solar panel weight until you do video without one. Your power also dropped to 200 which could be 0 on only probe core

Here you have it @Numerlor. It's the engine that produces the energy needed, so as long as you don't turn it off completely, you'll have plenty of energy. 

And thank you for making me try again, this made me push my max speed up to 743m/s making the new score 5.5.

Edited by Flamingo
grammar

22 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

Here you have it @Numerlor . Its the engine that produces the energy needed, so as long as you don't turn it off completely, you'll have plenty of energy. 

And thank you for making me try again, this made me push my max speed up to 743m/s making the new score 5.5.

Now you didn't land on mountain or anything like that, I'll change your score to a bit lower one but for proper entry I need you to go around KSC and then land on mountain (or at least crash at reasonable speed if you can't land) in one run
It isn't fair to bend the rules for you

Edited by Numerlor

Well then just take me off board, the "plane" could go around the KSC with a battery without loosing any energy, because the engine creates so much electric power, so of course it can do it without a battery. It can also land as long as the engine is running just a little. Im not going to record again since it takes quite a while, and i entered thisbecause it is just a mini-challenge that can be done with quickly. So i am not going to spend any more time on it. But it is a fact that the plane works with 5 parts without any cheating, it can land whereever since it has VTOL capabilties, it has a top-speed of app. 743m/s.

377-743/2 equals 5.5, so thats the score if you are going to keep me on there. If not, then someone else may take my design and get themselves a score of 5.5 or below if you can push the speed up a bit higher.

Edited by Flamingo

10 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

377-743/2 equals 5.5, so thats the score if you are going to keep me on there. If not, then someone else may take my design and get themselves a score of 5.5 or below if you can push the speed up a bit higher.

Now I've noticed I wrote it must be capable, I'm going to change rules but this entry is kept

Since apparently it's required to be very explicit: THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY. It just merely shows the possible top speed for this 'plane', which is the stock lightest mk0 option and the most viable to get the best score with (with the Oscar-B tank it's the same weight, but due to shorter length and drag/body lift it makes the craft less controlable).

41 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

Speed can be pushed to 815m/s or so by setting SAS to prograde and skimming the ocean surface. So it's just a matter of who's willing to spend enough tries to record that and the mountain landing in a single run. I had one run but I fumbled the keys when it was already softly down and it scraped enough over the surface to blow up the engine... not going to try again.

Spoiler

SGbph1k.png

BUn6PZb.png

X7x1EIp.png

Btw, dry mass is 375kg.

Edited by swjr-swis
added disclaimer

12 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Speed can be pushed to 815m/s or so by setting SAS to prograde and skimming the ocean surface. So it's just a matter of who's willing to spend enough tries to record that and the mountain landing in a single run. I had one run but I fumbled the keys when it was already softly down and it scraped enough over the surface to blow up the engine... not going to try again.

Reveal hidden contents

SGbph1k.png

BUn6PZb.png

Well you take the -30.5 score then, fine with me. But @Numerlor might not approve this since you haven't got a video, because think of all the ways in wich you could be cheating...

:rolleyes:

Just now, Numerlor said:

@swjr-swis since rules were changed (before your entry) I can't take it. Landing wasn't intact and no pictures from loop.
And people, please stop with this "not going to try again" just to get me to approve it

I was not submitting an entry; I was answering Flamingo about the possible top speed.

I was going to submit an entry, but I have no idea how to score it. I assume I need Kerbal Engineer to get the dry weight and kg? oh well, had fun. 11 tons dry, 14t wet with a top speed of 1316 m/s

Well, it may not be a ringer for points, but it'll probably get a gold sticky star for cutest+tiniest little plane! Let's see... 145kg-(300m/s /2) = -5. I'll call it a go.

It uses a pair of spider engines for propulsion, weighing in at 40kg compared to the 250 of the juno. Also, there's no reaction wheel! It's all steered by the gimbal. The downside? It's a bit pokey, and man those spiders are a drag. Still, I think it will be hard to make a plane fly around through KSC and off to the mountains for less mass than this! Points-wise, a better combo of faster+lighter may well be possible with a twitch.