EVA Fine Controls

It seems silly to have fine precision for spacecraft RCS but not Kerbal RCS.  I know personally it is difficult for me to exactly zero my velocity relative to my spacecraft when doing EVAs for KAS work (or harvesting science from parts), something that has led to me carrying ladders around everywhere.

Do you really need 0 relative velocity? Wait,wait,wait i want to approach from the other side.. Do you really need to know your velocity? It is just another fear factor. 

I built an entire orbital module around Kerbin using KAS and KIS, and all you gotta do is concentrate on what you're doing, not at velocity time change and other stuff.

But i will help you! When exiting the vessel try to find the retrograde. (nav-ball ain't your friend anymore)  Then set the other vessel as your target. You will see the relative velocity. Then use your RCS to get 0 relative velocity.

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

Do you really need 0 relative velocity? Wait,wait,wait i want to approach from the other side.. Do you really need to know your velocity? It is just another fear factor. 

I say 'zero relative velocity' but what I mean is 'stationary with respect to my ship'.  When placing multiple parts it is frustrating to be floating around w/ respect to your ship, especially if you're near the max range of your box.  With multi-ton modules, having 3 or 4 kerbals floating around with some non-zero velocity is a pain in the behind.  Currently in stock there isn't much to do EVA, but if/when that gets changed the player should have some way of precise maneuvering.

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

Then use your RCS to get 0 relative velocity.

Therein lies the issue: the kerbal's RCS is too powerful, such that the shortest bursts still cause my velocity to overshoot the necessary correction (unless I'm KIS carrying something massive). Something that is mitigated with fine controls.

Try going Eva, then getting as close as you can to 0ms relative velocity to the ship with the kerbal, then switch to the ship, target the kerbal and use fine RCS controls to exactly 0 your relative velocity to the kerbal. Hope this helps. :)

Edited by MiffedStarfish

I support this, if only for the ease of getting pretty screenshots while maneuvering around a station. But I used to have KAS too, and getting any work done in orbit was an excercise in timing before the poor kerbal drifted out of range again. We have no way of anchoring ourselves to a module, so fine jetpack controls are the bare minimum to ask for.

When i do assemble something with KAS i store a small lader in the inventory. If the assembling is getting hard ,i attach one of these to the module and just do my stuff. And then afterwards i dissatach them  ,letting them drift away.

@MiffedStarfish That's a good workaround, but if you have multiple Kerbs on EVA that won't work.

29 minutes ago, cratercracker said:

When i do assemble something with KAS i store a small lader in the inventory. If the assembling is getting hard ,i attach one of these to the module and just do my stuff. And then afterwards i dissatach them  ,letting them drift away.

5 hours ago, natsirt721 said:

something that has led to me carrying ladders around everywhere

Yes, thats is what I said was the workaround. But, it is not the best strategy and fine controls would be quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Try @Virindi's continuation of this mod:

It enables EVA to be controllable with vessel's rotation/translation keys. Setting throttle is interpreted as tuning the power of EVA engines, i.e. making them as fine as possible.

Edited by Ser

1 hour ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I recall one of the Gemini astronauts saying how exhausting an early EVA was because there were no proper handholds at the time. Because of this and OP I will now design my craft with ladders in the appropriate locations.

Several of them in fact. I think it was 3 of the Gemini missions attempted a spacewalk where they had to move around back of the service module and failed.  It wasn't till a man named Buzz Aldrin, who had skills in deep sea diving, taught them how to do it that they succeeded.  This is also why there is a massive indoor pool at JSC.

Edited by Alshain

On 01.05.2017 at 9:09 PM, natsirt721 said:

I know personally it is difficult for me to exactly zero my velocity relative to my spacecraft when doing EVAs for KAS work (or harvesting science from parts)

By the way, I've used the EVA handrails exactly for that. And also they helped much when I was building a station of separate modules and needed to transfer kerbals between them saving propellant and my patience. Think something like that should be stock in addition to ladders.

Edited by Ser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.