Moving large fuel tanks across Moho?

So I'm trying to set up an interplanetary transport system between Kerbin and Moho, and my plan is to have a large tanker refuel the interplanetary ship at Moho. It requires 10,000 units of LiquidFuel to Low Moho orbit, so I'm using a large Mk3 fuel tank. My plan was to land the tanker near a mining base, and move it using a rover. The problem is, the tanker is so heavy, even when empty, that the rover can barely move, and goes at 0.5 m/s up slightly inclined hills on Moho.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could do this better?

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag6H0m7Hg8jmgrJ26CD_EbCQaWxvQA

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag6H0m7Hg8jmgrJ44EK5T1iLzQVsag

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ag6H0m7Hg8jmgrJ44EK5T1iLzQVsag

It sounds like you've already got your base set up, just wanted to show you what I like to use for dedicated mining/refueling. I wouldn't say one way is "better" than another (I think it just depends on how you like to play), but this method works really well for refueling large tankers. Just claw it, drop your drills, and start refueling. Much quicker than shuttling back and forth. I have a huge tanker it couples with, and it refuels fast.

screenshot237.png

This is Minmus obviously, but the concept works pretty much anywhere. I needed a more efficient system back when I needed to refuel everything before leaving Kerbin's SOI. Rather than bringing the tanker to me, I go to the tanker. Complete with an engineer on-board to facilitate better mining.

P.S. I like the underneath rover design. Using something similar for a different project.

Edited by Cpt Kerbalkrunch

On 5/1/2017 at 6:18 PM, xiej said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for how I could do this better?

Why not just land the tanker right next to the mining base so you don't have to schlep it long distances or up hills?

If you land it within a couple of dozen meters of the mining base, and don't mind installing a mod, KAS pipes & connector ports work great for this sort of thing; the tanker doesn't need wheels at all.

Alternatively, if you land it within a few hundred meters of the mining base, you could have a dedicated "fuel truck":  Orbital tanker has no wheels, it just lands and stays put.  Fuel truck is just a 16-ton or 32-ton LFO tank, sitting on some wheels, with appropriate connector ports.  Fuel truck fills up at the mining base, drives over to the tanker, dumps its load, then repeat as needed until the tanker is full.

I would like it to be able to cope with my bad landing skills, though. The fuel truck seems like a good idea, I didn't want to do it because I hate launching giant rockets (not like my interplanetary ship isn't huge),

What I've found seems to be much less hassle (although it does give up some efficiency) is to build a rocket with the mining and ISRU in it and a claw on the front.  It lands vertically, has no wheels.  Rendezvous is only in orbit where I don't have to worry about gravity.

I'm thinking about replacing the claw with docking ports so MechJeb can mate it with it's target, though.  MechJeb can't fly the claw.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.