How Were You First Introduced to KSP?

JYNg

It's been so long, I don't quite remember.   Think it was something like seeing a "hey check out this new game in the works!  It's like Orbiter, but stupider and way more fun!" post on a forum somewhere. 

I was introduced to KSP through a friend. After I tried the demo I was hooked. I have no idea where my friend came across KSP but then he plays practically everything. :) I first started playing back in version 0.80

in late 2015 I saw a KSP video by Scott Manley come up on my Youtube  suggested, watched it, and went searching. I found [Redacted due to rule 2.2a] 0.25, played for a over a year, realized new versions were much better, and [Redacted due to rule 2.2a] 1.1.3 . Then 1.2 came out, and I was unable to [Redacted due to rule 2.2a], so I bought it during the Christmas sale. (1.2.2 at that time.)

56 minutes ago, Brent Kerman said:

in late 2015 I saw a KSP video by Scott Manley come up on my Youtube  suggested, watched it, and went searching. I found [Redacted due to rule 2.2a] 0.25, played for a over a year, realized new versions were much better, and [Redacted due to rule 2.2a] 1.1.3 . Then 1.2 came out, and I was unable to [Redacted due to rule 2.2a], so I bought it during the Christmas sale. (1.2.2 at that time.)

Redacted eh?  Sounds like an ol' seadog's feeling a mite salty.

For my part, I'd heard of it (and Orbiter) in xkcd, the xkcd forums, and a few other places around the internet for a year or two back in 2013, but avoided like the plague as I was trying finish an engineering degree and knew a dangerous timesink when I saw one.  Later, in the summer of 2013, I came across a number of painfully silly KSP videos from Scott Manley, SWDennis, and Danny, and started rampaging through Scott's entire youtube history of KSP videos.  Interstellar Quest had me completely hooked, so I broke down and bought .18 in the Steam summer sale, and have been attmpting to balance playing it and a couple of other things ever since.

Edited by Archgeek
Forgot an entire word: "Like".

20 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

My son bought it. My wife saw him playing and told him, "Your dad would love this game." He bought for my Christmas present over 3 years ago. Best present ever.

Haha, same with me...my 9 year old son thought I would love this game and lo and behold...2 years later and I'm still hooked (now I'm messing around with warp drives and FTL beacons...legit via career mode once I finally earned my 10k sci points). :) 

Edited by Red Stapler

I was never introduced to it at all.

Frankly, I'm utterly confused by this place, and have no idea what you all are talking about.

(And yet, this thread seems sooooo very familiar.  As though I had seen it before, many times.)

8 hours ago, Archgeek said:

so I broke down and bought .18 in the Steam summer sale, and have been attmpting to balance playing it and a couple of other things ever since.

I like how you said attempting, as if there is still hope at the end of this addiction tunnel :D  We all know whatever comes after is just the will of the Kraken, not like we mere mortals have any power or choice over KSP anyway :sealed:

I was watching some of Robbaz's first KSP videos. Back in 2012/13. The game just looked so much like fun. Had to try the demo and shortly after got the full game. What happend after is mostly well documented on the internet. :D

For me, a friend was in a gaming clan that were using IRC to chat. I tended to hang around in there sometimes. (And eventually joined that clan myself)

They found the early KSP demo in 2011, and really enjoyed it, mainly because of Jeb I think, and were constantly talking about it.

I found it really difficult to find, back then 'KSP' on Google didn't bring up Kerbal Space Program in at least the first ten pages.

The sense of accomplishment when I eventually managed to get something into orbit for the very first time... knowing I could just leave it there and it would just stay in orbit...

I think I left it just running on my screen for a couple of hours while I did other stuff, having been on the ground, buildings around, and then having got up to have that view of Kerbin... it was beautiful.

At the time my knowledge of orbital mechanics extended to 'this end towards space', so my efforts to circularise my orbit were laughable. (Something along the lines of 'height going up, point down and fire engines, height going down, point up and fire engines')

It gave me the most wonderful tiny, tiny, little taste of what it was like to be an astronaut, and that was when I decided to buy the game, right there. I think I paid £8 for it? Certainly less than £10. Considering the enjoyment I've had from it, the interest in real space missions it inspired, and the knowledge I've gained due to it, it's one of the best decisions I ever made.

Well I was browsing steam, asked my dad, and he got it

Im so spoiled

But

I was browsing steam once and I saw Stranded Deep and I wanted it I asked my dad and he said get in orbit around the mun w/o Cheats to get it And it was hard :(

After seeing Nerdcubed's KSP video 'The Big Bang', I thought 'this is interesting, I'll remember KSP for later when I move off this craptop'. After I did move to a PC and playing some Civ V and Cities:Skylines, Steam decided to recommend it to me since it was a sim. At that point, I remembered my thought, did a Markiplier-esque 'SPAAAAAAACE' and never looked back. Turns out I can actually build some good rockets.

I've now clocked up 1,850 hours in 8 months. Please send help.

I saw this Markiplier video on kerbal space program, liked it, did some research (I typed in the youtube search bar "kerbal space program") and came across a video by the one and only Scott Manley called "Your Physics Have No Power Over Me!", I was hooked. The next day I thought I'd try the demo and the rest is history.

For me it was probably KurtJMac playing it on youtube, but honestly it's been so long I really couldn't tell you for sure. All I know for sure is that when I started playing KSP, the Mun didn't exist.

So..a long time ago...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.