How did you learn to play ksp?

Shadow Wolf56

I learned a lot of the basics from the twitch stream channel of DasValdez, the Kerbal Space Academy, and I picked up some advanced building techniques from the channel of EJ_SA. I can recomend both channels, to beginners and more advanced players as well.

I learned many many things from reading and participating in the forum here too,

Edited by Dafni

Stacks of trial and error to begin with. Seriously, pushing random buttons to see what happened. ("Ah ha! Spacebar makes the launch clamps fall off!"). Trial and error to a first suborbital hop ("...should I be getting reentry effects on the way up?") and trial and error to first orbit.

This was the point where the stupid space game I'd picked up for a distraction became a serious space game, and I picked up a textbook on orbital mechanics.

Orbital rendezvous followed, and then munshots.

Explosions followed.

This was the point where I went online and signed up for a distance learning course in undergraduate maths and astrophysics.

Mun landings followed.

Several years later, degree nearly done, I have still not sent a Kerbal to Duna and returned him safely to Kerbin.

I may have to study at postgraduate level for this...!

1. Play the game, keep failing

2. Watch Scott Manley

3. Play more, read articles on orbital mechanics

4. Research and install essential mods. watch a lot of youtubers for learning and new ideas

5. Play the game, get some hands-on experience using what you have learned (see above)

6. Enjoy!

Combination of youtube videos and screwing around till I figured it out myself. Can't really remember the exact ratio of screwing around to youtube videos.

Mostly self taught, although I did check on the forums for advice on how to orbital rendezvous before I attempted my first of those.

I've had a strong interest in spaceflight since I was a kid, so had a solid understanding of the basics.

For my first Munar landing I followed the approach of Apollo, first by sending a probe there to see what the surface was like. I then followed that with, with a trip to Mun orbit with a CSM, then tested rendezvous and docking of a LEM and CSM in Kerbin orbit, before finally sending my little guys off for a Mun landing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.