Tragic Kerbal Deaths

Ferdoni

Hello everyone!!

This morning a very sad accident occured. During an eva test on the launch pad, a kerbal fell of the stairs and exploded...

This gave me the question:

What is the most tragic kerbal death you caused?

my first tragic death was in career mode and I had gone to the tracking station.(I was a supernoob back then)

I then started my burn to land on mun and crashed into it. Val died, I quit the career and started a new one.

My most tragic though? I was doing a dres mission and my rocket smashed into dres thompberry with a stunning act of courage, jumped of the spacecraft. No piece of the rocket survived. Thompberry survived but as I was exploring, he fell off of a mountain.(that's sad cause I spent weeks for nothing on that mission) ;.;;.;;.;<His Brothers

Edited by Shadow Wolf56

Wrong staging on first career flight(Flea, command pod and chute) Staged flea and chute at the same time so I cut the chute, didn't realise it is my only one. Jeb had a bad time crashing into brand new VAB

mine was when my apollo 20 spacecraft (which i septic, can anyone tell me how to share it with the world?) wobbled so much that it burned up before even reaching 40,000m

okay! I have two!

both are early career mode, so I couldn't just buy or get another Kerbal, but I HAD Val, but I wouldn't have jeb, but...

the first one was a bit past early career mode, we were now in what is known as "toddler" career mode, where I had gotten into orbit, and a few probes were being planned, I had just sent a replacement for Jeb, who died crashing into the sea after attempting a "test blah blah part splashed down at blah blah blargh" contract, into orbit of Kerbin to do a science farming mission, doing EVA's on every biome on the equatorial plain of Kerbin, there's a TON, so you can get about maybe 50-80 science, and in early career, you all know that can help a TON, so of course I had to do it. the ascent went perfectly, the EVAs went perfectly, we got all the science, and we were returning home. I had been in the atmosphere for a bit, and I had [X]Science! installed, and I wanted to see if I had a crew report or temperature scan for upper atmosphere, and I saw EVA report, so I thought to myself, "hey! lets do an EVA! get that quick 8.7 sci!" that is what killed my Kerbal, for the EXACT second I clicked EVA, the atmosphere started to affect me to enough so it started the re-entry heating. so no science, and roast Kerbal mush for dinner

NOW I MUST DO THINGS! I'll tell the second tomorrow or whenever I feel like it

Edited by StupidAndy

Back in .90 I sent the original three on an intrepid mission to Eve. The landing was shaky but ultimately successful. I was aware that the gravity was extraordinary on the surface of Eve, but I didn't consider just how deadly it was to a Kerbal going on EVA. I didn't take into account the height of the landing legs and the ladder was a few meters too high. After surviving a heroic descent through Eve's fiery atmosphere, Bill died ignominiously having fallen off a ladder.

Edited by HvP

My first MK2 SSTO try... speedrun at 20km for mach 6,5 and used timespeed 2x... they poofed away... not a piece of debris was present only a cloud of slowly expanding fireflys....

Urses

6 minutes ago, SupperRobin6394 said:

I got a bit too enthusiastic in EVA with my jetpack on Minmus, slammed the poor fellah into a wall with 50m/s and he poof'd away.

I just did that to Val on Duna.

I also just killed all of the big four plus two random kerbals in a shuttle crash, I was trying to do S-turns to slow it's approach and the vehicle lost control and tumbled into the ground at super sonic speeds, less then a kilometer from the runway.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Well there's what I did two nights ago, I was driving a rover with three Kerbals in it on the Mün, started nodding off (I really need to learn when to go to bed), and opened my eyes just in time to see the rover fly off the edge of a crater rim.  It came down smashing the front first destroying the K&K Cupola on the front, and then flipping end over end until smashing the rest of itself into pieces.  I'm pretty liberal with reverts when driving rovers around, just because of how finicky they can be, so I ended up just reverting to a previous save (and going to bed), but it definitely was one heck of a way to see three Kerbals go.

Then there's the time I was flying a plane through a layer of clouds, and came out just in time to see a mountain right before burying myself into the side of it.

Or the time I tried to do an extreme EVA on Minmus and didn't quite make orbital velocity.  That one must have been particularly terrifying for that poor Kerbal.

Edited by Piper

4 hours ago, Piper said:

there's the time I was flying a plane through a layer of clouds, and came out just in time to see a mountain right before burying myself into the side of it.

wauw, really epic and tracic...

Well I hate losing Karbals. And that is why almost all my ships are packed with some emergency parachutes,escape systems and even auto landing systems.

But somewhere in the mountains,nothing can help you.

I had 6th KSC mountain expedition going,soft plane landing,rover deployed. But when I started to ascend,the wheels started to slip. I saved 2 kerbals,but one have fallen into the void.... I still don't know whether he is dead or not.

I remember a pretty tragic moment, I was flying a new State Of The Art experimental jet I had made, and while trying to land on the island base, I clipped a wing on the ATC and watched helplessly as the plane plummeted into the ground.

Oh wait, we can rebuild Jeb.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.