[1.3] Through the Eyes of a Kerbal (2.0.0.2, 2017/06/20)

Virindi

biHqC0a.png

Demo video of less glitchy first person walking:

Spoiler

Floating (EVA) mode free controls demo video:

Spoiler

This mod allows you to control EVA from the perspective of a kerbal. To enter first person mode, press the 'c' key.

Additionally, you can disallow external view of both kerbals and regular vessels in the config file.

Requirements:

None.

Download/Source:

https://github.com/Virindi-AC/Through-The-Eyes/releases

Changelog:

-Update for KSP 1.3.

-Oops, found a problem with switching kerbals 5 minutes after releasing. Fixed this.

-A ton of work on making walking, running and swimming more smooth.
-Reset kerbal's view using the 'v' key when in FP mode.
-Free rotation and translation added to floating EVA mode. Controls match those used for a vessel. Defaults: ad=yaw, qe=roll, ws=pitch, jl=translate left/right, ik=translate up/down, hn=translate forward/back. A stabilization-mode sas is available.
-"Fine controls" for RCS packs is by throttle controls while in FP mode. The more throttle, the more pack power. More or less fuel is used as appropriate.
-Some fixes to stock glitchy behavior for walking kerbals in low-g; prevent getting stuck trying to land on a steep slope, allow the player to break out of a running bound (especially useful for Gilly and Pol). These fixes apply both in first and third person mode.
-Display the name of the kerbal when switching inside IVA.
-Navball now functions normally in FP mode, referenced to the kerbal.

License: GNU GPL v3

This mod is a continuation of the work of: @Chronothan, @Ser.

Edited by Virindi

@Virindi, you said:

Could you explain exactly what you mean by mouse running? Because different control methods are not ruled out by the way KerbalEVA has been overridden...we could basically do whatever we want, including different modes. FPS style mouselook+turn is quite possible.

In my version it was possible to control direction of walking/running with mouse. That's the most precise way but caused glitches. You preferred the mouse look while running leaving direction control for keyboard only, which is very imprecise method because of direction jumping 20 degrees on keypress, and that's made inconvenient e.g. running down the launch pad ramp. That's why I had an idea to alter turn rate depending on standing/walking/running to have some option to specify direction more precisely. Actually, we need three mouse modes:

1. free mouse to move the pointer and click e.g. hatches and Part Commander buttons from 1st person view.
  2. mouse look
  3. mouse direction

The 1st is inevitable. Another mode could be activated with holding the right mouse button, the trouble is that only one mode can be activated with RMB. So, looking at common FPS games control method, I'd prefer turning with RMB pressed and looking around with some additional key, say Alt because you basically need to look ahead of you when running. When standing RMB could activate looking around without Alt pressed, and that will match stock 3rd person control method, thus feel natural for KSP player.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Virindi:

Are you still looking over this?

I have the problem when in first person view and want to grab a ladder* the Kerbal is not holding tight to that position but moving "downwards" (from first person view) like climbing down that ladder until it ends and then the Kerbal floats in space again.

*using that mod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 6:36 PM, Gordon Dry said:

I have the problem when in first person view and want to grab a ladder* the Kerbal is not holding tight to that position but moving "downwards" (from first person view) like climbing down that ladder until it ends and then the Kerbal floats in space again.

That sounds like a KSP bug

Regarding the mod, I've tried to contact @Virindi and haven't heard back.

So, I'll be putting this onto my list of mods to do a recompile for 1.3.1, and eventually adopt it if he doesn't come back

Totally unofficial release for KSP 1.3.1 available here:  https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/Through-The-Eyes/releases/tag/2.0.0.3

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 months later...

Welcome to the forums @ngx

As it happens, this version of the mod looks to be abandoned by its author.  It's been taken up by a very active KSP modder over here:

Make sure you try the version over there first.  If it's still a problem, there's a few simple things that can help the bug-reporting process here:

6 hours ago, fourfa said:

Make sure you try the version over there first.  If it's still a problem, there's a few simple things that can help

Thanx for your answer fourfa, I was testing linuxgurugamer's 2.0.0.3, seems it solves only the problem with the ladder. I'll try official bug reporting as you adviced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.