[1.12] The Bolt-On Mission Probe (BOMP) ReRevival thread

This is a continuing revivial of the old BOMPs thread.  The mod was originally made by @Ted, and revived by @jinks for 0.90, original thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/70837-0900-the-bolt-on-mission-probe-bomp-revival-thread/

I now present to you BOMPs for the modern age

What the heck are BOMPs?

Bolt-On Mission Probes are unmanned command modules or probe cores. They have been created by Ted in a time when the currently available probe cores didn't yet exist.

Since then they have kind of fallen by the wayside. Ted is certainly occupied with his job as QA Lead at Squad and when stock probe cores were added, BOMPs weren't needed so sorely any more.

When partconfigs got updated, KSP gained features and the landscape changed, BOMPs stopped working.

The stats are pretty much in line with the stock probe cores.

Why would I use a BOMP instead of a standard probe core?

• You remember them from when they were the only option and are a bit nostalgic.
  • You think they are prettier than the standard probe cores. (Hint: They are!)
  • You need a 3.75m stack probe core.
  • You just feel like it.

Where can I get my very own set of BOMPs?

Download the latest release over at

What does a BOMP look like?

j7xFc1e.png

From left to right: BOMP-XL (3.75m), BOMP-L (2.5m), BOMP-Mini (1.25m), BOMP-Nano (0.625m).

Enjoy!

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Quick note: The config for the BOMP-L makes it a probe control point - not a probe itself.  :wink:

(Been looking for an excuse to use these, but so far that's been the size I've been needing.)

Thanks, I'll take a look at it

• 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

They don't show in career mode with CTT- possibly due to a bad TechRequired entry 

Ummm, care to say which is the bad entry?

I never tested this with CTT

And do they show up in stock career?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

They don't show in career mode with CTT- possibly due to a bad TechRequired entry 

I just checked all of them, they are using standard TechRequired nodes

And, I just checked with CTT installed, and they are all in their proper places in the tree.  Install QuickSearch, and then search for "bomp" in the R&D center, you will see three nodes turn red, that is where the BOMPs are.:

• Unmanned Tech - BOMP-Nano, BOMP-Micro
  • Advanced Unmanned Tech - BOMP-Mini
  • Large Probes - BOMP-L, BOMP-XL

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 2:21 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.0.1.4

• Updated descriptions

It might be just me but does this updated descriptions change the name of the BOMP-XL as it is no longer visible in my parts list, nor in R&D? This has made several of my ships disappear of course.

;.;

1 hour ago, Spoonifer said:

It might be just me but does this updated descriptions change the name of the BOMP-XL as it is no longer visible in my parts list, nor in R&D? This has made several of my ships disappear of course.

;.;

Turned out it was the update. I reverted to the previous version and the XL appeared. I removed any other recently installed add-ons to see if there were any clashes but that didn't seem to do anything.

3 hours ago, Spoonifer said:

;.;

1 hour ago, Spoonifer said:

Turned out it was the update. I reverted to the previous version and the XL appeared. I removed any other recently installed add-ons to see if there were any clashes but that didn't seem to do anything.

Hmmm.  It shouldn't have, but I'll take a look and fix it if necessary

New release, 1.0.1.5

• Fixed typo which prevented the BOMPXL from being loaded

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.