If you have Kerbal on steam, and you want mods, Heres how to get them.

ccoel

(WORKS FOR PC AND MAC)    (Does not work if you don't have Steam!)

1. Download the folder. If you are reading this right now, go to Get mods up at the top, then choose the mod you want and press download. Make Sure you aren't downloading stuff from ads!

2. Drag the folder from your downloads to your desktop. (If you're on PC, Just open your Downloads folder.)

3. Extract the folder (if you're on Mac you can just right click the folder in your desktop and click open, If you're on PC, You don't have to do this, Just open up the folder.)

4. Now, Open Steam, right click on Kerbal Space Program and click properties.

5. Up at the top go to Local Files, then press Browse Local Files, then take the GameData Folder from the mod folder, (If on Mac, Rename it to whatever you want) then Drag it into Kerbal Space Programs GameData Folder, Open up the Mod GameData Folder and if there are any folders named after other folders in the KSP Folder Outside of the original GameData Folder, Drag it into the appropriate folder,Then you are Done!

Psst, You, Yes You. For More Helpful Mod tips click my name, Follow me, feel free to tell me how to insert screenshots into posts, and post any questions in my feed. Thanks.

Edited by ccoel

4 hours ago, ccoel said:

Open up the Mod GameData Folder and if there are any folders named after other folders in the KSP Folder Outside of the original GameData Folder, Drag it into the appropriate folder, Then you are Done!

Sorry to have to contradict you but some of your advice is outdated at best and completely wrong at worst

Under no circumstances should you on either steam or store bought versions remove folders from a mod and place them in any other location .In both versions Steam and store bought the installation of mods is exactly the same, although admittedly you have to browse through the steam folders to get to KSP/GameData

The only correct filepath for 99% of mods is without exception

KSP/GameData/TheMOD/themodsfloders/

It Should never be

KSP/GameData/GameData/TheMod

Which if players follow your advice is the likely result, and it's almost 100% that moving folders out of a mod to other locations will break the mods functions in some way and possibly your crash  game

The folders outside of the KSP/GameData folder (these are Kerbal Space Program/Parts, /Internals, etc..., they are all empty for a reason) are obsolete and no new mods should be placed in them. For some reason they have been left in place from the time, several years ago, when they were actually used. But they should never be used for mods today (if you can find a 3 year old mod that still works on the current version of KSP I would love to see it).

Many mods are absolutely dependent on specific files being in specific locations, moving folders around is guaranteed to break those mods. Anecdotal evidence to the contrary doesn't mean anything other than that you have found a few mods that don't break when their folders or moved, or that some of them are broken, but you just aren't aware of it.

Also, anyone looking for KSP mods would be better off searching through SpaceDock, it has considerably more mods, and more of them are up to date (SpaceDock only started about 1 year ago, so basically anything there is compatible with KSP 1.0 - 1.2.2, whereas Curse has had more time to acquire dead mods).

12 hours ago, ccoel said:

Lets see if this 'outdated folders' propaganda is true

launching ksp, cya in a few hours

It is very much recommended that you put any mods into the GameData directory as explained above. Distributing mod files around the old legacy folders may or may not work, but Squad have deprecated them and modders most likely will not support this.

Aside from what is discussed abive, it's really a good idea to make a cooy of the KSP folder from Steam (placevit for instance in Documents, or on your desktop) and install the mods in there.

Having your "modded" version isolated from Steam will prevent drama when the update comes along.

OP, some pictures would really, really be useful.

Then i would suggest getting CKAN. use that to install a few mods, browse the folders and see what is the correct way of adding mods

6 hours ago, technicalfool said:

It is very much recommended that you put any mods into the GameData directory as explained above. Distributing mod files around the old legacy folders may or may not work, but Squad have deprecated them and modders most likely will not support this.

its always worked for me. yesterday a mod was lagging so much and the parts were in he parts folder and I took all but one out for no more lag Guess what? they are all but the one gone.

So, Im right.

Now, Not to say your not right, BUT they don't see depreciated

seem*

5 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

OP, some pictures would really, really be useful.

Then i would suggest getting CKAN. use that to install a few mods, browse the folders and see what is the correct way of adding mods

Also if your talking to me, I tried, I can't insert screenshots.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:50 AM, ccoel said:

feel free to tell me how to insert screenshots into posts

Upload them elsewhere and paste their url into your post here.  I use imgur.com for my screenshot needs.

These instructions would not work for my mod. I do not package a GameData folder, and I don't think my mod will work if you install it outside of GameData.

Also you have about 7 discrete steps within #5. Personally I find it easiest to follow instructions if each number in the list corresponds to one simple step that you have to take. This is especially helpful if you're following along and have to pause and come back to the list, since you can note, "I was on step 8" instead of "I was about a third of the way through step 4." This is a constant irritant for me with packaged food instructions:

pgBjg5w.jpg

Step 2:

1. Cover skillet with lid
  2. Set stove to high heat
  3. Cook 4 minutes
  4. Reduce to medium-high heat
  5. Cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally
  6. Make sure temperature is 165°F
  7. Toss
  8. Serve

7 hours ago, ccoel said:

So, Im right.

Now, Not to say your not right, BUT they don't see depreciated

seem*

3 Things:
* technicalfool, having that lil' <SQUAD staff> under his avatar, is somewhat more qualified than you on such matters as the KSP directory structure.
* The only correct way to install mods (and get support from the mod author if bugs are found) is to follow the mod authors instructions. Failure to do so wastes everyones time troubleshooting needless (mis)installation issues.
* We already have a thread like this, and it's much, much better:

Has pictures, doesn't suggest installing stuff in non-standard deprecated directories, doesn't argue with staff and modders. Only flaw is an outdated KerbalStuff link. Win.
If you are angling for an updated version of that, cool. But I suggest you heed accepted wisdom. Check out a few threads in add-on releases, and you will see nobody at all suggesting putting mods in deprecated directories. 

Edited by steve_v

Well, then. Waltzing in, espousing loads of faulty information and openly arguing with highly experienced mods. That's one way to get yourself known. You might want to rethink your approach. "Edgy" isn't working.

7 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

These instructions would not work for my mod. I do not package a GameData folder, and I don't think my mod will work if you install it outside of GameData.

Also you have about 7 discrete steps within #5. Personally I find it easiest to follow instructions if each number in the list corresponds to one simple step that you have to take. This is especially helpful if you're following along and have to pause and come back to the list, since you can note, "I was on step 8" instead of "I was about a third of the way through step 4." This is a constant irritant for me with packaged food instructions:

pgBjg5w.jpg

Step 2:

1. Cover skillet with lid
  2. Set stove to high heat
  3. Cook 4 minutes
  4. Reduce to medium-high heat
  5. Cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally
  6. Make sure temperature is 165°F
  7. Toss
  8. Serve

Four steps. Cooking a prepackaged meal isn't rocket science. If you need more steps than that, there's a problem.

Since hours have passed without showing any proof to the contrary, seems more than possible truth has emerged to demonstrate add-ons installed in an obsolete way don't necessarily work. Whatever the result, however, spreading invalid information with the only possible result to create confusion in less expert KSP users isn't allowed.

Have to thank all the many who have posted above showing how to correctly install and what could result from use of deprecated folders.

In the interest of new KSP users, who may search for advice with installing add-ons, I'd rather point to the KSP wiki page than letting this thread around any further to receive more attention than it deserves. Thread locked for now; would hide if not for the many good replies it summoned.