KSP Challenge: Landing like Elon does!

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

No landing gear? Alright, i'll pretend to be smart.

"Retro"-fully reusable SSTO!

z4H6izV.png CkbGzdI.png

ytge5QP.png O5jBl4p.png

EzvdnxB.png

Landing on airbreaks is tough through...

Beautifull screenshots! :o

2.5 Pod Lander Test.

KKSbZvk.png

Re-entry

gRxLPNi.jpg

Atmospheric Breaking

CP6VLr7.jpg

Engage Thrusters.

6wBAxHf.jpg

All Horizontal velocity lost.

VYdGCis.jpg

Down and safe.

5f9LwcV.jpg

As it happens, I hardly ever use landing struts since auto-strut.

Edited by Daveroski
Problems with imgur.

4 hours ago, cratercracker said:

"Retro"-fully reusable SSTO!

You inspired me to try again and take this a little more seriously:

KOXp7Us.jpg

On reentry I dumped the delta wings to make the ship more manageable, so not entirely fully reusable..

oLg2gqj.jpg

47 minutes ago, sawchuk1 said:

How do I transfer my in game screen shots to here? Thanks I'm Mr noob

No worries, we were all new once.  :)

1. Take a screenshot in-game via F1.
  2. Go to http://www.imgur.com.  (You don't have to have an account or anything, it allows posting anonymously.)
  3. Click the green "new post" button at top left.
  4. Drag your screenshot file from your "Screenshots" folder into the "drop things here" box that you get on imgur.
  5. Wait a few moments until imgur puts up your page with the image on it.
  6. Right-click on the image on imgur, and choose "Copy Image Location".
  7. Come here to your forum post and paste that URL into your forum message.  It will get automagically transformed into an in-line image.

23 hours ago, Badie said:

You must orbit and land under rocket power only ! 

9 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

Awaiting a bit of clarification. If chutes are OK, I can dig out my workhorse from an old save, but it makes no sense to me.

Chutes are not ok. Elon does not use chutes :) 

Read the challenge, thought intetesting. Read the rules and thought 'Erm what?'

What to orbit and what to land on? Does it have to be Kerbin? What about Minmus? Gilly? Maybe Jool?

No landing legs? Well, wheels are ok then? What about chutes?

What is rocket power? An engine running at 1%? Or does it have to be at full power?

I mean, so far, I could take a spaceplane from the K-Prize and it would be a totally valid entry.

2 hours ago, sawchuk1 said:

How do I transfer my in game screen shots to here? Thanks I'm Mr noob

Welcome to the forums! You can upload them to imgur, that is what I do. Imgur pictures embed easily, so they are easy to use. Copy the direct link. If you need more help, ask someone else, (sorry) as I am not the best at explaining and still somewhat a noob myself

1 minute ago, something said:

Read the challenge, thought intetesting. Read the rules and thought 'Erm what?'

What to orbit and what to land on? Does it have to be Kerbin? What about Minmus? Gilly? Maybe Jool?

No landing legs? Well, wheels are ok then? What about chutes?

What is rocket power? An engine running at 1%? Or does it have to be at full power?

I mean, so far, I could take a spaceplane from the K-Prize and it would be a totally valid entry.

Doesn't matter what thrust the rocket is on, but you are not allowed to use anything other than rockets. So no chutes, and I think no jets.

2 hours ago, Marschig said:

Your ship can start and orbit without wings, it can be fully reusable.

Interesting. Flies straight as an arrow without wings. Got so used to tumbling rockets at abt 12k that I just auto attach fins. Thanks.

No mods!? :0.0: *Screams in mock horror*

EDIT:

What about Ven's Stock Revamp? I have it installed, and if I uninstall... well... all of my current ships will say goodbye, and leap into the jaws of the Kraken.

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

10 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

No mods!? :0.0: *Screams in mock horror*

EDIT:

What about Ven's Stock Revamp? I have it installed, and if I uninstall... well... all of my current ships will say goodbye, and leap into the jaws of the Kraken.

Just download a vanilla install from the store/backup your steam files and redownload a vanilla KSP.

Use the vanilla directory to participate in the challenge, use your modded directory to play how you want.

Win/Win.

My Mainsail 9, nothing special but works great, powerd by 9 mainsails obviously, and that it was launched dozens of times in an active career :)

https://imgur.com/a/B5CFU

On 5/4/2017 at 10:13 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

Umm... what if I just load up any rocket, stage, then tap z and x in quick succession? Challenge completed.

You mean like the Mercury-Redstone 1 launch test?

(If you can find a copy of We Seven, essays by the original Mercury program astronauts, be sure to read John Glenn's explanation of exactly what went wrong during this test. It's hilarious and oh so very Kerbal.)

On 5/4/2017 at 11:58 PM, Badie said:

You must orbit and land under rocket power only (no lander legs, no mods).Bonus points for landing only using SRB's. Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! This challenge we have a special badge for the participants! 

I actually have a whole range of rockets with this capability. Introducing the Kermit 3 family:

(P/S: I've just realised the rule says under rocket power only after I've posted this. I guess this means this craft doesn't count.)

NZFAzKN.png

uJT5qQO.png

... and even this. :P

k7xngNR.png

These orange first stages were designed to return back to Kerbin after achieving orbit. Reason for doing so? I was trying to be frugal in career mode and was inspired to emulate SpaceX. 

rUwXO2U.png

0m3t5wE.png

Usually I'll leave about 250 units of fuel (200 units if I'm feeling lucky) for deorbit burn. The landing burn is necessary as even with parachutes the craft still comes down at about 10 m/s. Slowly does it...

JJOGRTN.png

... and it has to be a slope. Oh well, perhaps I'll make another attempt at an upright landing when I feel like it. :P

XToD2WQ.png

Edited by JYNg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.