[1.2.2] Quarter Sized Real Solar System (2.5x Stock Scale) Version 1.0

pap1723

Quarter Size Real Solar System (2.5x Kerbin scale)

Quarter Size RSS is a mod that uses the great work from @NathanKell and creates our Real Solar System in a smaller scale in KSP. At 1/4 the size of the Real Solar System, it is still 2.5 times larger than stock KSP and provides a huge challenge to players, but can be achieved with stock parts. It has been figured out by many people the 2.5x scale is the proper scale for KSP. With the way the engines and masses are configured, "realistically" sized rockets would exist in a 2.5x stock scale. Thus I present you with Quarter Size RSS.

I am hoping that this is a good balance between stock sizes, Half Size RSS and full size RSS. You can play this with Stock Parts, but it will be best with some of the superb mods listed below.

SPECIAL THANKS:

• @NathanKell and the entire Real Solar System group for creating almost everything that is released in this mod
  • @CaptRobau for letting me use his planets Thatmo and Slate from the Outer Planets mod as two of the Dwarf Planets that we know almost nothing about
  • @OhioBob for creating the atmospheres that are present in the mod
  • The entire Kopernicus team for creating the mod that makes this all possible! @Thomas P. @NathanKell @KillAshley @Teknoman117, Bryce Schroeder
  • @ImkSushi and @pozine for their work on Real Solar System Expanded that provided Ceres and Vesta

DOWNLOAD:

GITHUB: https://github.com/pap1723/Quarter-RSS/releases/

SPACEDOCK: Soon™

https://github.com/pap1723/ScaledRSS-Textures/releases - These are the textures that are necessary to download

Included in the download:

INSTALLATION:

Extract to KSP/GameData. You should have one dll (Module Manager) in the root of GameData, and three new folders: QuarterRSS, Kopernicus and ModuleFlightIntegrator. However, you are NOT DONE YET!!

TEXTURE INSTALLATION:

Now, you must select a texture resolution. Download a pre-made pack (8192, 4096, or 2048) and then, if desired, selectively replace with different-resolution texutres. Note that 8192 is dangerous: you will almost assuredly run out of memory on 32-bit versions of the game.

You can get the textures from: https://github.com/pap1723/ScaledRSS-Textures/releases
Go to the releases page and grab one of the resolution packs, then (optionally) get replacements from the repo itself. The path of the folder will be KSP/GameData/RSS-Textures Make sure you download from here and not the other RSS versions. There are additional biomes as well as additional planets that are included with the ScaledRSS Textures.

RECOMMENDED MODS:

These mods are highly recommended as their sizes work perfectly with a 2.5x scale of stock. You should not need to make any adjustments to the values of any of the parts to be able to get them to function exactly how you want them to.

These are my other mods, so I will always recommend them as well:

License: CC-BY-NC-SA

Edited by pap1723

51 minutes ago, pap1723 said:

At 1/4 the size of the Real Solar System, it is still 2.5 times larger than stock KSP and provides a huge challenge to players, but can be achieved with stock parts.

The perfect planet pack has finally been achieved! Congratulations! and many thanks!

A lot of fun, quick tour of the Saturn system...

I might have used cheats to get the LK / Blok-D in orbit, but landing was very smooth and nicely balanced.

SC0qYiI.jpg On Rhea.
DwUEV9R.jpg Huygens descent.
zFp0NfT.png 
FQi4N1j.png Nice view from here on Titan.
togrI27.png Now is not the time, Jeb.
sXgEH39.png

Couple of thoughts? Gameplay wise:

• Time-warp around Titan was unusually limited for me, even above the atmosphere. Not an easy problem to solve with lower gravity + atmosphere, but worth some consideration maybe? It took a very very long time to land.
  • Titan seems to have lakes all around its equator, very pretty view, but it's not correct right?

Enough Titan-bashing, great work @pap1723!

10 minutes ago, Beale said:

• Time-warp around Titan was unusually limited for me, even above the atmosphere. Not an easy problem to solve with lower gravity + atmosphere, but worth some consideration maybe? It took a very very long time to land.
  • Titan seems to have lakes all around its equator, very pretty view, but it's not correct right?

Thanks @Beale!

I don't think I have landed on Titan yet, so I will check that issue. I will double check the time warp rates as well. I have had similar long time warps while in Venus atmosphere, that is why I use 

8 hours ago, SkyKaptn said:

Has the atmo, solar curves and antennae ranges been tweaked accordingly?

8 hours ago, pap1723 said:

Yes they have been

What about proper orbital periods and orbital resonances recalculation? Or it's just all sizes and distances divided by factor of 2.5? :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, ZobrAA said:

What about proper orbital periods and orbital resonances recalculation? Or it's just all sizes and distances divided by factor of 2.5? :rolleyes:

Basically it is all sizes and distances multiplied by 25% to get the proper values.

1 hour ago, pap1723 said:

Basically it is all sizes and distances multiplied by 25% to get the proper values.

Hm, the numbers converges :funds::) at least for that corrected sun mass :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Orbital periods will change by the square root of the rescale factor.  In this case, SQRT(0.25) = 0.5, so that means all the orbital periods should be one-half what they are in RSS.  However, that's only true if you measure the periods in units like seconds, minutes, or hours.  If you measure the periods in days, then that will depend on how long the day is.  In QSRSS the Earth day is 6-hours long.  Therefore we have orbital periods that are half as long, measured in days that are one-fourth as long.  This means orbital periods will be twice what they are in RSS when measured in days.

Edited by OhioBob

On 2017/5/5 at 4:49 AM, Beale said:

A lot of fun, quick tour of the Saturn system...

I might have used cheats to get the LK / Blok-D in orbit, but landing was very smooth and nicely balanced.

SC0qYiI.jpg On Rhea.
DwUEV9R.jpg Huygens descent.
zFp0NfT.png 
FQi4N1j.png Nice view from here on Titan.
togrI27.png Now is not the time, Jeb.
sXgEH39.png

Same problem about time-warp on earth.

Awesome mod! been having plenty of fun with this, but I had noticed I get a lag spike / graphics spike (?) when orbiting Phobos... the rock is almost warping when I look at it lol

Great mod! Replaced RSS at the first time.

Can't see Mars from earth orbit useing telescope from Tarsier Space Technology with Galaxies mod. Moon is ok, no problem in RSS.

Edited by QiJian

My implementation has the moon on an equatorial 0 degree inclination. Going todo a reinstall and see if it goes away. Unless that's just the way it is at the moment.

EDIT:  It was my own issue - rebuilding my install corrected the inclination back to normal.

EDIT2: I would really like to get RSS extended working with this mod.

Edited by Wallygator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.