[1.12.x] CorrectCoL - Stock Aerodynamics Design Aid Continued

AFAIK it works fine. I did get a nullref flood once but that was when I was experimenting with wing config files ("what happens if I remove/change this value?") for educational purposes so I'm guessing that was on me. ;)

I'm guessing that by "update" Mathrilord means the version number in the topic title. Though since it's a single word comment it's hard to be sure..

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/5/2017 at 9:31 PM, Skalou said:

I think this mod is touching the COL marker ( the blue ball), for example it takes care of the structural pannel as shown in the 1st post but it changes also the alpha-zero from the stock 1° to 3° in the SPH, doesnt changez in the VAB (vertical down),

Reading thru this, what does alpha-zero mean? 

• 1 month later...

This mod has worked wonders for my spaceplane game. It turned a massive spaceplane from something that would flat spin with nearly any input past a few degrees into a rock-solid monster that is VERY forgiving and will manage to recover itself from most spins/stalls. It's amazing.

I have two feature suggestions for this, if you're accepting features:

- First, sliders for altitude and speed in the VAB (and ones that will modify the graph while you're still moving the slider if possible.) It'd make it easier to see how my plane will act at various input levels.

- Second, an in-flight mode that will show the graphs in the current situation. Probably less important, but it'd be neat. :V

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 1:09 PM, etmoonshade said:

This mod has worked wonders for my spaceplane game. It turned a massive spaceplane from something that would flat spin with nearly any input past a few degrees into a rock-solid monster that is VERY forgiving and will manage to recover itself from most spins/stalls. It's amazing.

I have two feature suggestions for this, if you're accepting features:

- First, sliders for altitude and speed in the VAB (and ones that will modify the graph while you're still moving the slider if possible.) It'd make it easier to see how my plane will act at various input levels.

- Second, an in-flight mode that will show the graphs in the current situation. Probably less important, but it'd be neat. :V

It's not updated for 1.10.1 quite yet, but I recommend Kerbal Wind Tunnel for that information. :)

49 minutes ago, theonegalen said:

It's not updated for 1.10.1 quite yet, but I recommend Kerbal Wind Tunnel for that information. :)

It's funny you should mention that - I actually commented on that thread, stating that it wouldn't run at all for me on 1.10.1. I know Booots is apparently in the process of doing an update though...

Edit: heh, in fact, right before the comment you quoted.

Edited by etmoonshade

• 1 month later...

Hello

I have an issue on 1.9.1. here are 3 set of pics from the same aircraft static stability analysis in KSP 1.8.1 and KSP 1.9.1

It is strictly the same aircraft I saved in both games

We have the same entries in speed and altitudes but the curves are completely different

Here speed 150 Altitude 150: Up is KSP 1.8.1 Pic and down KSP 1.9.1 Pic

npTcQ0t.jpg

upDZZR5.jpg

Same pic at speed 1000 and Alt 15000

HOPUnyB.jpg

NwBjUoW.jpg

and now speed 2000 and alt 45000

BfASs3S.jpg

30HfT44.jpg

It is the same different pictures in the whole flight enveloppe....I don't understand this, but it looks like CorrectCol for 1.9.1 is wrong

I have been using it a long time in 1.8.1 and it was very helpfull

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 10:40 AM, gilflo said:

I don't understand this, but it looks like CorrectCol for 1.9.1 is wrong

I, too, am wondering why I can't make sense of the graphs.  I haven't compared with 1.9.x or earlier, but am wondering if the Torque vs AoA are reversed somehow.

Is the right hand side positive AoA, left side negative AoA?  I think it's a fair assumption that up is upward torque.

What I see is the  green and yellow lines start from the top left and slope down to the bottom right on what seems like a generally well balanced craft.  To me, it appears the upward torque is on negative AoA, going to downward torque on positive Aoa, which is the opposite of reality.   I suppose you could argue that's the torque you'd have to apply to keep it level.

The blue vertical line seems to be representative of the AoA for level flight, ie left negative AoA, right positive AoA.  Also the stability reports still seem accurate.  The blue Lift-Drag ratio plot seems to be about right too, passing through 0 slightly left of the vertical level flight line, which would be a moderately negative AoA on the spaceplane I'm working on.

I suggest a label at each end of the axes would be helpful.  (ie '-AoA', '+AoA', 'up/+L-D', 'down/-L-D')

Regardless, having sat and thought this through helps me comprehend what's now displayed,  I'd been wondering why it made no sense compared to previously.

Another interesting tidbit I hadn't appreciated - I don't know if this has changed from previously as I'd never tried - when a backward facing part is selected as root, the green & yellow plots get mirrored to the side I'd expect.  Perhaps this is just this craft, the backward part in this case is a long mk2-mk1 adapter tank.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

right I have found an issue: on high part count ships turning on the stocklike CoL indicator from this mod causes the game to slow to a crawl, I think the indicator attempting to simulate areo forces on the entire vehicle the entire time, every frame update. For reference the game does in fact slow down a bit when I start flying with the said SSTO that causes this, so it is not the mod iself technically but my SSTO being that massive.

So a suggestion is that have a manual update button where I can press to update the CoL indicator manually instead of having it constantly updating all the time.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:42 PM, howardxu23 said:

right I have found an issue: on high part count ships turning on the stocklike CoL indicator from this mod causes the game to slow to a crawl, I think the indicator attempting to simulate areo forces on the entire vehicle the entire time, every frame update. For reference the game does in fact slow down a bit when I start flying with the said SSTO that causes this, so it is not the mod iself technically but my SSTO being that massive.

So a suggestion is that have a manual update button where I can press to update the CoL indicator manually instead of having it constantly updating all the time.

How big is the vessel, and would you mind making it available for testing?

On 3/1/2022 at 1:25 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

How big is the vessel, and would you mind making it available for testing?

420 parts, so it is a large boi
and here is the file: heavy transporter

edit: actually I think I found the core issue, I just removed the NERV nuclear engines for testing, and for whatever reason the framerate shot back up immediatly

Edited by howardxu23

23 hours ago, howardxu23 said:

420 parts, so it is a large boi
and here is the file: heavy transporter

edit: actually I think I found the core issue, I just removed the NERV nuclear engines for testing, and for whatever reason the framerate shot back up immediatly

If you put the engines back, see if you can duplicate the issue then check the log file and you may well find 'whatever reason' it happens.

1 hour ago, Starwaster said:

If you put the engines back, see if you can duplicate the issue then check the log file and you may well find 'whatever reason' it happens.

yup, putting the nuclear engines back immediately makes the game excrements itself if the indicator is on

ah yes nearly forget about the log file

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Log file or no support 

here it is, baiscally loaded the offending ssto, removed the NERV, and then replaced them while the areodynamic indicator is on:

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

14 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

Welcome to the forum, @howardxu23. Unfortunately, while logs are often needed to diagnose problems, they are also often too large to post here. Please host yours on a file sharing site and copy their link into your post here. 

I see, my bad.

@linuxgurugamer here is the log file link this time then: https://www.dropbox.com/s/txtmll99bvzm89e/KSP.log?dl=0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.