IVAs Outside of Parts

jtfroh

First time posting on the forums, so please let me know if I've something wrong.

I am working on a concept for a mod, and I wanted to know if it's possible for IVAs to extend outside of the model of a part. One of the main parts of my mod is a habitat based on a real life Mars colony concept, and the real life building is inset into the ground. I know parts themselves can't go under the surface, or they'll explode, but is it possible to have a short habitat sitting one the surface with an IVA that extends below the bottom of the part to simulate the habitat being partially buried? Would this show up? Would it show up through the ground?

Thank you for any assistance that you can provide!

It's possible, but probably not by much in terms of aesthetic, since the camera cannot go below the ground level, so it's a bit hard to maneuver the camera to see the iva detail underground. But yes, it's possible to have IVA model extending outside the part model. The one thing that worries me is, if this part contains a kerbal, and it's located inside the IVA model (underground), would the game consider the kerbal in question being underground or not? If it is, there's a possibility that the kerbal dies (and might also destroying the part), if it's not, then it's okay :)

On 5/5/2017 at 0:20 PM, ARS said:

It's possible, but probably not by much in terms of aesthetic, since the camera cannot go below the ground level, so it's a bit hard to maneuver the camera to see the iva detail underground. But yes, it's possible to have IVA model extending outside the part model. The one thing that worries me is, if this part contains a kerbal, and it's located inside the IVA model (underground), would the game consider the kerbal in question being underground or not? If it is, there's a possibility that the kerbal dies (and might also destroying the part), if it's not, then it's okay :)

Thank you. I was actually hoping to make it compatible with the FreeIVA Mod, so I will have to test if that can noclip it's way through the ground. As for kerbals underground, I don't think the game considers Kerbals existing at all when they're inside another part. As well, as tater below you posted, this has been done before. So I think I'm good to go!

On 5/5/2017 at 1:05 PM, tater said:

Thank you! I also posted this question on the KSP Reddit, and was linked to this exact same mod! It's good to see that my idea should work pretty well. Now I just have to actually build the thing. : P

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 0:00 AM, jtfroh said:

Now I just have to actually build the thing. : P

It's already being worked on, why duplicate the effort?

Do you code or are you a modeler, or both?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.