[1.2.*, 1.3.1, 1.4.1, 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.7, 1.9] Triple-Z Radio Astronomy Telescope

An old mod, revived.  Original thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/84279-102-

Original authors: @zzz, @munseeker and @Angel-125

I've updated the description and fixed the reaction wheels, otherwise, no changes.

A new type of large radio telescope that can be packed into a small volume and deployed at remote locations. Contains a small SAS for stability control.

The telescope needs roughly 1 unit of electrical charge per second and does provide science reports both while landed as well as in space.

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/ZZZ-RadioTelescope

Download: https://spacedock.info/mod/1358

License: CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0

Dependency (for the contracts)

Install:

Copy the MunSeeker folder into your GameData folder. If there is an existing MunSeeker folder, copy the ZZZ_RadioTelescope folder into your existing MunSeeker folder.

Use:

The built-in SAS is for operating the telescope properly and it draws large amounts of electricity. It is recommended to turn the built-in reaction wheel OFF for launch and transportation.

9srVX24.png

VwDX72c.png

Lkj4nRu.png

The model and texture are from the always excellent zzz originally as part of a microwave receiver, the part.cfg for the radio telescope is by Munseeker. zzz released his model into the public domain and graciously gave me written permission to use as part of this mod.

The great science experiment code for the telescope has been provided by Angel-125.

This project is licensed non-commercial share-alike with attribution.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I was now looking around for Z things so I can start my own little project with them. It's nice to stumble across this on the way. Congrats on the release.

What's with the cupola with green inside it? Homebrew Snacks! greenhouse?

37 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Weird, but okay then. I asked because apparently there's a TAC/SETI greenhouse behind it.

The models for that greenhouse were released for fairly wide use by zzz - There's a mod that adapts them for USI-LS as well.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Many biomes, landed, in space, etc.

Thanks for reviving it!

I love the concept and the animations are excellent. The science flavor texts are great too, but the problem as it is right now is that I found it too much of a hassle. At the moment it is like a very big thermometer and soon it becomes too complicated to plan an efficient science mission with it.

I like it, but maybe it should behave more like an actual telescope? If it could be used to scan its surroundings or deep space and collect infrared, microwave, alpha, etc. radiation signatures or radio data that would be really fun, and make it quite more meaningful. Like the Tarsier Telescopes, CactEYE or even ScanSat.

3 hours ago, Supermarine said:

Thanks for reviving it!

I love the concept and the animations are excellent. The science flavor texts are great too, but the problem as it is right now is that I found it too much of a hassle. At the moment it is like a very big thermometer and soon it becomes too complicated to plan an efficient science mission with it.

I like it, but maybe it should behave more like an actual telescope? If it could be used to scan its surroundings or deep space and collect infrared, microwave, alpha, etc. radiation signatures or radio data that would be really fun, and make it quite more meaningful. Like the Tarsier Telescopes, CactEYE or even ScanSat.

Maybe later, feel free to add suggestions to the Github issues

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Something I might add later is a long-term collection method, where you need to put it in space and it gathers data over a long period of time.

That sounds great! It can behave like a telescope, but also like the science lab. Maybe it doesn't need to be crewed, but slowly covers a portion of the sky, like the SETI programs. :D

27 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

That sounds great! It can behave like a telescope, but also like the science lab. Maybe it doesn't need to be crewed, but slowly covers a portion of the sky, like the SETI programs. :D

Yes, but unless there is some code I can borrow, this will have to wait until after 1.3

Just now, DStaal said:

A Rendering:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Webb_Space_Telescope#/media/File:James_Webb_Space_Telescope_2009_top.jpg

It's a next-gen telescope, to do some of the same jobs as the Hubble - but it's designed to work in the IR spectrum.

Nice, so this is similar.  I'll have to look at this later

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.